Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

To the extent it can be taught....

JD needs to be a scramble to pass or a scramble and get out of bounds type of runner in the NFL

If he did that, i wouldnt be so upset about the pick. But he just doesnt do that. He checks his 1st read and then runs. He will be broken in half by the end of the 1st quarter of game 1.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

If he did that, i wouldnt be so upset about the pick. But he just doesnt do that. He checks his 1st read and then runs. He will be broken in half by the end of the 1st quarter of game 1.

I hear you.... I don't know if he can learn, but it's what we need to be pushing him towards

1 minute ago, HoggLife said:

I'm expecting NE to take him at 35

Would definitely make sense for them. I would really love their draft so far if they did.

Just now, DiscoBob said:

I hear you.... I don't know if he can learn, but it's what we need to be pushing him towards

Oh I agree. I just dont think it will happen

2 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

There's a QB thread and JD5 thread to discuss QBs. 

Unless you want to talk about drafting Milton or Pratt on day two, please keep it in those two other threads.

• Like 2

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Unless you want to talk about drafting Milton or Pratt on day two, please keep it in those two other threads.

Responded in here to someone else... but sure...........................

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Amegadjie is my guy at OT if we can't get Saumatia, but not at 36, not with so much more value to be had from other positions. 

I agree, have those 2 guys and Paul. Might be able to trade down a little from 40 if all 3 are still available at that point. Chargers and Titans certainly aren't dipping back into the OL pool between 36 and 40 so there's that, and a bunch of OL's went in the teens which is post 40 picks: Packers (41 and 58), Saints (45), Bengals (49), Steelers (51), Cowboys (56) and Bucs (57) all grabbed OL help in round 1 so probably wont be threats in round 2. It does give us some flexibility if we want to move further down from 40 to address OL (if not addressed at 36). 

2 hours ago, CommandB11 said:

He is the best OT available according to some "experts"

You don't take a guy 20-40 slots early to make sure. You can make trades, and sign released vets etc. It's also important to note as I did in prior posts:

The Titans, Chargers, Jets (who lack a 2nd for now), Packers (2 second rounders), Saints, Bengals, Steelers, Bucs, and Cowboys all took lineman in round 1 and pick after our slot 36 pick. There are A LOT of teams that won't be going OL in round 1 because they already did it in round 2 and literally all of them pick after our 36th pick and all but 2 of them, after our 40th. If you like 3 or 4 lineman, we definitely can move down from 36, and almost certainly can do trade keep if we want form 36 or 40 if we want and probably still get a guy we like. No reason at all to force a need pick at 36, NONE. 

• Like 7

For reference… Looking at 2nd-3rd (and some that may/will drop to, or belong in the 4th or even 5th), I combined PFF’s big board (through 120 or so), plus some additional guys that some on here are pretty high on… (note: I didn’t factor fit).

DE:  Kneeland, Braswell, Isaac, Trice, Booker, Kamara, Hunt, Ellis, Thomas, Soloman

WR:  McConkey, Mitchell, Polk, Wilson, Franklin, Coleman, McMillan, Baker, Walker, Corley, Burton, Malik’s Washington, Thrash, Cowing, Ainias Smith, Rice, Tahj Washington, McCaffrey

Corner:  Cooper, McKinstry, Tampa, Rakestraw, Lassiter, Sainristril, Melton, Jackson, Green, Abrams-Draine, Jarrion Jones, Phillips, Carson

Tackle:  Paul, Suamataia, Amegadie, Rosengarten, Fisher, Wallace, Puni, Goncalves, Jones, Lumea, Adams, Foster 

LB:  Cooper, Colson, Wilson, Trotter, Eichenberg, Liufau

S:  Nubian, Bullard, Hicks, Bullock, Taylor-Demerson, Kinchens, Vaki

RB:  Brooks, Corum, Wright, Benson, Irving, Davis, Lloyd, Tracy, Estime

TE:  Sinnot, Sanders, Stover, All, Wiley, Johnson

Obviously I didn’t include G (some of the tackles may move inside though) or DT, although I don’t know that we should rule them out (would be wild if we nab Newton at 36/40, lol).

1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

Cooper DeJean  is the slam dunk pick, I’m praying he’s there. It’s a perfect fit. Plus he gives you return value.

I know we need a OT but we CAN’T reach on a guy when a blue chip player like Cooper is there. 

Special Teams returned game seems on the precipice of being eliminated entirely. I like the guy and see him as one of the best values on the board, but the ST's piece, which was once a HEAVY reason for selecting specific guys on day 3 because that was a way you could justify their roster stashing is fading w/the deemphasis of ST's with rule changes for the safety of players. Not sure its donezo yet, but honestly, I'd ignore ST's value at this point long term anyway. Also I'd suggest not getting enamored with any specific guy, there's a reason the pay out for nailing picks at slot in futures betting gets higher here and its because boards start to get really different and really weird and team specific in terms of needs in positional groupings. I do agree that a DB or WR seems like the best value for pick though, with DeJean probably being the best value left along with McConkey. I'm very alarmed that multiple mocks issued this morning have literally every one we want getting peeled off 33, 34, 35 lol. Hoping those are based on mockers boards, and not on "talk on the street" about what the Bills, Cardinals and Pats are likely to do (and they may trade down too other than probably the Bills). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

There are plenty of concerns with Daniels, but 1 read and go isn’t one of them, IMO.

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oops, you’re right

• Like 2

Just now, skinny21 said:

There are plenty of concerns with Daniels, but 1 read and go isn’t one of them, IMO.

He had moments of not doing it, but I saw it happen more often than not. The issue is, his 1st read was usually so wide open, he just threw the ball. But when covered, his instinct was to just take off. If he can fix it, good. If not, he wont last and we have wasted another shot at a franchise qb.

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

We really have to take one of the OT with one of 2nd round picks. 

Nope. Talent really isn't there, beyond Paul, maybe, and a ton of teams that pick between 37 and 58 already took OL's (I believe 7 of the 17 slots between 41 and 58 took OL yesterday and 9 of the 21 between 37 and 58 took OL's). OL's could fall, easily, in round 2, and certainly should fall if you like 4-5 or more, to the mid 40s to early 60's and maybe later. We can afford to trade down from 40 for OL help, or wait at 67. We don't need to, nor should we, force a pick here. Have to use the board and team needs to our advantage. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Special Teams returned game seems on the precipice of being eliminated entirely. I like the guy and see him as one of the best values on the board, but the ST's piece, which was once a HEAVY reason for selecting specific guys on day 3 because that was a way you could justify their roster stashing is fading w/the deemphasis of ST's with rule changes for the safety of players. Not sure its donezo yet, but honestly, I'd ignore ST's value at this point long term anyway. Also I'd suggest not getting enamored with any specific guy, there's a reason the pay out for nailing picks at slot in futures betting gets higher here and its because boards start to get really different and really weird and team specific in terms of needs in positional groupings. I do agree that a DB or WR seems like the best value for pick though, with DeJean probably being the best value left along with McConkey. I'm very alarmed that multiple mocks issued this morning have literally every one we want getting peeled off 33, 34, 35 lol. Hoping those are based on mockers boards, and not on "talk on the street" about what the Bills, Cardinals and Pats are likely to do (and they may trade down too other than probably the Bills). 

My impression is that STs just got more important… or at least will lead to a change in how it’s approached.  So it kinda feels like teams will be scrambling to add guys that fit the new rules.  But yeah, definite de-emphasis on the “classic” return man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I understand sticking with the board, BPA, all that stuff.  But we have absolutely nothing at LT.  How can we go corner and WR at 36 and 40, and have any level of comfort about Daniels blindside.

The talent available is not in the same "likely sure thing" zone as the best available guys. You reach for an OL here, you are reaching for a question mark. Everyone knew that there would be a huge OL run and it happened, nobody reached into round 1 the last 7 picks because the talent had already been peeled off. I suspect some teams will reach for OL in round 2, but there's not a lot of teams that are likely to do it at slot, the risk, if there is one, would be teams trading up, because most of the teams with big enough needs, already addressed it. Its just the Pats, Bears, Us and a few others, and if you're like me, you're just looking for the best available lineman, rather than position specific targets since OT got pillaged slot 5 through 29 w/Guyton. 

Play it smart, we need DB, WR, OT, G, TE, LB, we should be peeling off the best available talent at slot, and trading down if there are enough guys we like in a tier to justify the move. If the team is set on taking an OL in round 2, I'd suggest moving the 40 for a later 40 or early 50 slot pick and a late 3rd or day 3 pick (whatever is market value, I'm too lazy to look). Paul is probably the only OT worth 36th, and I don't see him good enough to justify passing on the DB and WR talent when there are another 2 or 3 guys I have around him in value at OT (as well as IOL guys). I really hope they trade down from 40 to recoup some round 4 capital in addition to whatever pick we get via moving in round 2. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Nope. Talent really isn't there, beyond Paul, maybe, and a ton of teams that pick between 37 and 58 already took OL's (I believe 7 of the 17 slots between 41 and 58 took OL yesterday and 9 of the 21 between 37 and 58 took OL's). OL's could fall, easily, in round 2, and certainly should fall if you like 4-5 or more, to the mid 40s to early 60's and maybe later. We can afford to trade down from 40 for OL help, or wait at 67. We don't need to, nor should we, force a pick here. Have to use the board and team needs to our advantage. 

Paul the guy we need to take