Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome OC Kliff Kingsbury

cboatner

I guess interesting thing is that Howell was quite effective in UNC's air raid system but obviously not having Kyler Murray quickness or speed.

They do talk about Cardinals really investing heavily in WR but not the OL as one of the reason for their failures... Kind of sound like the offensive personnel issues we had here in Washington. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-3-reasons-why-cardinals-fired-kliff-kingsbury/

Also there are other reports, outside this one, that hints that maybe Kliff just really wasn't a good HC in general.  Maybe him just focusing on offense will help him focus on adjusting the air raid system to be a consistently effective system in the NFL.

As we see more of the QBs growing up running the air raid system, it would be the ultimate cheat code against the current NFL team building structure if you are some able to be open to wider QB talent pool coming up from the college ranks.  If we can to any degree "devalue" the QB position to be able to **** the cap space to other parts of the roster then it could really change the game.  Of course I say this while Kliff Kingsbury drafted Kyler Murry with the 1st overall pick so this could be just my pure rabbit hole thought.

I will be honest.  I am excited to see the Air Raid system get an another shot in the NFL to see if it can be adapted to succeed consistently.  Not sure I am happy to see that this experiment will happen in Washington because there is significant amount of risk but at least we won't be boring like watching Scott Turner's offense.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I could see the game against Arizona being a MNF/TNF game next year.  

They won't make a team travel that far for a TNF game. Possibly MNF though but neither team has much national cred to be getting primetime games.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

They won't make a team travel that far for a TNF game. Possibly MNF though but neither team has much national cred to be getting primetime games.

haha yup how much interest is there nationally for Kingsbury and Murray drama.  Not much.  I didnt have much interest prior to Kingsbury getting hired here as OC and I still dont!

What to expect from Kliff Kingsbury as the Commanders new offensive coordinator

Taking a closer look at what the Commanders offense might look like under new offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury

The Washington Commanders have hired Kliff Kingsbury to be their new offensive coordinator under head coach Dan Quinn. Kingsbury joins after having previously spent four years as the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals before spending last year on the USC staff helping develop projected number one pick quarterback Caleb Williams. When Kingsbury made the jump to the NFL with the Cardinals in 2019, many were skeptical of his offensive system and how it would translate from college and I’m sure many Washington fans reading this will hold those same concerns. 

The concerns around Kingsbury’s offense stem from his system in college. Kingsbury used the popular “Air Raid” system in college, which involves spreading out the defense with three and even four wide receivers and trying to attack down the field. There’s very little running game, lots of bubble screens and everything is run almost exclusively out of the shotgun. There’s also very little huddling as the offense looks to use tempo to play fast and exploit defenses that aren’t ready for the snap. 

In the NFL, however, Kingsbury’s offense was quite different. In fact the offense in his last year in the league back in 2022 was much more conventional than the system he used in college. That’s not to say he changed everything, some of the traits like heavy shotgun usage and up-tempo periods carried over, but Kingsbury was also wise enough to know he needed to add more to his system for it to be successful at the NFL level. 

One of the main concerns surrounded his run game, as there was very little running in the Air Raid system in college. The Cardinals ran the ball plenty during Kingsbury’s four years and were actually pretty efficient at it too. It certainly helped to have an athletic quarterback like Kyler Murray that could add on to the run game and create issues for the defense from a numbers perspective, but the Caridnals run game was more than just Murray. They deployed a gap scheme rushing attack with some fun twists to change things up............................

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/5/2024 at 6:32 PM, Ghost of said:

I remember Kliff as a hell of a QB at Texas Tech.  I didn't remember him winning the Sammy Baugh award but good for him.

His senior year at TT under Mike Leach was incredible. Dude threw the ball all over the field that season. 

I just hope all our offensive coaches can get on the same page. We have Kingsbury, we have Johnson who comes from the Sirianni tree, and we're keeping Prithcard who comes from whatever the heck we were trying to do offensively the last few years(that's not a knock on Pritchard, circumstances can sometimes suck). We're going to be drafting a QB at #2 and the one thing that effs up young QBs more than anything else is everyone not being on the same page regarding how he needs to develop.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 2:20 PM, Warhead36 said:

I just hope all our offensive coaches can get on the same page. We have Kingsbury, we have Johnson who comes from the Sirianni tree, and we're keeping Prithcard who comes from whatever the heck we were trying to do offensively the last few years(that's not a knock on Pritchard, circumstances can sometimes suck). We're going to be drafting a QB at #2 and the one thing that effs up young QBs more than anything else is everyone not being on the same page regarding how he needs to develop.

It is such an interesting situation currently.

Hopefully Kingsbury has a similar plan as Joe Whitt, Jr. Start with a solid foundation, and build the offense as a group. “We have a base structure of what we want to do... So what we're going to do, and that's another reason why we brought coaches from different schemes and we were very strategic from where we brought these coaches from, because we're going to build the Commanders defense."

Both sides of the ball are building their schemes with very varied backgrounds, and without the benefit of having very many specific players to build with them in mind. They're identifying who on the current roster are their foundational pieces, and defining the player types that they want brought in at each position. They know full well that FA and the draft, based on their roster evaluation, should redefine their foundational pieces to a degree in a couple of months. Roster turnover is a given for each team every year, but building new schemes, and following that up with tailoring your plans for a potentially large number of new specific pieces sounds daunting.

For the offensive staff, this has to be so much more challenging right now. Creating an offense with a starting QB to be named later, leaves out an extremely significant focus. There's obviously a ton they can and will do, probably including coming up with more specific plans for each of the QB possibilities, but your starting QB is such a huge focus.  Waiting months for that to solidify makes it tough.

If there were ever a time to be a fly on the wall for me, it would be now, and for the next few months, listening to the offensive coaching staff create and modify their new offense.  And then especially right after they get their QB, when they can then immediately focus on his specific traits and strengths.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, SkinsNatsFan said:

If there were ever a time to be a fly on the wall for me, it would be now, and for the next few months, listening to the offensive coaching staff create and modify their new offense.  And then especially right after they get their QB, when they can then immediately focus on his specific traits and strengths.

Yep agreed. That and sit in on their discussions regarding the QB prospects. Would love to hear everyone's true blue thoughts.