Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Final Score History (35-33)

kleese

There have only been six total games in NFL history that have ended 35-33. Washington has been involved in two of them now: 

11-15-70: Giants 35, Redskins 33 at Yankee Stadium. Washington entered the game at 4-4 while the Giants came in at 5-3. So this was a big game for the Redskins at the time. After having to settle for FOUR first half FGs, Washington exploded in the third quarter and wound up taking a 33-14 lead into the 4th. But the Giants rallied for 21 unanswered points in the 4th to steal the victory. 

So Washington is now 1-1 in 35-33 games, both coming on the road. Full list of all games:

1951: Packers 35, Steelers 33

1970: Giants 35, Redskins 33

1985 Browns 35, Giants 33

2012 Colts 35, Lions 33

2015 Colts 35, Titans 33

2023: Commanders 35, Broncos 33

All six of these games would be considered come from behind wins; the 2015 Colts game is the ONLY one on the list where the go ahead points were scored late (in that game Colts rallied from down 13 in third quarter and then Titans actually scored late but missed conversion— very similar to our game in Denver). 

Had the Hail Mary not been caught? While there is a slightly longer list of 35-27 NFL games, it would have been the first time in Washington franchise history a game landed there. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for these kleese, really cool to go back in the archives and sometimes remember a game or two that way.  I thought maybe in 91 when the Skins were on the march that the Dallas game was 35-33 but checked and saw it was 33-31.

What amazes me is that a franchise that has been around since 37 does not have game they won with a score 35-27.  That's not that oddball a score.  Hmmm, maybe we are just that oddball a franchise.

Edited by RFK Lives
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 11:12 AM, RFK Lives said:

Thanks for these kleese, really cool to go back in the archives and sometimes remember a game or two that way.  I thought maybe in 91 when the Skins were on the march that the Dallas game was 35-33 but checked and saw it was 33-31.

What amazes me is that a franchise that has been around since 37 does not have game they won with a score 35-27.  That's not that oddball a score.  Hmmm, maybe we are just that oddball a franchise.

Win or lose actually. That surprised me as well. 

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

And how many of those did the losing team kick a field goal at the end to save from getting shutout? 

That was just bad.

Before the game I was talking to someone about McVay kicking a meaningless FG at the end of the Rams loss to SF last week. Apparently McVay said something about it potentially mattering for tie-breaking purposes for the paloffs. However, anything involving points is fairly far down the list of tie-breakers.

23 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Before the game I was talking to someone about McVay kicking a meaningless FG at the end of the Rams loss to SF last week. Apparently McVay said something about it potentially mattering for tie-breaking purposes for the paloffs. However, anything involving points is fairly far down the list of tie-breakers.

Tell that to the 1979 Redskins 

58 minutes ago, kleese said:

Tell that to the 1979 Redskins 

Good point Ed in reference to what will always be the most painful loss in my Redskins Fandom. However, it does seem like the points tiebreaker is significantly further down the pecking order now compared to what it was in 1979:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1979/12/18/pardee-assails-tie-breaker-calls-team-nfcs-best/f7dadac6-10e2-42cc-838a-83e59113cdf1/

18 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Good point Ed in reference to what will always be the most painful loss in my Redskins Fandom. However, it does seem like the points tiebreaker is significantly further down the pecking order now compared to what it was in 1979:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1979/12/18/pardee-assails-tie-breaker-calls-team-nfcs-best/f7dadac6-10e2-42cc-838a-83e59113cdf1/

It’s definitely down the order now almost to the point of irrelevance. Wish I could remember the year, I believe it was mid to late 90’s the last time I can remember it being a big deal in the final weekend. There were multiple teams involved and I distinctly recall Berman’s recap on Primetime doing a bit about it cutting back and forth to different games.