Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Someone is posting cutups of the 2024 QBs passes from every game

DRAKE MAYE

JAYDEN DANIELS

To be fair I included the games against their toughest competition (Maye vs Clemson and Daniels vs Alabama).

I have watched Maye many times. If there is a game you really think I should see, please link me! All I see from Maye is accuracy issues, not having a great feel for pressure, a pretty deep ball, and I know everyone says he's fast but he reads slow on tape. He's not going to be running by anyone in the NFL. 

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Looks like he has bulked up a little bit as well. His pro day is going to be must watch TV. 

Yeah, but hope he’s not sacrificing speed for his testing. Want to see what he truly times.  

Interesting nugget:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But IMHO Drake Maye is the no brainer pick at #2.

He is, and every GM in the league agrees.  This has always been a class with two major prizes at QB, Daniels is just an abnormally nice consolation for QB3.

We're gonna get Drake Maye, and we're going to be in the playoffs hunt every healthy year he has for the next ten years.  Exciting times.  I can't wait to see how we start building the team around him.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He is, and every GM in the league agrees.  This has always been a class with two major prizes at QB, Daniels is just an abnormally nice consolation for QB3.

We're gonna get Drake Maye, and we're going to be in the playoffs hunt every healthy year he has for the next ten years.  Exciting times.  I can't wait to see how we start building the team around him.

Just like every scout/GM agreed Tua was better than Herbert and Young was better than Stroud lol?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I have watched Maye many times. If there is a game you really think I should see, please link me! All I see from Maye is accuracy issues, not having a great feel for pressure, a pretty deep ball, and I know everyone says he's fast but he reads slow on tape. He's not going to be running by anyone in the NFL. 

He’s not going to be breaking a whole bunch of 50+ yard runs, but looks to me like he’s enough of a threat to takeoff if the play breaks down that it should be a factor and you could incorporate some designed QB runs into the offense. He’s not Lamar but I bet he could be in the conversation with say Daniel Jones.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

3 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

He’s not going to be breaking a whole bunch of 50+ yard runs, but looks to me like he’s enough of a threat to takeoff if the play breaks down that it should be a factor and you could incorporate some designed QB runs into the offense. He’s not Lamar but I bet he could be in the conversation with say Daniel Jones.

I think what is more impressive about him is that he's strong. He's not fast or shifty so I don't see him running away from many people but there are a number of times where it takes more than one guy to bring him down and he gets the ball off so that is a positive with him that I like. 

They all have flaws. All three of them. But Williams and Maye are about as clean of prospects ON THE FIELD that you are going to find. I was not really hot on Maye until I went and watched a lot of his 2022 tape. He got a new OC for 23 and it showed. He was just much more fluid and confident in 22. I think Caleb is the better prospect by quite a lot. I think he has a chance to be a legit threat to take you to a Super Bowl every year. But no one knows. You can only grade what you see on tape. 

Daniels mid field passing and processing is poor to me on tape. Especially in the mid range in cutting routes. He had one good year, with 2 of the best WR's in College Football and is frail for an NFL QB imo.

I say all of this as an amatuer. I will trust the guys in charge to make the right decision. And I will root for whichever that guy is with all of my heart to take us to the promised land.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Just like every scout/GM agreed Tua was better than Herbert and Young was better than Stroud lol?

Nah. 

Inside the minds of two NFL evaluators who make case for Justin Herbert over Tagovailoa

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero said he polled NFL executives and asked which of the two quarterbacks will be the second QB selected behind Joe Burrow. He said seven indicated Herbert would be, and five said Tua.

And two veteran personnel evaluators that I respect -- a longtime veteran scout for an NFC team and a longtime personnel executive for both AFC and NFC teams - insisted to me that selecting Herbert over Tagovailoa cannot only be justified but is the right move.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article241504986.html

NFL scout explains why he'd take Oregon's Justin Herbert over Tua Tagovailoa in 2020 Draft

“If I was on the clock right now, I’d go with Herbert,” an NFL scout told Yahoo!. “He’s taller and fits the prototype more. I really like his arm strength and ability to stay in the pocket. Tua has three or four first-round picks on offense with him, and Herbert has Dillon Mitchell. That’s pretty much it. Tua has a lot to work with. He’s got first- and second-rounders galore around him that makes his job easier.”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nfl-scout-explains-why-hed-take-oregons-justin-herbert-over-tua-tagovailoa-in-2020-nfl-draft/

Yeah people talk like taking Maye is some kinda super reach akin to taking someone like Christian Ponder or Kenny Pickett. Hes been lauded as a top prospect for a while now. You can make legit arguments for him to be taken number 1. You might like other guys more but there is no reason to feel anything but happiness at the thought of Maye QB-ing this team.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Commander202 said:

I hope people can stop saying howie roseman a good GM. Probably the most overrated dude I ever seen. He lucked out in 2017 .

Hes good at maximizing his assets and playing the value game but I dont think hes a draft/personnel guru. Hes a good GM but not among the leagues best.

What am I missing about Drake Maye? Watching that Clemson game of his, and Clemson was not good this year, I did not see progression of reads. I saw inaccuracies. I saw one look, then run. He did not look that great to me, so what am I missing that people are seeing that he should go #2 to Washington?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Nah. 

Inside the minds of two NFL evaluators who make case for Justin Herbert over Tagovailoa

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero said he polled NFL executives and asked which of the two quarterbacks will be the second QB selected behind Joe Burrow. He said seven indicated Herbert would be, and five said Tua.

And two veteran personnel evaluators that I respect -- a longtime veteran scout for an NFC team and a longtime personnel executive for both AFC and NFC teams - insisted to me that selecting Herbert over Tagovailoa cannot only be justified but is the right move.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article241504986.html

NFL scout explains why he'd take Oregon's Justin Herbert over Tua Tagovailoa in 2020 Draft

“If I was on the clock right now, I’d go with Herbert,” an NFL scout told Yahoo!. “He’s taller and fits the prototype more. I really like his arm strength and ability to stay in the pocket. Tua has three or four first-round picks on offense with him, and Herbert has Dillon Mitchell. That’s pretty much it. Tua has a lot to work with. He’s got first- and second-rounders galore around him that makes his job easier.”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nfl-scout-explains-why-hed-take-oregons-justin-herbert-over-tua-tagovailoa-in-2020-nfl-draft/

A few outliers, there will always be exceptions but the consensus was Burrow then Tua and then Young then Stroud. 

The only people who got both right from the beginning were Chris Simms and Louis Riddick. 

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

A few outliers, there will always be exceptions but the consensus was Burrow then Tua and then Young then Stroud. 

The only people who got both right from the beginning were Chris Simms and Louis Riddick. 

Chris Simms has been absolutely nailing his QB evaluations, in my opinion

5 minutes ago, Commander Adama said:

What am I missing about Drake Maye? Watching that Clemson game of his, and Clemson was not good this year, I did not see progression of reads. I saw inaccuracies. I saw one look, then run. He did not look that great to me, so what am I missing that people are seeing that he should go #2 to Washington?

Thats funny because he’s definitely going thru reads and I saw him show some good mobility and deliver some beautiful strikes. He does dirtball a few passes to covered receivers though and occasionally shows happy feet which will be cleaned up by a real NFL coach.

• Like 2

How in the world is that the conclusion you come to after seeing what I posted:

1. Tua vs Herbert: 12 NFL executives were polled and 7 chose Herbert. That’s not “a few outliers”
  2. Young vs Stroud: Bryce was said to have a “slight edge” over CJ, but “very split”. In no world does that equate to “a few outliers”. 

Maybe you’re thinking about the draftnik community as a whole, but that’s not what you said. When it comes to league execs and scouts there was a nearly even split b/w Tua / Herbert and Stroud / Young. It really came down to which team was on the clock. 

34 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Should be the most fun off seasons in eons 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

They all have flaws. All three of them. But Williams and Maye are about as clean of prospects ON THE FIELD that you are going to find. I was not really hot on Maye until I went and watched a lot of his 2022 tape. He got a new OC for 23 and it showed. He was just much more fluid and confident in 22. I think Caleb is the better prospect by quite a lot. I think he has a chance to be a legit threat to take you to a Super Bowl every year. But no one knows. You can only grade what you see on tape. 

Daniels mid field passing and processing is poor to me on tape. Especially in the mid range in cutting routes. He had one good year, with 2 of the best WR's in College Football and is frail for an NFL QB imo.

I say all of this as an amatuer. I will trust the guys in charge to make the right decision. And I will root for whichever that guy is with all of my heart to take us to the promised land.  

I don't want it to seem like I wouldn't root for Maye. If we draft him I will be his biggest cheerleader. I did not like Howell much during the draft process (didn't really like anyone that year - especially not Ridder or Willis) but rooted for him all season. 

Now is the time to evaluate and examine though. I have to dig more into his 2022 tape also to be fair. I watched about half of his games but never did finish the rest. I'm always weary of QBs who come into the draft having not played their best ball (which also concerns me about Caleb)

I also agree they all have flaws. This class isn't as bad as Howell's year but I also don't love it as much as others seem to (I keep seeing people say it's a great year for QBs). 

Williams is my #1 because I think his ceiling is sky high. He is also IMO the biggest risk but ite a risk worth taking if he can put it all together.

16 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

They all have flaws. All three of them. But Williams and Maye are about as clean of prospects ON THE FIELD that you are going to find. I was not really hot on Maye until I went and watched a lot of his 2022 tape. He got a new OC for 23 and it showed. He was just much more fluid and confident in 22. I think Caleb is the better prospect by quite a lot. I think he has a chance to be a legit threat to take you to a Super Bowl every year. 

You summed up exactly what I think of the two qbs here. I did not like Maye much at all from this season. But '22 was an eye opener. Williams is still better to me, but it isnt as much of a gap as I originally thought.

Edited by CommandB11

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Thats funny because he’s definitely going thru reads and I saw him show some good mobility and deliver some beautiful strikes. He does dirtball a few passes to covered receivers though and occasionally shows happy feet which will be cleaned up by a real NFL coach.

I only saw a few where he was going through progression. I didn't see reads for Daniels either, but I saw great mobility and better accuracy from him on the Alabama game. Not sure that is just what I am seeing.

8 minutes ago, Commander Adama said:

Chris Simms has been absolutely nailing his QB evaluations, in my opinion

Here are his rankings - I'm really interested in what they will be this year

2023:

Stroud

Young

Hooker

Richardson

DRT

Levis

2022: (I'll give him a pass for this, bad class and Corral quit football before taking a real snap)

Corral

Willis

Pickett

Howell

Ridder

2021:

Wilson

Lawrence

Jones

Mond

Fields

Lance

2020 (NAILED THIS ONE)

Burrow

Herbert

Love

Tua

Eason

2019:

Murray

Lock

Haskins

Finely

Stidham

Jones

2018:

Allen

Rosen

Mayfield

Jackson

Darnold

Here are his rankings - I'm really interested in what they will be this year

2023:

Stroud

Young

Hooker

Richardson

DRT

Levis

2022: (I'll give him a pass for this, bad class and Corral quit football before taking a real snap)

Corral

Willis

Pickett

Howell

Ridder

2021:

Wilson

Lawrence

Jones

Mond

Fields

Lance

2020 (NAILED THIS ONE)

Burrow

Herbert

Love

Tua

Eason

2019:

Murray

Lock

Haskins

Finely

Stidham

Jones

2018:

Allen

Rosen

Mayfield

Jackson

Darnold

What I also loved on his takes was it was solely his own. A lot of pundits had other QBs as their consensus best QBs, but he broke down who he liked and had really good takes.