Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Football 2023

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think the only way the Pac 10 and ACC survive is probably some type of coast to coast merger. 

Serves the ACC right if they do fold. ESPN started this whole thing when they raided the Big East for the ACC 20 years ago. 

That said I'm surprised that Stanford and Cal aren't being recruited. Stanford's overall athletics program is constantly ranked high and Cal also brings the Bay Area (when they eventually rebound in football and basketball). Plus both are A+++ academic institutions. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

That said I'm surprised that Stanford and Cal aren't being recruited. Stanford's overall athletics program is constantly ranked high and Cal also brings the Bay Area (when they eventually rebound in football and basketball). Plus both are A+++ academic institutions

They have academic standards which are perceived negatives in the landscape of college athletics. Wouldn't wanna lose out on a five star recruit with low test scores, bad grades, and only a few after school activities. 🤓

51 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I mean I understand that this is driven by money. But if I’m ESPN or Fox or whatever, I”d pay up to dictate the schedules and not be bound by these conferences. Cut out the middleman. 

The conferences are like a union for the individual schools, and ESPN and Fox are on the other side.  The bargaining power of any one school, aside from like 6 of them, is not great.  The collective bargaining power of the SEC and Big10 is enormous.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz

47 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

They have academic standards which are perceived negatives in the landscape of college athletics. Wouldn't wanna lose out on a five star recruit with low test scores, bad grades, and only a few after school activities. 🤓

This is probably for a different thread, but I think there is a real opportunity for this to change.  Like, would anyone fault Stanford's "academic standards" if they were like, "look, 5-star monster DE that we recruited grew up in poverty stricken [wherever], so sure, his grades haven't been good to date, but it's not his fault he had basically no educational opportunity.  So we're going to bring him to Stanford, and yes, he's going to play football, but he's also going to get all the benefits of a STANFORD education."  And then, obviously, make sure the kid goes to class and has academic help and whatnot. Is anyone seriously going to be like "STANFORD IS NO LONGER AN ELITE ACADEMIC INSTITUTION"  **** no. 

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, skinswillwin06 said:

Seems to me that the ultimate end game is two or three mega conferences, each with regional divisions (atlantic, pacific, etc) and the end of the NCAA. Sad day for college sports.

Well, the NCAA as a body is one of the most worthless and corrupt institutions in America, so good ****ing riddance to it, hopefully. And yea, 3 or 4 mega conferences, but the haphazard way theyve been stitched together over many years with no coherent plan is pretty senseless. 

5 hours ago, skinswillwin06 said:

Seems to me that the ultimate end game is two or three mega conferences, each with regional divisions (atlantic, pacific, etc) and the end of the NCAA. Sad day for college sports.

Make it two conferences on separate networks and replicate the late 90s WCW/WWE battle. 

image.gif.8c6f6bfc44a54449f263c0529238f0cd.gif

26 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I suspect it's the only way the ACC and Pac12 can survive. Especially if FSU and Clemson join the SEC. Otherwise there is a Power 4 and the PAC/ACC become lesser conferences like the Mountain West and Conference USA. 

52 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

So, the PAC 10/12 is down to what?Pac 4?

Yep.

Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, and Washington State. 

Can't believe WVU to the B12 ended up being the right move. Especially since the ACC made so much sense way back when. 

Preseason Coaches Poll

1. Georgia (61)
  2. Michigan
  3. Alabama (4)
  4. Ohio State (1)
  5. LSU
  6. USC
  7. Penn State
  8. Florida State
  9. Clemson
  10. Tennessee
  11. Washington
  12. Texas
  13. Notre Dame
  14. Utah
  15. Oregon
  16. TCU
  17. Kansas State
  18. Oregon State
  19. Oklahoma
  20. North Carolina
  21. Wisconsin
  22. Ole Miss
  23. Tulane
  24. Texas Tech
  25. Texas A&M

Others receiving votes: Iowa 169; South Carolina 89; Florida 63; UTSA 59; 

Pittsburgh 52; UCLA 42; Kentucky 34; Baylor 28; 

Troy 25; Arkansas 20; 

NC State 19; Fresno State 19; Boise State 18; Auburn 18; Minnesota 16; 

Miami 16; Mississippi State 13; 

Oklahoma State 12; Missouri 11; 

Maryland 10;  SMU 8; South Alabama 8; Illinois 7; Wake Forest 6; Air Force 6; Toledo 5; 

Washington State 4; Houston 3; 

Duke 2;  Brigham Young 2; 

Arizona 2; Memphis 1; Kansas 1; 

James Madison 1