Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Locksley's comments on Wentz and Bryan Robinson

philibusters

Locksley is the Maryland Terrapins head coach but also a big Washington Commanders fan having grown up in the area.  Here are his Washington Commanders comments from his appearance on the Kevin Sheehan show... 

ON WASHINGTON SIGNING CARSON WENTZ

"Obviously, everybody puts their evaluation. And I think coach Rivera, and obviously the powers that be over there [think] he is a guy that has taken Philly to the Super Bowl. You look at the Indy [Colts] what they were able to do last year, so he's a winner. And I think that's the first thing you look for when you review a recruit or draft. The quarterback is somebody that has the ability to lead a team. And I think he has proven that. Now obviously, he's dealt with some injuries and hasn't, you know, been as healthy the last few years all the way through. But I don't have a problem with it. When you look at the quarterback market, there wasn't a lot of value out there. And I think of all of them, he was one of the best because of the winning pedigree goes from."

ON COMMANDERS DRAFT PICK BRYAN ROBINSON, WHO PLAYED FOR HIM AT BAMA

"B-Rob, as we call him, is a load as a ball carrier, but had the ability to hit the home run. He catches the ball well out of the backfield. You know, I always described him as kind of one of those angry runners. And he is a tough, tough tackle. You know, he's obviously played behind some great ones, a couple of first-rounders in Josh Jacobs and Najee Harris and then Damien Harris, who starred for the Patriots." But he held his own in that room and again, to see what he did last year, I think he'll have an opportunity to be a great addition to the Commanders."

ON WHO HE'D COMPARE ROBINSON TO

"For our Maryland listeners, and I actually just had a conversation with them about Lamont Jordan, who I coached here at Maryland, who played with the Jets. And how Lamont was the big-bodied, 230 pounds, he was a 225 pound-running back that had the ability to hit the home run. And B-Rob has that. You know, as far as a current running back, there's so much running back by committee in the league, that it's hard to even kind of compare him to, but I do think he's kind of one of those throwback tailbacks that you can leave out there. He gets stronger as the game goes on. He's a really good pass protector, catches the ball well, and like I said, very diverse as a runner. He can run inside the tackles, but I've seen him run the outside zone and you know, the different plays to get where the ball gets on the perimeter and corners and safeties have to try to tackle him."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Thoughts on if Brian Robinson Jr becomes a bell cow back in this offense with Gibson moving to more of a gadget player? 

If I had to guess, I don't think they will pigeon hole either of them to begin with. I bet they get close to even carries at the beginning then who knows what happens as the season goes on. I think the bottom line is that we have flexibility and the coaches will adapt to what they see on the field.

Edited by Stadium-Armory
  • Like 1

I’m hoping his pass pro is as good as has been discussed, because it’s can be a sneaky, big time component.  While McKissick is a good pass protector, you don’t really want him in the backfield on 1st and 2nd downs too often, and if Gibson is in, you’re taking a bit of a risk leaving him in to block.  

Robinson’s pass pro (ideally) gives Turner more confidence:

Sending TEs on routes

Passing on 1st and 2nd

Calling passes on 3rd and short in 4 down territory

To use 2 back sets