Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It feels tailor made to what we need.  Feels like a no brainer to trade down, and I suspect we pull it off.

You can get your O lineman and CB in the first two rounds.  

Hoepfully you pick up another 2nd-3rd round pick where you can double down on O line and maybe go edge.

I am blown away by this edge class even more so than CB.  It would be a crime IMO to not get one of these guys.

Center in the 3rd-4th round range is perfect.

And heck it appears they want to add a RB and safety and LB -- 4th-5th roundish.

If they trade down and can add 2-3 picks like last year, this draft looks like a perfect symphony for them to match BPA to need.

This regime has been hit and miss in FA but they've drafted pretty well so I am psyched for this draft. 

This so looks like a great game plan.  If it falls this way, we’ll be a stronger team.

Many thanks to all the draftniks who share their insights - it makes this time of year so interesting to be a fan.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It feels tailor made to what we need.  Feels like a no brainer to trade down, and I suspect we pull it off.

You can get your O lineman and CB in the first two rounds.  

Hoepfully you pick up another 2nd-3rd round pick where you can double down on O line and maybe go edge.

I am blown away by this edge class even more so than CB.  It would be a crime IMO to not get one of these guys.

Center in the 3rd-4th round range is perfect.

And heck it appears they want to add a RB and safety and LB -- 4th-5th roundish.

If they trade down and can add 2-3 picks like last year, this draft looks like a perfect symphony for them to match BPA to need.

This regime has been hit and miss in FA but they've drafted pretty well so I am psyched for this draft. 

Yeah, I agree. This could be a really huge draft for us. We're in agreement about our roster being close, too.

I also really like how our draft picks come alive in year two. If we can get half of last years picks to pop off, we're in great shape.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Personally i am with Logan Paulsen's point among others on this its a good draft at some spots and not good at other spots.  It's the deepest draft I can recall in eons at CB, edge, and TE.   I think the top 10 is weaker than usual.    But we aren't picking top 10.  I think there is plenty of fish in that 2nd-4th round range at that spots we are likely fishing for.

I'd break it down this way compared to recent classes:

QB: better than average

RB: very strong class

TE: strongest in a while

WR: worst since 2018 and the second worst group of the class.  IMO JSN and Q are the only solid first round receivers, with Hyatt being a fringe first.  Too many of the good receivers are tiny this year

OL: very poor as a group, worse than usual, but there are five solid first round OLs

Edge: strongest class in a while, by far the strongest position group of this class.  There are going to be guys with ~3rd-4th round make up going in the sixth and seventh.  We had a string of guys get drafted in the early seventh round of our mock draft who have grades better than most of the players at other positions drafted multiple rounds ahead of them.

IDL: worse than average, and the top guy in the class has a huge character flag.  The depth is not very good here, a lot of the edges could be moved inside to compensate

LB: a little worse than average, but not a bad group.  Not a banner year like 2020.

CB: a great year.  Far better than average.

S: a terrible crop.  Rivals WR for the worst group of the class, but it will be bolstered by a lot of the CBs moving to S in the NFL.  But in the meantime, this is one of the slowest safety classes in recent memory.

I think the class is saved by being strong in money positions like edge and corner, and having multiple high end RB and QB prospects that can become face of the league type players.

But no matter what, you can find great players in any class, and this class will produce its share of Probowlers throughout each round too.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

IMO Young, Stroud, and at least one of Hooker, Richardson, or Levis (my bet is on Hooker or Levis) will become star QBs in the NFL.  This kind of feels like the 2017 QB class where the prospects were much stronger than people realized/acknowledged at the time, in part because they were looking ahead to a much more hyped 2018 class that ended up being worse than anticipated.

By any measure, this RB class is strong.  I think it's the best RB class in years, with four legit top 50 players: Gibbs/Robinson/Charbonnet/Spears and four more top 80: Abinakanda/McBride/Achane/Gray.  I also think the mid to late rounds are going to yield strong rotation backs: Roschon/Bigsby/Miller/Evans/Ibrahim.  And I think the most talented and explosive back in the class in Deuce Vaughn has star potential in the right situation, and he's a sixth rounder.  I love this RB class.

Tight end is also loaded.  We've come a long way from that 2020 nadir.

On the whole, the defensive players are way better than the offensive players this year.  The DBs clearly outclass the receivers, and the DLs absolutely smoke all but a couple of the OLs.  But there are stars on offense to be had at the skill positions.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I'd break it down this way compared to recent classes:

QB: better than average

RB: very strong class

TE: strongest in a while

WR: worst since 2018 and the second worst group of the class.  IMO JSN and Q are the only solid first round receivers, with Hyatt being a fringe first.  Too many of the good receivers are tiny this year

OL: very poor as a group, worse than usual, but there are five solid first round OLs

Edge: strongest class in a while, by far the strongest position group of this class.  There are going to be guys with ~3rd-4th round make up going in the sixth and seventh.  We had a string of guys get drafted in the early seventh round of our mock draft who have grades better than most of the players at other positions drafted multiple rounds ahead of them.

IDL: worse than average, and the top guy in the class has a huge character flag.  The depth is not very good here, a lot of the edges could be moved inside to compensate

LB: a little worse than average, but not a bad group.  Not a banner year like 2020.

CB: a great year.  Far better than average.

S: a terrible crop.  Rivals WR for the worst group of the class, but it will be bolstered by a lot of the CBs moving to S in the NFL.  But in the meantime, this is one of the slowest safety classes in recent memory.

I think the class is saved by being strong in money positions like edge and corner, and having multiple high end RB and QB prospects that can become face of the league type players.

But no matter what, you can find great players in any class, and this class will produce its share of Probowlers throughout each round too.

I agree mostly with this.  Only difference is I think the 2nd tier group of offensive tackles is average.  The first tier isn't as good or deep as usual.  the 2nd tier of centers -- I think they are all 2nd tier in this draft, while there isn't that one killer prospect its above average IMO compare to usual depth wise but like tackle its missing the front liners.  Guard to me is below average-underwhelming.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree mostly with this.  Only difference is I think the 2nd tier group of tackles is average.  The first tier is behind.  the 2nd tier of centers -- I think they are all 2nd tier, there isn't that one killer prospect is above average compare to usual but like tackle its missing the front liners.  Guard to me is below average.

I think it's one of the worst collegiate guard groups in years.  They are almost all either undersized or slow, and even with the tackles switching to guard filling out the top of the guard class to a significant degree, they bring similar length issues to the guard spot that prevent them from playing tackle.  I think the center class is pretty undersized too, and their inability to play guard in the NFL is going to keep the guard class from producing many starters.

I think the tackle class gets hollowed out by so many of the best ones likely moving to guard.  I think there are three legit good tackle prospects who would be strong in any year, two more who are flawed but super traitsy, and then I think the dropoff starts happening pretty dramatically after those five.  To the point where Wanya and Gouraige are the only post-first developmental bets I like.  Maybe Carter Warren if he can get healthy based on his traits, but that's a late round bet.  The reality that Steen, Bergeron, Mauch, and Skoronski are all probably moving to guard really takes the depth out of the class.

52 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

IMO Young, Stroud, and at least one of Hooker, Richardson, or Levis (my bet is on Hooker or Levis) will become star QBs in the NFL.  This kind of feels like the 2017 QB class where the prospects were much stronger than people realized/acknowledged at the time, in part because they were looking ahead to a much more hyped 2018 class that ended up being worse than anticipated.

Young will be great if he can stay upright. The size worries me. I think he'd do well in Carolina because Reich knows how to maximize his QBs. Houston I'd be concerned because that organization is a dumpster fire.

I like Stroud better than most. I think he'll at the very least be a solid starting QB who is occasionally a fringe top 10 guy. Think like Kirk Cousins-tier but more athletic/more upside.

Richardson is the super wild card. On the right team he can be a league MVP. But he's more likely to be a complete bust.

I don't like Levis or Hooker at all.

Kiper.  I've seen on and off Paris Johnson dropping in mocks, not sure what to make of it

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36135170/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-first-second-round-predictions-63-picks-fourth-version

13. New York Jets

Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

This is another pick I'm keeping the same from my previous mock draft, and we still don't know what the Jets will have to give up in their eventual trade for quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Surely we'll know before the draft begins, right? Jones could play on the right or left side in the NFL -- he was nearly flawless for the Bulldogs last season. When the Bucs added Tom Brady in March 2020, they picked plug-and-play tackle Tristan Wirfs at No. 13 overall the following month, filling a void. That move helped get them a Super Bowl title in Wirfs' rookie season. That's New York's best-case scenario here -- assuming the Rodgers deal gets done with Green Bay.

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

14. New England Patriots

Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

If the Patriots don't trade down to acquire more capital, I see corner or wideout as the position to target here. On offense, new coordinator Bill O'Brien has to get quarterback Mac Jones turned around after a disastrous 2022. The additions of JuJu Smith-Schuster and Mike Gesicki in free agency will help, but there's room for another really good outside wideout. Cornerback, though, is a position of strength in this class and Gonzalez has a chance to go in the top 10. The 6-1 defender picked off four passes for the Ducks last season.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

15. Green Bay Packers

Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

Take a look at the Green Bay depth chart and tell me this: Who is going to catch passes from quarterback Jordan Love in 2023? OK, outside of second-year wideouts Christian Watson and Romeo Dobbs? There's just not much there, and Josiah Deguara, who had 13 catches last season, is now the team's No. 1 tight end. Kincaid is the best pass-catching tight end in this class. He had 16 touchdown receptions over the past two seasons. He can stretch the seams in the middle of the field, and he can create easy connections for Love. This is the pick to help a young signal-caller.

was.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

16. Washington Commanders

Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

The Commanders say they're not in the market for Lamar Jackson and I don't see them making a trade up for one of the top quarterbacks in this draft. That means they need to find an instant starter with this selection. While I thought about offensive line -- Washington ranked 28th in yards per carry (4.0) last season -- signing right tackle Andrew Wylie filled the biggest hole. On the other side of the ball, finding a corner should be the priority. At 6-2 with long arms, Porter would make a lot of sense. He has all the tools to be a spectacular cover man.

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

This is around where we could see a run on receivers. Flowers is actually my top-ranked wideout. I love his explosion and ability after the catch. Pittsburgh's wideouts had just five touchdown receptions last season, which ranked last in the league. The 5-9 Flowers is a dynamo out of the slot, but he had plenty of grabs lined up outside too. He could be a nice fit with Diontae Johnson and George Pickens. Quarterback Kenny Pickett had a special connection with former Pitt teammate Jordan Addison, but I think Flowers would be the better pick for the Steelers.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

18. Detroit Lions

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

People keep telling me Robinson won't last into the 20s. He's that good. It's just really tough to find the perfect landing spot for him because teams finally understand the value of running backs in Round 1. So I'm going to follow Todd McShay's lead and slot in Robinson to Detroit. Why? Because he'd be better in 2023 than D'Andre Swift, who is a free agent next year, and because he'd bring a receiving threat to the offense that free agent signing David Montgomery just doesn't have. Robinson is a luxury pick, but the Lions really don't have that many needs. They can afford a luxury selection here.

tb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State

It really seems as if the Bucs are planning to wait out the tackle class with this pick. It's a big need. Tristan Wirfs has been a star at right tackle, but he could move over to the left side. In this scenario, why not keep Wirfs on the right and let Johnson play left tackle? Johnson had a stellar 2022 season for the Buckeyes and he can dominate in pass protection and move defenders in the run game. As Tampa Bay moves forward with Baker Mayfield or Kyle Trask at quarterback, it needs a steady O-line to protect them.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

20. Seattle Seahawks

Myles Murphy, DE, Clemson

Seattle's surprising run to the 2022 playoffs masked a defense that didn't look like a typical Pete Carroll unit. The Seahawks surrendered 24.0 points per game, which ranked 25th in the league, and allowed 4.9 yards per carry, which ranked 27th. I gave Carroll help in the middle of his defensive line with Jalen Carter at pick No. 5, so let's move outside and add an end who will help against both the run and pass. Murphy has some upside, though I never saw him dominate on tape. He had 14 sacks and 63 QB pressures over the past two seasons. Carroll likes well-rounded defensive ends, and that's Murphy.

2nd round Kiper

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36135170/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-first-second-round-predictions-63-picks-fourth-version

43. New York Jets

Joe Tippmann, C, Wisconsin

Tippman and John Michael Schmitz (Minnesota) are two starting-caliber centers likely to be drafted in Round 2. The Jets can't go wrong with either one here. Tippman, who started 23 games in college, has excellent range as a run blocker and can move his feet well in pass protection. He would have a great chance to start over veteran Wes Schweitzer in New York.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

44. Atlanta Falcons

Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

Ringo looked at times like a potential top-10 pick in 2021, when he was starting as a redshirt freshman for the national champs. He took a step backward last season, however. He was inconsistent in coverage and too often got beat on double moves. He has a great frame (6-2) and is incredibly fast (4.36 40-yard dash at the combine), but he can't rely on his physical tools to get him by. He needs to clean up his technique. In Atlanta, he could stay local -- this means I'm projecting the Falcons to get two Georgia guys in this mock -- and compete for the No. 2 job opposite A.J. Terrell.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

45. Green Bay Packers

Byron Young, OLB, Tennessee

This defense really struggled after Rashan Gary went down last season and the Packers need to rebuild their edge-rushing depth. Young is an ideal fit for a team that runs a 3-4. He can explode at the snap and bend around offensive tackles to get to quarterbacks. He tested extremely well at the combine. One thing to keep in mind: At 25, he's one of the oldest prospects in this class. That could push him down the boards of some teams.

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

46. New England Patriots

Matthew Bergeron, OT, Syracuse

There will be good value for offensive tackles in Round 2; it's a strong class at the top. Bergeron is a riser after the combine and I've heard his name as a wild-card first-round pick. He started 39 games in college, playing both left and right tackle. He could play either spot in New England, which brought in Riley Reiff in free agency and has Trent Brown, who's a free agent in 2024, on the left side.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

47. Washington Commanders

Blake Freeland, OT, BYU

I mentioned earlier Washington's need along the offensive line and this could be a selection to find a starter for 2024 and beyond. The 6-8 Freeland could be the swing tackle as a rookie. He started 40 games for the Cougars, playing left tackle, right tackle and right guard. His height gets him into trouble at times -- he can struggle with speedy rushers -- but he has quick feet.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

48. Detroit Lions

Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa

Campbell opened some eyes at the combine, where he tested really well in everything ... but the 40-yard dash (he ran a 4.65). That's OK. If you watch his tape, you can see his limitations. He's not going to be able to run stride for stride with tight ends. Still, at 6-5, 249 pounds, he can be an asset on early downs as a run-stopper. He's a great tackler. In Detroit, he could compete with Alex Anzalone in the middle of the defense.

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

49. Pittsburgh Steelers

Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State

I filled Pittsburgh's hole at wideout in Round 1, which means it should focus on the secondary here. The 6-foot-3 Brents could learn the ropes from veteran Patrick Peterson in Pittsburgh. Brents has stellar length and will wrap up in the run game. He tested extremely well at the combine.

tb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

50. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Adetomiwa Adebawore, DL, Northwestern

I had Adebawore in Round 1 of my previous mock draft, and I've heard varying opinions on where he could end up and which teams like him. There's a chance he goes much higher than this, even as high as the top 15. But if we're trying to find a spot for him with a 3-4 team -- I think his best position is as an end in a 3-4 -- this is the team. Adebawore put on a show at the combine, but he didn't have great numbers in college (9.5 sacks over the past two seasons) and might never be a great pass-rusher. He could be a physical run-stopper for the Bucs, though.

mia.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

51. Miami Dolphins

Steve Avila, G/C, TCU

The Dolphins have just four picks in this draft, two on Day 2 and two on Day 3. I could see them trading down to try to add more. I could see Avila being a good fit because of his versatility. He played every O-line position except for left tackle in college, seeing most of his time at center and left guard. Guard is likely where he would play for Miami. He's a strong run blocker but he had some inconsistent reps in pass protection.

phi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

52. Philadelphia Eagles (via mock trade with SEA)

Derick Hall, OLB, Auburn

I focused on offense with the first two Philadelphia picks, but I'm going to switch to defense for these next two. We know general manager Howie Roseman loves to replenish his defensive line through the draft, and the Eagles love their D-line rotation. Hall could be a situational pass-rusher as a rookie -- he had 16 sacks over the past two seasons -- who develops into a starting edge defender. Veterans Brandon Graham and Derek Barnett won't be around forever.

chi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

53. Chicago Bears (from BAL)

BJ Ojulari, DE, LSU

When you watch Ojulari's tape from 2021 and 2022, he often looks like a top-20 pick. Then there are some plays in which he gets blown off the ball and looks like a Day 3 selection. Can he put all of his talent together? He had 80 QB pressures over the past two seasons. The Bears badly need help getting after quarterbacks. If they don't take an edge rusher at No. 9 overall, they have to add one here.

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

54. Los Angeles Chargers

Brenton Strange, TE, Penn State

I gave the Chargers wideout Zay Flowers in Round 1, but they shouldn't stop acquiring playmakers around quarterback Justin Herbert. Strange could help the entire offense, because he took a step forward as a blocker in 2022. As a pass-catcher, he wasn't used as a seam-stretcher in college, but he has some upside. L.A. also could look to the defensive tackles in Round 2.

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

On the whole, the defensive players are way better than the offensive players this year.  The DBs clearly outclass the receivers, and the DLs absolutely smoke all but a couple of the OLs.  But there are stars on offense to be had at the skill positions.

The edge class is crazy.  Heck I'd consider, Keion White, one of my favorite players in this draft, if he dropped to 47. Uzmoah, too but prefer Keion.  I have different pass rushers who intrigue me potentially in every round. 

I track different players for each position where I compile stats, I got 39 players right now am tracking at edge, that is a record for me for any spot I've tracked over the years.

By any measure, this RB class is strong.  I think it's the best RB class in years, with four legit top 50 players: Gibbs/Robinson/Charbonnet/Spears and four more top 80: Abinakanda/McBride/Achane/Gray.  I also think the mid to late rounds are going to yield strong rotation backs: Roschon/Bigsby/Miller/Evans/Ibrahim.  And I think the most talented and explosive back in the class in Deuce Vaughn has star potential in the right situation, and he's a sixth rounder.  I love this RB class.

Am still watching RBs, have watched a lot.  I don't have the same order of names in your 2nd-3rd tier but generally agree with the point.

Tight end is also loaded.  We've come a long way from that 2020 nadir.

Best TE class I tracked over the years.  I feel the same way about TEs that I do about RBs in that i think in that 5th round range give or take there will be a 3rd tier type TE left and IMO this third tier is much better than the average 3rd tier class, as are the first and 2nd tier as to being strong.  It's both top heavy and a deep class.  I don't though like the TEs post 3rd tier wheras in contrast I do like some of the 4th tier RBs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Lions traded Jeff Okudah to the Falcons

Probably rules out the Falcons taking a CB with their 1st rounder. They already have AJ Terrell too whos a stud.

Which also means that Detroit takes a CB at either 6 or 18

• Like 1

I think it's one of the worst collegiate guard groups in years.  They are almost all either undersized or slow, and even with the tackles switching to guard filling out the top of the guard class to a significant degree, they bring similar length issues to the guard spot that prevent them from playing tackle.  I think the center class is pretty undersized too, and their inability to play guard in the NFL is going to keep the guard class from producing many starters.

I think the tackle class gets hollowed out by so many of the best ones likely moving to guard.  I think there are three legit good tackle prospects who would be strong in any year, two more who are flawed but super traitsy, and then I think the dropoff starts happening pretty dramatically after those five.  To the point where Wanya and Gouraige are the only post-first developmental bets I like.  Maybe Carter Warren if he can get healthy based on his traits, but that's a late round bet.  The reality that Steen, Bergeron, Mauch, and Skoronski are all probably moving to guard really takes the depth out of the class.

As for centers who can play guard -- Tippman and JMS IMO.  Avila plays both.

As for tackle, I watched Warren long ago and forgot my impression, I know I wasn't blown away because I'd recall my thoughts on him if so.  He does have the length for the spot. I haven't watched Gouaige.  I did watch Wanya -- intriguing but inconsistent. 

Bergeron IMO can play guard but has the length to play tackle.  He's the last of the Mohicans IMO as for high enough floor tackles in the draft where it doesn't feel like a roll of the dice.  I suspect he's going early 2nd round.  So I think we are screwed if we wait for tackle at 47.

As far as Avila.  Don't love him i am trying to talk myself into liking him.  good athleticism for his size, high intangibles.  i like him better at center than guard.  Don't love his balance-feet.  But I like the general idea of having an athletic big dude on the inside.   I think Mauch would be fun on the left inside -- 2nd level blocks, mean streak. 

I like Zavala.  I like but don't love Torrence but i am assuming he goes in the first and I don't want him that high -- but like Avila i like the idea of having a big dude in the interior considering this division.  I also like the idea of Steen on the inside.

Some of the stats I compiled below including arm length for tackles. I haven't moved the tackles who are likely going to be guards to my guard spread sheet yet.

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 12.39.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 12.40.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 12.43.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 12.45.54 PM.png

• Like 2

Daniel Scott, FS, Calirfornia. Has the size and skills to play safety nickel -- in that Brian Branch mode.  But comes off to me more of a traditional FS.  Used in coverage more than in the box or playing slot.  Played some single high in the games I watched and usually was the deeper safety when they played cover 2.  He looked good when I saw him one on one on coverage, good mirroring skills and recovery speed.

High character, smart, leader -- team captain.  Best RAS among the safeties I charted.  87 tackles.  3 picks.  7 picks in his career, judging by PFF scores he's played well during his last three seasons

Downside he's 24 and turning 25.  His miss tackle rate is higher than I'd like. He's sort of at times a sloppy tackler who throws his body into his tackles versus a technician. 

He's IMO consistent but not a head turning type player.  IMO really clean prospect in coverage.   He's not just fast but he covers a lot of territory.   Special teams deamon who was named special teams captain.

late 6th-7h round range.  Among the safeties I've watched in that range IMO Scott and Hellams IMO would be good picks.  I like Scott better than Hellams but they have different assets -- Scott is a better coverage guy. and Hellams IMO is better versus the run. 

In the late rounds though I like rolling the dice on players who are both big time athletes and have high intangibles and can contribute on special teams.

Michael Mayer who I noticed oddly gets some hate on the thread, looked good in ha game i watched versus Califronia including out maneuvering Scott for a TD.

Evan Hull, Northwestern, RB, 5 '10, 209.  Maybe the best pass catching RB in this class or if not close.  As a late rounder RB, he's on the table for me.  Ditto Keaton Mitchell as a RB in that late round range who I've touted on and off for months.  I'd love either as late rounders if they don't take a Rb earlier.  Don't get me wrong there are other RBs I like better and I've talekd about plenty of them.   But if they wait until the later rounds, Hull IMO would be a good gamble.

IMO Hull is a good type of player to replace that McKissic role.   He's a really good pass catcher.   I am tracking 27 RBs for this draft and within that group, Hull has the most catches: 54 and the most receiving yards 537.  And watching him he's really smooth-effortless as a pass catcher and I think could be a good 3rd down type back in the NFL.

As a pass catcher, he is really good with delayed routes, wheel routes, screens, shallow crosses -- finding holes in the zone.  He's a natural as to giving the QB an outlet in the passing game. When the QB was scrambiling, Hull would readjust his route to match where the QB was going.

He has a good feel for how to get open and get in the Qb's line of sight when the Qb needs a quick outlet.  He also is good at running after the catch, he rarely breaks stride when he catches the ball and hits his gears in open field quickly.  He's actually really dangerous as for making big plays on that front as a pass catcher, not as much so as a RB.

He has almost sick level hands for a RB, sort of the Kincaid of the RBs on that front, he's not quite his level but on a RB scale he's distinctly above average as to his hands, he's a hands catcher (not body catcher) and almost never drops the ball.

They used him in the wildcat a bunch of times for whatever reason.  I didn't see a ton of pass blocking because he was mostly running routes on obvious passing downs but when I did see him on that front, he was OK, willing blocker but can be overpowered.  He was decent running down the field and blocking to help the QB at times when he was running.

As a pure runner, I think he's best running outside zone.   More of a one cut and straight line runner in the mode of Chris Brown and Israel Abanikanda but he doesn't hit the hole as fast as they do and is not nearly as dynamic.  I think he's just OK as a RB, as to a pure runner.  He's not hot at breaking tackles but he doesn't really get pushed back much either so the physical type inside runs seem to end at stalemates when the defense penetrates. 

He does have breakaway type speed at 4.47 but you don't really see that in play as a RB.  Not enough wiggle-moves -- sort of a meh spin move.  He doesn't make sharp cuts with stop and go, etc.  But for some reason he becomes elusive in open field when he catches the ball so he's explosive on that front.

As I've said about other players in that late round range -- everything being equal I like big time athletes with big time intangibles when I am rolling the dice on late rounders -- Hull fits that.

Crimson’s Evan Hull is a man for all seasons

Excels in football, track and wrestling

https://www.hometownsource.com/press_and_news/sports/crimson-s-evan-hull-is-a-man-for-all-seasons/article_105fea74-f330-11e8-af15-73e94edb44d4.html

While football is Hull’s passion and sport of choice in college, he is also an excellent sprinter in track and a solid wrestler. He qualified for the state track meet twice, taking sixth as a sophomore and second as a junior last year in the 100-meter dash. He also came very close to qualifying for state in wrestling in the past two seasons. This winter, he will be seeking to become one of those rare high school athletes who compete in state in three different sports.

For Hull, playing three sports instead of specializing in one comes naturally.

“I had never really considered ‘specializing’ in one sport,” Hull said. “It’s always kind of been the expectation to go out for multiple sports in the Maple Grove community as well as in my family. I joined track and wrestling in eighth grade and at that time, there really weren’t organized opportunities that I knew of to keep training for or playing football. So, by doing those sports, that was my training for football.”

Football is Hull’s passion but he said that his participation in track and wrestling contributes to his success on the gridiron.

“My love for football outweighs that of track or wrestling, but I continue to do those sports because I know I take different skills from each to add to my game as a football player,” Hull said. “That’s why I joined them; to make me a better football player. Whether it’s having better acceleration or running form from track or having better balance and strength from wrestling. I’ve taken a lot of intangibles from both sports as well. Track has helped me with visualizing success and setting goals. Wrestling has kept me mentally tough and that aggressiveness that I need for wrestling is something that translates for football as well, even track a little.”

..Maple Grove football coach Matt Lombardi said Hull is the perfect example of how athletes can benefit from playing other sports rather than specializing.

“The best athletes I have ever seen and some of the best young men I have coached were all multiple sport athletes,” Lombardi said. “

...From his experience, Lombardi feels that athletes benefit physically and psychologically from playing multiple sports.

“Specialization does increase overuse and injury, so kids wear down quickly because they don’t supplement the training necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle when specializing in a sport,” Lombardi said.

...“Evan is a special athlete because of his dedication, work ethic and drive as an athlete and student,” Lombardi said. “He truly does all of the little things correctly and is willing to sacrifice for any of his teammates.”

...Like Lombardi, Seubert feels Hull is special because of his make-up.    

“Evan is an impressive young man,” Seubert said. “Athletically he’s gifted - I don’t think there is anything he can’t do. However, his most impressive trait is his work ethic. He’s the hardest working kid you’ll ever meet. He’s humble and never satisfied. He embodies what you want in a student athlete with the effort he puts forth in everything he does. He excels in three sports, outworks everybody, is a leader in three sports (captain in all three) and also holds himself to the same standard in the classroom.  He’s been very successful - and in my opinion he’s deserved it all. It’s awesome to see his hard work and commitment pay off - but at the end of the day the success won’t change the person he is - it only drives him further.”

• Like 2