Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

If they sign a Trubisky, Bridgewater, or Mariota and whiff on a draft pick at quarterback, and then have another mediocre to terrible season, it would seriously be time to start considering firing Rivera and company.  That would be 3 seasons in a row where they have failed to address the most important position in the sport.  Signing Fitzpatrick to be "the guy" last year should have been a massive red flag to everyone.  I hope they don't go that route again this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

hy would we reach for a QB this year when we could have the ammo to get a guy next year who isn't a reach and has better upside.

Everyone keeps saying this but we have no clue who is going to end up in next years draft. Guys blow up (Pickett), Guys uderperform their hype (Howell), Guys go back to school, guys get hurt....the list of reasons the board changes is endless. We dont know who will be available next year. 

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I disagree. He is a project. And a raw one at that. I dont know that this staff has time for a project in all honesty. 

Honestly it doesnt matter. Hes has the best chance to be elite. Smallest chance we have had in a draft in a really long time though.

Its why so many were pressing for QB last year. 

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

If they sign a Trubisky, Bridgewater, or Mariota and whiff on a draft pick at quarterback, and then have another mediocre to terrible season, it would seriously be time to start considering firing Rivera and company.  That would be 3 seasons in a row where they have failed to address the most important position in the sport.  Signing Fitzpatrick to be "the guy" last year should have been a massive red flag to everyone.  I hope they don't go that route again this year.

And outside of a check swing at Stafford they have stared at balls come across the plate 

I THINK we can take Russell off the list of QBs we want to trade for:

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Low Cost FA and drafted rookie only makes sense.  Wilson, Rodgers, Carr, Watson, etc.  For various reasons on each one they're staying put and not being traded.  A lot of talk about Trubisky from our local beat reporters on twitter though.  Keim most especially. 

Jimmy G will not cost as much draft wise with that injury. I would not want him because of injuries and the extension he will want.

I think if he gets cleared we will go after Watson. Is it possible we could sign Trubisky and acquire Watson later on when and if he is cleared?

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Everyone keeps saying this but we have no clue who is going to end up in next years draft. Guys blow up (Pickett), Guys uderperform their hype (Howell), Guys go back to school, guys get hurt....the list of reasons the board changes is endless. We dont know who will be available next year. 

Actually its becoming an increasingly easier argument to gauge the top guys years out with how much more important athletic traits are now than opposed to even just 5-10 years ago. Look at the top QBs in the league right now. All mobile traits based players. If you dont have said traits youre not going to be considered an elite QB prospect. With that being said you can watch kids from really 8th-9th grade and see whos going to a top prospect compared to their peers. People were calling Fields and TL as top 2 picks in the draft from their junior year of high school. Same thing with Caleb Williams 2 years ago and hes trending to be the number 1 pick in 2024. Its the reason that this draft class has long been considered a terrible draft class. Its because this draft class had the worst QB recruiting record in history. Very few upper echelon prospects and none of which were highly trait based guys. 

Sure some lower ranked guys will grow into their bodies and gain 3 inches ages 17-20 and 30 lbs of muscle. Some guys like DJ Uiagelelei dont live up to their traits and struggle but the days of the below average mobility pocket passer rising out of the ranks to being good are over and done with.

I can give you with good probability of the at least 66% of the 1st round prospects in each year for the next 5 years. "So Zim if youre so smart why arent you better than the guys in the NFL not like you than" Well as we know the NFL is full of the most self absorbed and slowly adjusting sports league in existence. It took nearly 15 years of spread concepts in college to fully implement here in the pros. NFL coaches are notorious for moving at glacial speeds in changing their trains of thought.

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Dj Uiagelelei, Bryce Young, and Cj Stroud will be in next years draft. All should be in top 10 franchise qb. Uiageleilei will be make a huge jump next year. Those are the type of Qb you want.

DJ will need to improve. A couple of other names to watch is Hudson Card and Evan Prater if he explodes to a great "rookie" year which is very possible. 

2024 will be even better: Caleb Williams Quinn Ewers Vandagriff JJ McCarthy

2025 should be the worst of the next 3 years: Not a ton of overly athletic guys but Weigman is looking likely. Once you get this far out its hard to tell because you not sure whos sticking behind for an extra year

2026: Arch Manning Malachi Nelson are the two best names on this list in the same draft. Dante Moore is also a stud. 

I have watched all of these kids. 

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Did you have Pickett throwing 42 TD's this year and smashing all of Marino's records before the season started?

You have roughly 1 guy pop up every other draft or so. I was well aware of Pickett before this season. Was not considered because he had 3 season with mehh at best with very little progression from one season to the next. Its also why hes the last on my last of the QBs this year. A 5th year senior in his 4th year starting dominating a historically bad P5 division in a covid restricted season when the the age of the average starting player is getting younger with more and more juniors leaving for the draft ever year.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I would love to know what he means by win now. Win what? Thats the question. 

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I would love to know what he means by win now. Win what? Thats the question. 

Plenty of national reporters like this roster and its potential if you have a really good Qb manning it.

I saw you say earlier that if the Steeelers are all in on Willis so should we.  Suggesting they are a smart team.  What if its true that the Steelers are into Jimmy G?  I've seen that multiple times now.  Do you embrace it because the Steelers apparently are into it, too?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Plenty of national reporters like this roster and its potential if you have a really good Qb manning it.

I saw you say earlier that if the Steeelers are all in on Willis so should we.  Suggesting they are a smart team.  What if its true that the Steelers are into Jimmy G?  I've seen that multiple times now.  Do you embrace it because the Steelers apparently are into it, too?

People were talking a crazy hypothetical of multiple ones in a move up for Willis. Thats a massive ringing bell if some one wants to offer. Completely different than intrigue with out any mention of cost. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Shocking teams with Good QBs dont want to give them up willingly. 

If Ron and Co were banking on the teams wanting to give them up instead of hoping one of the QBs themselves forcefully pushing out they were crazy. And to think that this franchise would be the landing spot for said QB who pushed out is even more nuts. 

33 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Did you have Pickett throwing 42 TD's this year and smashing all of Marino's records before the season started?

Pickett smashed all of Marino's records *before* the season started?  Now that's a guy who comes prepared!

Seriously, though, how often do college QBs who have strong arms and can run but have accuracy and reading-the-defense problems get coached up in the NFL?

31 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Shocking teams with Good QBs dont want to give them up willingly. 

If Ron and Co were banking on the teams wanting to give them up instead of hoping one of the QBs themselves forcefully pushing out they were crazy. And to think that this franchise would be the landing spot for said QB who pushed out is even more nuts. 

I thought you said in a different post you didn't believe Ron is sincere as for wanting a big time Qb unless I misunderstood?

Edited by Skinsinparadise

38 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Jimmy G and Pickett look similar. I think long term they will be about the same.

Mel Kiper on Get Up this morning compares Pickett talent to a guy between Andy Dalton and Derek Carr.  Thought that was an interesting comparison. 

Edited by HigSkin

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought you said in a different post you didn't believe Ron is sincere as for wanting a big time Qb unless I misunderstood?

I think he does but doesn’t understand what needs to be done to do it. I think he was completely misinformed just at how “available” the elite guys will be. So that leans to needing to go to the draft but he seems unwilling to go that direction