Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The most important position in the game. And the lack of investment in that position.

clskinsfan

33 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

They had Romo as their starter 2006 to 2015. The next year they drafted Prescott. So yeah. They got lucky. But they DID TAKE a chance in the draft. We dont do it. 

Wait, what? We’ve drafted two QBs in the first round, and another in the 4th the same year as one of the firsts.  We’ve taken chances, just didn’t work out. 

14 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

They aren't understanding....we have drafted 4 quarterbacks (does not matter we gave up 3 first round picks for RGIII hes still just ONE QB) in the past decade and 2 of them were in 2012.....so essentially the past 9 years we drafted 2 qbs being sudfeld and Haskins.....and we drafted Haskins basically because he played at bullis with Snyders kid whom Dan prob watched ROFLSTOMP kids in high school and was like that's my guy.

How often do you think teams draft QBs?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

We haven’t drafted one since 1937. Your process can take many decades. In fact it pretty much has. What qb has lasted more than 2 to 3 years as starter? I don’t see how you are advocating for anything different than status quo with the exception of maybe this year. 

Dallas. Philly and NY seem to hit though. We have got to start trying at least. 3 picks in a decade aint gonna work. 

Simply drafting more QBs likely isn't the answer either. I get the idea that the odds of hitting a good one are better with more chances. But it's also like the lottery, you can buy one Powerball ticket or you can buy 100. But you're odds of winning the Powerball have barely changed. The hit rate on non-first round QBs is pretty abysmal regardless if you take 1 or 4 or 7. So you're not really moving the needle much by bigger volume. There's also the reality that you should actually like the guy you take, not just take a player because they have QB listed next to their position. And to some extent, that's likely how the draft board fell.

The last decade might be a bit unusual because it's been bookended by two first rounders (Griffin and Haskins, both of which rank near the top of QB draft capital investments that this franchise has ever made), but in the middle had one of the best QBs this team ever produced in Cousins. So there was less of a need to spend high picks to fill the spot. Also some (poor) attempts at stopgaps like Alex Smith. The team will need to take a chance on someone soon, but it's also detrimental to just force a move to say you made a move. And 2022 might not be the year either. We'll see...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Wait, what? We’ve drafted two QBs in the first round, and another in the 4th the same year as one of the firsts.  We’ve taken chances, just didn’t work out. 

Wait. what? So Prescott turned out to be a baller because their scouts found him. What if he didnt? Would Dallas sleep for a decade to draft a QB? No ****ing chance. 

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

but in the middle had one of the best QBs this team ever produced in Cousins

Not reading anymore of your post brother. Cousins IS the most middle of the pack QB in history. And not even in DC. The same mediocrity is happening in MN. 

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Dallas. Philly and NY seem to hit though. We have got to start trying at least. 3 picks in a decade aint gonna work. 

The biggest mistake we made as a franchise was drafting Carlos Rogers and Jason Campbell instead of Aaron Rodgers. Gibbs would have retired with at least 2 more rings. I’m still constantly bitter about that. We telegraphed our move by trading with Denver a day before the draft. Dumbest move ever. Our pick was leaked and no one jumped us because it was such an idiotic valuation of Jason Campbell. We just sat there as Rodgers continued to fall. It was straight moronic.

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 2

Quite often....look at the Eagles they had Wentz and still Drafted Hurts....Bills Drafted John Allen and this past year traded up to draft Fromm in the 5th....Patriots just look how many times they've tried....Bengals drafted Lindley then Drafted Burrow..The Colts traded for Wentz and then also drafted a qb....it happens especially with teams searching for a QB or may be searching for one in the future.....So a team without a QB should be drafting one....dont you think its insane that before Haskins our last qb draft pick was sudfeld and then before that it was Cousins and RGIII...

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Wait. what? So Prescott turned out to be a baller because their scouts found him. What if he didnt? Would Dallas sleep for a decade to draft a QB? No ****ing chance. 

We drafted a guy in 12, gave him a couple years, he didn’t get it but fortunately Kirk was solid, gave him three years, he didn’t get it, traded for Alex for one year, drafted a guy in the first, gave him two years, didn’t work out, didn’t have an opportunity to draft a QB this past year. We didn’t wait a decade to draft someone so I have no idea where you’re getting that idea from.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

We haven’t drafted one since 1937. Your process can take many decades. In fact it pretty much has. What qb has lasted more than 2 to 3 years as starter? I don’t see how you are advocating for anything different than status quo with the exception of maybe this year. 

Maybe, you miss the part where I said at any point you don’t see…Thus, I am fine moving on only after the first year.  No point wasting another 1-2 years trying because it’s a #1 rd pick.  This logic is why teams keeps a mistake around for a few years.

Edited by Myzhi-

Just now, Myzhi- said:

Maybe, you must the part where I said at any point you don’t see…Thus, I am fine getting rid after the first year if it was a mistake.  No point wasting another 1-2 years trying because it’s a. #1 rd pick.

I’m good with this but ownership isn’t going to support it. The front office will be too embarrassed to cut bait that fast and the coaching staff doesn’t want to tie their careers to a revolving door of rookie quarterbacks. 

5 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Quite often....look at the Eagles they had Wentz and still Drafted Hurts....Bills Drafted John Allen and this past year traded up to draft Fromm in the 5th....Patriots just look how many times they've tried....Bengals drafted Lindley then Drafted Burrow..The Colts traded for Wentz and then also drafted a qb....it happens especially with teams searching for a QB or may be searching for one in the future.....So a team without a QB should be drafting one....dont you think its insane that before Haskins our last qb draft pick was sudfeld and then before that it was Cousins and RGIII...

This ****ing post is gold. Thanks brother.

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Philly has drafted 4 QBs in the last ten years (Hurts, Wentz, Barkley and Foles), Colts have drafted TWO (one in the 4th and one in the 6th), Bengals 4, Bills 5. We draft QBs as often as any other team. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

This ****ing post is gold. Thanks brother.

Except it’s not.

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

We drafted a guy in 12, gave him a couple years, he didn’t get it but fortunately Kirk was solid, gave him three years, he didn’t get it, traded for Alex for one year, drafted a guy in the first, gave him two years, didn’t work out, didn’t have an opportunity to draft a QB this past year. We didn’t wait a decade to draft someone so I have no idea where you’re getting that idea from.

Really? So during Kirk's legendary mediocrity we should have just ignored the most important position on the field? Meanwhile real contenders with franchise QB's like GB and NE draft Qb's every year? 

Philly has drafted 4 QBs in the last ten years (Hurts, Wentz, Barkley and Foles), Colts have drafted TWO (one in the 4th and one in the 6th), Bengals 4, Bills 5. We draft QBs as often as any other team. 

Except it’s not.

Except it is. You cant neglect the most important position on the field because you dont want to hurt your current QB's feelings. NE drafted QB's while Brady was shredding the league. SF drafted Young while Montana was ripping teams apart. Favre was a god in GB and guess what they drafted Rodgers. What is the common link that makes them decades long contenders? Franchise ****ing QB's. Thats what. 

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Really? So during Kirk's legendary mediocrity we should have just ignored the most important position on the field? Meanwhile real contenders with franchise QB's like GB and NE draft Qb's every year? 

Sigh. GB has drafted 3 QBs in 14 years. I’ll concede NE and their 8 in 15 years simply because they usually have around 10-12 picks each draft. As for Kirk, we were hamstrung with the lack of picks from the RG3 trade so the organization used what they had on positions of more immediate need. They didn’t ignore it, they just felt confident their QB of the future was on the roster either in RG3 or then Cousins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Except it is. You cant neglect the most important position on the field because you dont want to hurt your current QB's feelings. NE drafted QB's while Brady was shredding the league. SF drafted Young while Montana was ripping teams apart. Favre was a god in GB and guess what they drafted Rodgers. What is the common link that makes them decades long contenders? Franchise ****ing QB's. Thats what. 

Lol ok. 

Its ok guys don't worry we will find our franchise qb, hes prob back in school doing math class somewhere waiting for a call...Or maybe hes playing Madden somewhere to learn our rosters names hoping for a phone call...better yet we should trade for Berger he seems likes at that ripe age where dan will come calling....maybe they will give us Tomlin and Ben Berger in a package deal and Snyder can feel like he swindled the steelers for a few months before the season starts.

Edited by CjSuAvE22

22 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Except it’s not.

The Eagles also drafted Clayton Thorson in the fifth round a couple years ago. He was perhaps the worst quarterback I've ever had the pleasure of watching in the preseason. He was cut his rookie year and hung around the Cowboys practice squad for awhile. I think he might have been with the Giants in camp this year. I doubt he's still in the league.

19 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Young was drafted by the Bucs. The 49ers traded for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:
28 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The Eagles also drafted Clayton Thorson in the fifth round a couple years ago. He was perhaps the worst quarterback I've ever had the pleasure of watching in the preseason. He was cut his rookie year and hung around the Cowboys practice squad for awhile. I think he might have been with the Giants in camp this year. I doubt he's still in the league.

You are correct. Thank you. If we want to go further, we can add a 6th from back in 2008 or 09 in the form of one Mike Kafka. So 6 in 13 years.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Oh we should draft a great QB. Why didn't anyone else think of that?

Yes, 4 1rsts and a 2nd+ is more than we have on the d line.

First off, Smith was traded for Fuller and a third, not a second. Secondly, considering we spent an additional 2nd to move up for sweat, you can say we spent 4 firsts and a second on the DL.

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You are correct. Thank you. If we want to go further, we can add a 6th from back in 2008 or 09 in the form of one Mike Kafka. So 6 in 13 years.

First off, Smith was traded for Fuller and a third, not a second. Secondly, considering we spent an additional 2nd to move up for sweat, you can say we spent 4 firsts and a second on the DL.

You get 2 2nds for sweat or 1 1rst. Not both.

RG3 included a second.

I get the idea, but this organization, or should I say Danny Boy, is too impatient to bother letting anyone groom a prospective QB.

This league is all about win now, but with a meddling, pressuring owner its hard to do anything that resembles an NFL franchise.

Of course one also needs a competent coaching assembly and staff to properly groom said prospect. 

This organization only seems to hire old retreads who do nothing but give their siblings team positions, and even when they do 'hit' on an assistant prospect, they lift their chins as to say 'you are nothing, we are everything' to them and they go elsewhere and have success. { see SF, LA }

Until they manage to get a HC who has the nutsack to tell the owner NO, things will never change.