Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Opinion - Tennis authorities violated law and human decency by forcing Osaka out of the French Open

88Comrade2000

Agree that it is completely ****ed up for the tennis governing bodies to not grant an accommodation in this case.  First, as noted in the article, it's just a ****ty thing to do.  Second, it is totally self defeating.  The entire point of media availability is to drive engagement with the fans; does anyone want to watch tennis more because it is forcing a 23 year old to do something that causes her anguish?  It's gross.  I don't know how these kinds of issues are viewed in other countries, but it is a seriously bad look for the head of the US Open to take this stance.  These ****ing people make millions of dollars off the backs and talent of the players, and Naomi Osaka is a star, they should bend over backwards to help her play her best.  

The law mentions employer. Are they an employer? Or is this contract based work? I thought there was a difference?

I get accommodating mental health issues

i also get a league/organization mandating press access 

I also get that it’s not a persons ‘right’ to be a professional athlete in any private organization. 

also seems like if you’re a decent person this probably isn’t a ‘good’ impact on her mental health situation and you’d think a decent person would weigh that part heavily in their decision making (?)

Finding it hard to take a side (outside of this probably being the worst way to handle it, without more details) My understanding is tennis is general is struggling with popularity and having a new, rising star so it sorta seems self defeating if the end goal is to grow the sport…

Edited by tshile

I won't take a side on the legality as I'm hardly qualified. But as a human being who has struggled with depression and anxiety for most of my life I think the people in those governing bodies can all die in a fire as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

People still watch tennis?

The heads of the governing bodies are assholes who are shooting themselves in the foot by alienating fans when they aren't accommodating regarding the mental health of one of the stars that brings in the fans.