Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig, not as plugged in as Keim but I'd put him as the next most plugged in.  He did a mock for this team. 

Standig saying a Day 3 QB.  Strong may slip but it seems like his results at Senior Bowl, Pro Day were all over the place and not good.  It leaves us with ? at the position.  Who do you get after Strong that has enough arm and would be in the somewhat same kind of mold as Wentz?  

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

For those that like London, then many should be happy that RR is attending, or the thinking is he will attend his Pro Day.  Still think we are ripe for a trade down.  We are in the perfect position for it but can't address the needs that RR is talking about unless we trade down (i.e., OL, WR, RB etc.). 

I agree we are ripe for a trade down.  But if London is there at 11 (again assuming he has a decent 40 time) he's one of my favorite players within our range, he actually might be my favorite, i go back and forth some.  Crazy thing about London is he's still just 20 years old, will turn 21 soon. 

For those fixated on the breakout age, me not so much but sometimes I do

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked Marquise before that draft, I took some heat for it at the time because of his size. Calvin Austin IMO has some of that brand and likely could be had in the 2nd.

I think Austin's game translates well to the NFL.  Love the guy!  Hope he's the target actually at WR but I think there will be too much noise in RRs ear for Olave or Wilson.  If Wilson is available, I take him in a heartbeat.  

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Standig saying a Day 3 QB.  Strong may slip but it seems like his results at Senior Bowl, Pro Day were all over the place and not good.  It leaves us with ? at the position.  Who do you get after Strong that has enough arm and would be in the somewhat same kind of mold as Wentz?  

lol, i know who you want me to say.   😀

I got too many major prospects to watch to have time to dive into 6th-7th round QBs right now.  Maybe i'll have time later.   Tough for me to just like a guy purely based on what others say about him and highlights alone.  I have to watch some games.  Not sure I'll find the time for the late round QBs.   I did watch plenty of Zappe -- I wouldn't hate him in the mid rounds. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.05.49 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree we are ripe for a trade down.  But if London is there at 11 (again assuming he has a decent 40 time) he's one of my favorite players within our range, he actually might be my favorite, i go back and forth some.  Crazy thing about London is he's still just 20 years old, will turn 21 soon. 

I share the same opinion on London. Friday will be a very big day for him.

I go back and forth. He's boom or bust for me. Could see him being a stud but just as easily see him struggling to separate at the pro level with better corners. I'll defer to Ron, if he loves him I can get onboard.

I'd still rather trade down but London is one of the few players that are maybe worth staying at 11 for. Olave definitely isnt. Count me out on London if he posts poor agility scores. 4.6 absolute max, but agility drills will be key.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me not so much either about age. Younger the better, to me.  London's recent injury with fractured foot and groin I hope are not indications of things to come.  He's a big boy that can pluck the ball out of the air all the time. Speed is ok.  A WR in a TE body somewhat.  We truly need to trade down and draft wisely if we do so.  Again, I'm all over and on the Austin Train. :)  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got too many major prospects to watch to have time to dive into 6th-7th round QBs right now.  Maybe i'll have time later.   Tough for me to just like a guy purely based on what others say about him and highlights alone.  I have to watch some games.  Not sure I'll find the time for the late round QBs.   I did watch plenty of Zappe -- I wouldn't hate him in the mid rounds. 

He makes the most sense, SIP.  Really what all the hate when you look at his stats which are very good, and his arm was strongest at the Combine.  His tape looks good but then there are others that are ND fans that can't stand they guy and then I read tweets where people are in love with the guy.  I think Zampese has some good clay to work with here.  Don't you? :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm starting to warm up on Coan. He's a low enough pick that it shouldn't rock the boat with Wentz's fragile ego... I could get behind him as a 6th/7th round pick.

10 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I'm starting to warm up on Coan. He's a low enough pick that it shouldn't rock the boat with Wentz's fragile ego... I could get behind him as a 6th/7th round pick.

Have you watched his tape, FAR?  Coan looks good with ball placement, arm strength and standing in the pocket.  I don't know if you can teach a rookie RPO but if anyone can, Zampese and Turner can.  He can take a hit and step up in the pocket nicely to ensure he has enough time to hit his target and does so well.  

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Have you watched his tape, FAR?  Coan looks good with ball placement, arm strength and standing in the pocket.  I don't know if you can teach a rookie RPO but if anyone can, Zampese and Turner can.  He can take a hit and step up in the pocket nicely to ensure he has enough time to hit his target and does so well.  

I've watched a little. He definitely has poise. My only concern is if Turner views him as athletic enough. But that can be offset if he's slippery enough in the pocket

Zamir White, might be my favorite mid round RB who I've watched. This RB class feels to me a lot like the WR class from 2 drafts ago where at least for me in that mid range of the draft it felt like there were like 10 guys where I struggled to seperate them because they all struck me in such similar range ability wise.  Eventually I did seperate them by watching all of them back to back.  I might have to do that here again.:ols:

Similar to Abram Smith he had two 2 ACL injuries (left and right knee) already so I am guessing he might drop to the later rounds.  

Really good contact balance. Spin move.  Nice jump cut. Power runner but with some wiggle.  Great combine including showcasing 4.4 speed.  Good patience, gets skinny in the hole.   Not much as for pass catching, they used James Cook for that. Saw him line up as a Wr but they didn't really throw to him, in one game he had a bad drop so that might be a concern.

Decent pass blocker but had some mishaps on that front in the games I watched, whiffs sometimes.  Main reason why I dig him is he runs in a way that I like in that he's not a straight target, he runs with almost constant zag so it makes him a difficult guy to tackle. 

He hits me like a poor man's Kenneth Walker in that he's eclectic IMO and neither one is a proven pass catcher.  Both IMO can run power, zone.  Inside, outside. Can lower his shoulder and bulldoze guys.  Can fall forward for a needed yard or two.  But if they find some daylight they can take it to the house.  White IMO isn't as violent a runner as Walker or as explosive.  But that's why I can him a poor man's version. 

i am impressed though, he might end up on my list of guys if we do that again right before the draft --  players that we are higher on than the standard mock drafter.  I've wondered for awhile why James Cook considering his hype wasn't the bell cow RB in Georgia.  I still got to watch Cook.  But I get why they featured White.

• Like 2

For those who think we can easily trade down, I don’t think we will find a team to do that with. Based on that tweet that the Saints may be interested in a qb although I don’t necessarily agree (read somewhere that they feel they are only a player or two away from competing with Bucs), they along with Pittsburgh are the only teams I could see as trade partners to trade down. Usually only a team needing a qb will make a trade up in the first round. Carolina needs a qb but they have no draft equity and will probably take one at 6. If the Saints want a qb I think they wait at #16 to take Corral or Pickett. 

Bottom line I think we have to draft someone at 11. if London has a decent pro day then I think it boils down to him or Hamilton whichever isn’t gone. I’m good with either as they both would fill holes. 

1 minute ago, skinsfan93 said:

For those who think we can easily trade down, I don’t think we will find a team to do that with. Based on that tweet that the Saints may be interested in a qb although I don’t necessarily agree (read somewhere that they feel they are only a player or two away from competing with Bucs), they along with Pittsburgh are the only teams I could see as trade partners to trade down. Usually only a team needing a qb will make a trade up in the first round. Carolina needs a qb but they have no draft equity and will probably take one at 6. If the Saints want a qb I think they wait at #16 to take Corral or Pickett. 

Bottom line I think we have to draft someone at 11. if London has a decent pro day then I think it boils down to him or Hamilton whichever isn’t gone. I’m good with either as they both would fill holes. 

We traded up for Montez Sweat. And that's without even thinking hard. Eagles and Saints just dealt picks without knowing who'd be there 100%.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RWJ said:

He makes the most sense, SIP.  Really what all the hate when you look at his stats which are very good, and his arm was strongest at the Combine.  His tape looks good but then there are others that are ND fans that can't stand they guy and then I read tweets where people are in love with the guy.  I think Zampese has some good clay to work with here.  Don't you? :) 

I don't know.  I'd have to watch some games.   I admit its amusing to see the burgeoning debate on the Qb thread about Heinicke versus name that 6th-7h rounder.  :ols:    I got so many O lineman and safeties in particular to watch that not sure i'll have the time to dive into late round QBs.  I suspect our backup QB debate if it manifests won't matter to our season. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Forever A Redskin said:

We traded up for Montez Sweat. And that's without even thinking hard. Eagles and Saints just dealt picks without knowing who'd be there 100%.

Yes but that was at 26 not 11. Saints may have acquired the Eagles 2 picks to move into the top ten if they’re enthralled with maybe a Willis who Carolina will probably choose. 

8 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I think we have a good shot to do it.  the question is how far would they be willing to trade down and if they don't want to trade down far their options might be limited.  Some talk that there are needy WR teams from the back end of the draft who want to trade up.  Some talk that if a pass rusher or O lineman makes it out of the top 10 -- might be some desire for a team to trade up.  Maybe a Cb. 

At 19, the situation felt bleak as for a trade down.  But at 11, I'd guess they likely have an opportunity to do it.  

• Like 1

Just now, skinsfan93 said:

Yes but that was at 26 not 11. Saints may have acquired the Eagles 2 picks to move into the top ten if they’re enthralled with maybe a Willis who Carolina will probably choose. 

There's a good chance a QB falls to 11. Only takes one team in love with one player. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I share the same opinion on London. Friday will be a very big day for him.

I go back and forth. He's boom or bust for me. Could see him being a stud but just as easily see him struggling to separate at the pro level with better corners. I'll defer to Ron, if he loves him I can get onboard.

I'd still rather trade down but London is one of the few players that are maybe worth staying at 11 for. Olave definitely isnt. Count me out on London if he posts poor agility scores. 4.6 absolute max, but agility drills will be key.

London with a great catch radius and IMO can seperate, reminds me a lot of Jordan Reed as i've mentioned a bunch of times -- similar moves in their releases and how they seperate underneath.   He's a really good player.  The only criticism i hear of London that i somewhat agree with is that he won't be a third level threat at the NFL because he doesn't have that breakaway speed.  i don't need his speed to be anything special.  I'd like it to be in the 4.55 range give or take.  As for metrics outside of speed, i am curious about his explosion numbers -- vertical, broad more so than agility.  IMO his game is so much about being tall and his body control in the air so I want to see if his measurables match what it looks like.

I recall you mentioning Alec Pierce.  He was one of the first WRs I mentioned on this thread for this draft a long time ago.  IMO he's not as good as Drake even though he's faster than him.  But his ability to make acrobatic catches while not on par with Drake is also pretty darn good IMO.  If we miss out on Drake and they are looking for a big target, Alec IMO is of that brand.  And just like Drake had to do with Slovis, Pierce had to come back and adjust to catch the ball from Ridder.  Ridder didn't hit Pierce much in stride.   I know Ridder is one of the more touted Qbs in this class but his accuracy can be sketchy at times and Pierce bailed him out plenty of times on errant throws.   

14 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

There's a good chance a QB falls to 11. Only takes one team in love with one player. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Yup only takes one team so Ron and Mayhew better be working the phones hard while Jets are making their pick. Obviously Jets won’t be drafting a qb. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think we have a good shot to do it.  the question is how far would they be willing to trade down and if they don't want to trade down far their options might be limited.  Some talk that there are needy WR teams from the back end of the draft who want to trade up.  Some talk that if a pass rusher or O lineman makes it out of the top 10 -- might be some desire for a team to trade up.  Maybe a Cb. 

At 19, the situation felt bleak as for a trade down.  But at 11, I'd guess they likely have an opportunity to do it.  

Best case scenario is #14 w/Balt. and recouping a 3rd from them, if there's a player they want.   Otherwise, if they trade down big, they score a bundle of picks but as I've mentioned, they better select boom players instead of bust ones.  

8 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Yup only takes one team so Ron and Mayhew better be working the phones hard while Jets are making their pick. Obviously Jets won’t be drafting a qb. 

That and there will be OL or Hamiton or a big time talent that slips and they're working the phones for that player or players.  They better be talking on the phones way before the draft starts to put together trade plans. 

• Like 1

If we want London at 11 his pro day really needs to thread a needle. Too poor and he’ll be a reach there (I’d have to see some pretty damn poor athleticism numbers to get worried, but I can’t rule it out). He’s already mocked around or before our pick with an assumption of functional agility and middling 4.55+ speed. If he actually surpasses expectations he probably won’t get past the Jets or someone like that. He needs to be perceived as an average athlete due to testing numbers to fall to 11 imo, and it’s what we should hope for. The other loophole would be if it turns out the injury that delayed his pro day in the end prevents him from putting times on paper for teams. Not having measurables for him at all would be a risk but a conceivable way to see him drop to us at 11. 

I’m reminded of Mike Evans his draft year.  Another 20 year old rookie. People wondered if he struggled to separate, and while none of his measurables were alarming he didn’t blow the roof off the combine. Acceptable 4.53 speed that became damn impressive in the context of his height and weight, and a disappointing 7.00+ 3-cone had some repeating the separation and agility concerns. In the end we all know he went #7 overall. They aren’t the same prospect but this reminds me of that, where people conflate a WR with build-up speed that’s great for their size—who had an inordinate amount of contested catches because they helped their QB big time (for many it only became super apparent later that Evans helped make Johnny Football), where over-dissection caused some speed and athleticism questions that were actually answered plenty satisfactorily on tape.

Evans has become such a long term stud that some might have forgotten the “separation” questions he had coming out. Tee Higgins is a more recent example of the tall, long, build-up speed deep threat WR1 type who gets overly questioned on this front before the draft. AJB and Chase also suffered such separation ability speculation (more so based off of film nerd nitpicking than measurables) which was even sillier, but London compares much more to Evans/Higgins imo so I’ll stick with that.

Some people insist on listing N’Keal Harry as the worst case scenario comparable who it turns out really couldn’t separate at the NFL level, but that ignores that his strengths coming out were always in the YAC bully category  and he didn’t have the explosion or technical ability to back that up in the NFL, which for many was foreseeable. London’s skillset isn’t comparable imo, he doesn’t have the same holes in his game or the same reliance on a specific skillset that won’t translate. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The fact that London already has foot injuries is troubling. Reminds me of Dez Bryant but at least Bryant had a real good career already. Foot injuries are killers for receivers like that who don't have that much breakaway speed to begin with.

Olave is still a cleaner prospect to me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The fact that London already has foot injuries is troubling. Reminds me of Dez Bryant but at least Bryant had a real good career already. Foot injuries are killers for receivers like that who don't have that much breakaway speed to begin with.

Olave is still a cleaner prospect to me.

Along with the weight that he is carrying as a WR.  I like Wilson better than Olave but WH36 you and I know and most should that the pick will be Olave if he's there.  Many might not want to admit it but RR was seen talking to him a video . Terry vouches for him like a brother and he's probably closer to Olave than Samuel.  My guess.  I want a trade down but unless it's #14 to Balt. where we can still comfortably still draft him,  it will be Olave, it just makes too much sense to me connecting the dots.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan93 said:

I totally disagree. You are considering just QBs for tradedown formulas. However, given receiver salaries and that GB and KC each have 2 1st round picks and currently lack high end receiving talent, if Wilson or London are there at #11, you can bet that there will be a team willing to move up for one of those guys. I also believe if Thibs, Hamilton, Sauce or Cross fall to #11, there will be teams interested in moving up for each of them as there is a noticeable dropoff after these guys in their position groups.

If at least 3 EDGEs go in the top 10, there is a high likelihood that at least one sought after WR or QB will be there at #11.