Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Sauce Gardner.  I know its not sexy to take a corner early.  He's intriguing to me though, he's on the table for me.  I like his Deon Sanders like bravado albeit he's more quiet than Deon.  I was listening to Martin Mayhew talk about what he likes in corners and he started with competitiveness -- he doesn't like CBs who takes plays off, he wants CBs that are competitive as heck and doesn't want to give up a single pass.  Gardner to me comes off like that. 

He played big in big games including the one against Alabama.  

Pros

Press corner--physical, uses his frame-long arms well

Mirrors well -- seems aware of what the WR is trying to do

Decent ball skills 

Competitive as heck

Plays left, right, slot.  They move him all over.

Corner blitzes -- 3 sacks this season

Plays the run well, likes to get physical

Cons

Tough to tell his speed.  He's tall but lanky, I'd like to see what he runs, he looks to have decent speed but tough for me to tell if he's crazy fast.  i like speed with my CBs so I am really curious to see what he runs. 

whiffs on some tackles in the run game 

really grabby, he will get his share of holding calls

He relies a lot on disrupting routes -- does that work as well in the NFL against dudes who are good with releases?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

Where is he realistically going to go in this draft?

i have a low skill rating on such predictions becuase i've never really been invested in making them and prefer to 'wait and see' except for rare cases when it really mattered to us directly and even them i'm not that good at it :) 

but imma guess late second (i saw koolblue made a similar estimate so we're both likely off 😁)

added: i also really like austin and the sauce

i want them all

• Haha 1

On someone like Jordan Davis, I’m still weary of huge DL guys like him. He seems younger and more athletic than this example, but we got burned in the worst way with guys like Pot Roast. They’d just go hurry up and keep the same formation in, and he wouldn’t be able to keep up. Haynesworth too but that was other issues as well. 

Georgias overall D was so good, they got off the field. Ours won’t be as lucky in the NFL. 

Why is this different?

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Gardner behind this DL could be scary. We need someone with his ****iness and swagger on our team. We don't have enough of that.

He definitiely has the swagger and plays with a fun level of feistiness.  I am really curious to see what he runs this weekend.  

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That is rough.  Kind of makes you wonder why he even ran it because, either he didn't train for it, or he was hitting such poor times in his training that his trainer should have had him skip it.

Regardless, it's going to throw cold water on the idea he can play OT in the NFL and hurt his draft stock.  People are going to assume he won't be able to handle quick counters.  On the whole, he seemed to have a poor combine, and even though I like the player, it feels like 11 is a reach for him.  I'm thinking he goes in the 20s now.

On the flip side, Zion Johnson had a fantastic workout and he and Green were kind of battling for IOL 2.  I think Johnson might pull ahead of him given the differences in their test athleticism.  Johnson elevated himself into the first round, although 11 is probably still too early for him.

Penning and Cross had awesome workouts too, and both are going to go in the first round.  Penning's impressive measurables aside, I thought the film of his I watched looked pretty rough.  I felt pretty definitively that 11 was too early for him, and that he was more accurately valued in the 20s.  Cross is the one who intrigues me the most now.  I haven't watched him yet and he's been on my list to get to forever, now I'm looking forward to doing it.  He's got the same elite pedigree as Kenyon Green, but he tested out as a high level athlete too.

• Like 2

I think there's a chance Sauce or Kyle Hamilton is there at #11.    I think Stingley will be there.   

The OT class will push some players down to 11.    

If Jermaine Johnson has a really good day, I think he could go top 10.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Nakobe Dean or Devin Lloyd: Who's the top off-ball linebacker in the 2022 NFL Draft?

While this prospect pool stirs plenty of discussion on the pecking order for passers, pass catchers and pass rushers, the top two LBs might actually offer the best mano-a-mano debate. What's your flavor? Is it Dean, the explosive, heady alpha-dog leader of Georgia's stacked defense? Or Lloyd, the lengthy, versatile stat-stuffer out of Utah? It's a house divided among NFL Network draft analysts: Daniel Jeremiah and Lance Zierlein rank Dean just above Lloyd, while Bucky Brooks has Lloyd nipping Dean.

So, what do the players themselves think? Asked at the 2022 NFL Scouting Combine on Friday if he's the best off-ball linebacker in this class, Dean didn't hesitate.

"I believe so, yes," the 2021 Butkus Award winner said, before answering a follow-up question about what makes him stand out from the pack. "My mindset and my mentality that goes into things separate me from everyone else."

Lloyd directly followed Dean at Podium 3 in the Indiana Convention Center. Told of Dean's opinion on the positional hierarchy, the 2021 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year provided a more diplomatic response.

"I feel like everyone out here feels they're the best, as they should," Lloyd said. "These are some of the top athletes in the country, and so everyone has every right to feel that way."

Both AP first-team All-Americans in 2021, Dean and Lloyd helped lift their respective teams to new heights: Georgia won its first national championship in 41 years, while Utah played in its first Rose Bowl in program history. And while off-ball linebacker isn't exactly a marquee position in draft world, both players are consistently mocked in Round 1. But when it comes to playing style, these two vaunted prospects are cut from a different mold. Dean's a compact, instinctive playmaker who's most comfortable playing traffic cop in the middle of the defense. Meanwhile, Lloyd's lean and long, with the ability to excel inside or hunt quarterbacks off the edge.

Another difference: Their approach to this week in Indianapolis. While Dean says he's waiting until Georgia's pro day on March 16 to perform drills for scouts, Lloyd plans to fully participate in Saturday evening's on-field workout at Lucas Oil Stadium (4 p.m. ET on NFL Network).

However, Dean and Lloyd are in unison when it comes their appreciation of the most impactful rookie linebacker in recent memory: Micah Parsons. Both prospects showered praise on the reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year, citing him as motivation to hit the ground running in 2022.

"He had a great year and that definitely is inspiring for a lot of players, just seeing what he did," Lloyd said. "Definitely plan on coming in and doing great things as well."

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep just like the past safety hardcore Redskins fan, Philip Thomas.  He was a Redskins freak, I recall him talking about it.

He checks all the boxes of our late rounders and Forrest didn't even do well on STs last year. Everett I assume is gone. Same with DJ and maybe Apke, so our secondary is pretty bare.

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He checks all the boxes of our late rounders and Forrest didn't even do well on STs last year. Everett I assume is gone. Same with DJ and maybe Apke, so our secondary is pretty bare.

Forrest had the oddest interview of the bunch when we drafted him.  He more or less said he considers himself a special teams player more than a safety.  Also when asked if he can play FS, he played it down some as if he thought he'd play better at SS.  One of the oddest things Ive heard from a draft pick.  I noted that at the time.  I am not shocked he's the one guy in that draft who basically did nothing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I think there's a chance Sauce or Kyle Hamilton is there at #11.    I think Stingley will be there.   

The OT class will push some players down to 11.    

If Jermaine Johnson has a really good day, I think he could go top 10.

I don't think there is any chance Hamilton falls to 11. Unicorns like him get taken early regardless of positional value.

Sauce it would depend on the QB needy teams and how much teams value the top edge rushers. Also the Broncos and Panthers likely wouldn't draft him since they both just took CBs with top 10 picks last year.

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Forrest had the oddest interview of the bunch when we drafted him.  He more or less said he considers himself a special teams player more than a safety.  Also when asked if he can play FS, he played it down some as if he thought he'd play better at SS.  One of the oddest things Ive heard from a draft pick.  I noted that at the time.  I am not shocked he's the one guy in that draft who basically did nothing

That's bizarre :ols:

Tough team to make a name for yourself on ST, considering Apke, Mayo and Everett are some of the leagues best.

• Like 1