Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

11 minutes ago, VirginiaVibes said:

Big issue to me.  Smallest hands that I know of in the NFL besides Fromm, I think.  It's a shame because he has a lot of good things going for him.  An 8 1/2 inch hand(s) do not cut it in the NFL.  Too many botched snaps/fumbles etc.  Hard pass.

Pickets hand size is better than I thought, so that's good and Corrals weight and height has me feeling better about them both. I still think I like Ridder in the back half of the 1rst the most though.

Ideally to me, Pickett or Willis falls to 11. Pittsburg trades up with us, giving us a 1rst next year and we take the top QB and MLB with our 1rst two picks, whoever is there.

If the QB we draft doesn't exceed expectations this year, we go extra hard next draft.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Big issue to me.  Smallest hands that I know of in the NFL besides Fromm, I think.  It's a shame because he has a lot of good things going for him.  An 8 1/2 inch hand(s) do not cut it in the NFL.  Too many botched snaps/fumbles etc.  Hard pass.

Could not agree more.

Everyone keeps talking about hand size as if there is a cut off that would allow someone to be a pro bowler vs flunking out.

In reality, as you point out, is that the smaller hands will realize more fumbling issues and poor weather issues.

If you profile as an elite QB, then smaller hands can hurt you, but not enough to offset your talent. (Think Mahomes with <=9" hands)

If you are Kenny Pickett and profile as a Kirk Cousins/Carr caliber QB... and THEN add in the small hands, its a recipe for disaster as he simply doesnt have enough talent Margin to offset the hand size.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Granted mocks as we know are far from always accurate but I see Lloyd in the top 10 more often than I don't.   How would you feel if Lloyd is likely not in the picture?

I'm pretty skeptical that Lloyd will go top ten.  I guess if he runs a really fast 40 and teams see him as a Devin White-like hybrid rusher/LBer then it could happen.  But one of my rules of thumb is that linebackers almost always go later than the mock drafters predict.

But if he did go top ten, then I would lean more towards going QB at 11.  Lloyd is one of my most desired prospects because of the intersection of talent/fit/need/value he represents for us.  So Aidan Hutchinson/Thibodeaux are less desirable to me even though they represent greater value, but far less fit/need and the talent is probably a wash.  The other thing is Lloyd and Dean are my tier 1 LBers and I think they are so much better than the lower tier options that I'm not even sure I'm getting big enough upgrades from other prospects to make it worth picking them over other options. 

Compare that to WR where someone like Treylon Burks or Garrett Wilson or Drake London is also appealing as a BPA candidate at 11, I'm not sure they are better enough than the tier 2 and 3 receivers that I'll have access to around 42 to make it worth the difference between the tier 1 and tier 3 QBs.  I think there is a very real chance that Jameson Williams is still on the board at 42 because of his injury.

So I guess if Lloyd is off the table at 11 and the pick is too high for Dean, the only BPA candidates left to tempt me away from the QBs are the corners, Cross/Linderbaum/Green, and Burks/Wilson/London.  I lean QB in most of those situations.  Stingley and the OLs tempt me, but I would go Willis over them and probably go Pickett too.  But I also think I like Willis and Pickett more than the board consensus does, and see them as being close to BPA at 11 in most situations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Reading that, I'd take London all day. Burks sounds like a sociopath. 

Im not sure if you are saying this in jest. I LOVE when athletes grow up on farms/hunting/etc. There is a no BS grittiness, unselfishness, and accountability that accompanies this lifestyle that profiles well.

I love Burks even more now.

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pickett lost some weight, I gather.  Just listened to his coach say he was 225.  And Corral gained some weight.  Only 5 pounds of difference between them.  And Pickett is almost 2 inches taller so as purely from a weight standpoint, Pickett is actually now a hair scrawnier than Corral.

Why are the numbers of career fumbles by Pickett cited by Brugler and Allbright so different?  I know it's not an officially tracked statistic for CFB, and it feels like they're making it up.

1 minute ago, pcbothwel said:

Im not sure if you are saying this in jest. I LOVE when athletes grow up on farms/hunting/etc. There is a no BS grittiness, unselfishness, and accountability that accompanies this lifestyle that profiles well.

I love Burks even more now.

No, I think chasing animals with dogs, so you can sneak up behind them to stab them to death is a red flag of a sociopath. It's disgusting.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

No, I think chasing animals with dogs, so you can sneak up behind them to stab them to death is a red flag of a sociopath. It's disgusting.

Oh dear god, if you have no concept of Hog/Bird/Deer hunting then I cant help you. Feral (Wild) Hogs throughout the South are F'n awful.

- Full of diseases (Cholera), ticks, lice, etc

- Extremely destructive to crops, roads, and entire ecosystem

- One of the fastest breeding animals on earth

Athletes that grow up in this lifestyle are MUCH better prospects (Talent aside). Planning a hunt, preparation and getting up before sunrise, committing to a full day (Or multiple day) hunt, etc. So many life lessons about hard work, disappointment, connection to your natural environment.

There is a reason that guys like Jimmy Butler simply outwork people over their entire career before becoming a 1st ballot HOF.

20 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Why are the numbers of career fumbles by Pickett cited by Brugler and Allbright so different?  I know it's not an officially tracked statistic for CFB, and it feels like they're making it up.

Brugler these days has become famous for his draft guide which compiles every stat under the sun.  So i'd put money on him.  But I don't know.  The first thing that hits me as for different numbers is some stat outfits judge fumbles as to lost fumbles and some do it as to just plain number of fumbles.  The idea that Pickett has fumbled more than his share of times in college isn't some new revelation, been talked about plenty in the context of his hands 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

26 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

Oh dear god, if you have no concept of Hog/Bird/Deer hunting then I cant help you. Feral (Wild) Hogs throughout the South are F'n awful.

- Full of diseases (Cholera), ticks, lice, etc

- Extremely destructive to crops, roads, and entire ecosystem

- One of the fastest breeding animals on earth

Athletes that grow up in this lifestyle are MUCH better prospects (Talent aside). Planning a hunt, preparation and getting up before sunrise, committing to a full day (Or multiple day) hunt, etc. So many life lessons about hard work, disappointment, connection to your natural environment.

There is a reason that guys like Jimmy Butler simply outwork people over their entire career before becoming a 1st ballot HOF.

Cool. Not getting into a non football conversation about the merits of hunting.

I'd rather the guys that is more polished and plays basketball to improve his craft. 

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I'm pretty skeptical that Lloyd will go top ten.  I guess if he runs a really fast 40 and teams see him as a Devin White-like hybrid rusher/LBer then it could happen.  But one of my rules of thumb is that linebackers almost always go later than the mock drafters predict.

Will see.  Lloyd does have some pass rushing chops as you know.  Agree the 40 time could be big.

Compare that to WR where someone like Treylon Burks or Garrett Wilson or Drake London is also appealing as a BPA candidate at 11, I'm not sure they are better enough than the tier 2 and 3 receivers that I'll have access to around 42 to make it worth the difference between the tier 1 and tier 3 QBs.  I think there is a very real chance that Jameson Williams is still on the board at 42 because of his injury..

Love all three of those receivers.  But I agree as I keep diving into the receivers I like the 2nd-3rd round crop.  I like some of the 2nd-3rd round LBs too but I do think the gap between Lloyd and Dean is much more stark than the top receivers to the next run of WRs.

I get the point but I wonder If Williams falls that far down considering how great Weddle looked his rookie year.

2 receivers that I think might be there even though I see them in the first in some mocks are Olave and Dotson.   I recall saying when Hamler came out that he was a fun watch in college but I was skpetical about him in the pros because he was small and somewhat played to his size for good and bad.  I like Dotson more than I did Hamler but I wonder about the same thing about him?   I like Doctson's hands better than I did Hamler, he can make some acrobatic catches. I got to think about it some more.

As for Olave he strikes me a poor man's Wilson.  He's not Wilson as far as acrobatic catches/catch radius, or IMO his feet aren't at the same level of quickness -- quick breaks.  But he has some good double moves and seperation skills.  Good hands.  I wonder though if he gets bullied in the pros by physical corners.  I haven't spent a ton of time on either player but I'll dive in more soon.

Stingley and the OLs tempt me, but I would go Willis over them and probably go Pickett too.  But I also think I like Willis and Pickett more than the board consensus does, and see them as being close to BPA at 11 in most situations.

I haven't watched the O lineman and corners yet but love what I've read about them.  CB, O line, Edge, WR -- looks really strong.  TE not top heavy but deep.    Some good DTs, too.  Mayhew was saying the buzz among people he's spoken to (he agrees with them) is its not a heavy front loaded draft but the depth is really good.  

Compare that to WR where someone like Treylon Burks or Garrett Wilson or Drake London is also appealing as a BPA candidate at 11, I'm not sure they are better enough than the tier 2 and 3 receivers that I'll have access to around 42 to make it worth the difference between the tier 1 and tier 3 QBs.  I think there is a very real chance that Jameson Williams is still on the board at 42 because of his injury.

I think Williams goes in the first for sure.  Detroit is desperate for WRs.  They are in a rebuild mode and can afford to use #32 on Williams if he slides that far.  It represents a good risk/reward proposition for them.

I hope a ton of edges go top 10 and (if we don't take QB), we get Lloyd, Gardner, or London/Wilson/Burks.

Edited by mhd24

I'll double down on my point about Dotson after seeing this.  178 pounds.  Hamler was 176 pounds.  I am not just comparing because they played in the same school. I like Dotson a bit more than Hamler but they do IMO have some things in common.   I think I'd go Olave over Dotson if those were the choices.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I think I like Leo Chenal more than some here.    Chenal looks strong and plays strong.  To my eyes he looks fast enough, not a blazer but good speed for his size.  I wonder about his agility.  I am really curious as to how his combine goes. 

Wonder if he'll beat Pheas 49 times

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pickets hand size is better than I thought, so that's good and Corrals weight and height has me feeling better about them both. I still think I like Ridder in the back half of the 1rst the most though.

Ideally to me, Pickett or Willis falls to 11. Pittsburg trades up with us, giving us a 1rst next year and we take the top QB and MLB with our 1rst two picks, whoever is there.

If the QB we draft doesn't exceed expectations this year, we go extra hard next draft.

If they really want Pickett or Willis, why would they wait until we pick at 11. First of all we need a QB ourselves, so why risk and wait until we can make that decision. But also, we are basically the last team that needs a QB until probably New Orleans. So if they'd be willing to trade up for one of those they'd probably trade in front of us I would assume.