WP:Redskins Ready to Talk to Rhodes

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54630-2004Jan4.html

Redskins Ready to Talk to Rhodes

Seahawks' Season Over for Coach

By Mark Maske and Leonard Shapiro

Washington Post Staff Writers

Monday, January 5, 2004; Page D09

Washington Redskins officials hope to interview Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes for their head-coaching vacancy in the next day or two.

The Redskins planned to get in touch with Rhodes late last night or today, after he returned to Seattle. The Seahawks' season ended with an overtime loss in Green Bay in the first round of the NFC playoffs.

Rhodes declined to comment after the game. A Seahawks source said that Rhodes was uncertain if he wanted to interview with the Redskins, but added that members of the organization probably would urge him to seek the job. The Seahawks already have granted the Redskins' request to interview Rhodes.

Rhodes has expressed satisfaction with being a defensive coordinator since head-coaching stints with the Philadelphia Eagles and the Packers ended bitterly. He was fired by Green Bay after only one season. When he served as the Redskins' defensive coordinator in the 2000 season, he said he was content being an assistant.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder offered Rhodes the head-coaching job after firing Norv Turner with three games remaining in that season. But Rhodes refused, saying that taking the job would have been disloyal to Turner. He left the Redskins in a dispute with incoming coach Marty Schottenheimer and served as Denver's defensive coordinator before moving on to Seattle. He remains a favorite of Snyder's, but the owner probably would have to persuade him to seek the job.

Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' vice president of football operations, remained on the West Coast after interviewing former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel and former Minnesota Vikings coach Dennis Green in San Francisco in recent days. Green spent about 12 hours with Snyder and Cerrato over a two-day span. Green interviewed with the Arizona Cardinals last week and is scheduled to meet with Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis today.

"I thought [the Redskins interview] went well,'' Green said in a telephone interview yesterday. "I met with [snyder] Friday and Saturday, and we had a great exchange of ideas. There was no offer made. I'm going to Oakland [today] to talk to them.''

Sources said the Redskins were convinced after meeting with Green that they could work out a system with him for making player-related decisions if they want him to be their coach. Green has said in the past that he would want the final say on player moves, but Snyder and Cerrato do not seem prepared to step out of the process. Green had only kind words about the franchise yesterday.

"I think Washington is a great organization," Green said. "They have the ability to get unrestricted free agents. You look at their top 25 players, there are a lot of number one and number two draft choices. It does appeal to me and because it's the nation's capital, you've got 80,000 people in the stadium and everyone in Washington Redskins country loves the Redskins. They're number one in everything that can take place outside the game -- their revenue, their marketing, their ticket sales. If you can get good on the field, you've got everything you could possibly want.''

Fassel is scheduled to interview with the Buffalo Bills on Tuesday and perhaps Wednesday. He interviewed with Arizona last week, and NFL sources said the Cardinals were mulling over making an offer as early as today. There is some sentiment around the league that Fassel is the favorite to be offered the Redskins' job, and offers from other teams perhaps would force a resolution to the matter late this week.

The Redskins plan to reevaluate their options around midweek, sources said. Team officials put Fassel, Green and Rhodes at or near the top of their list just after Steve Spurrier resigned Tuesday, but said they would consider other candidates. New England Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel could be next in line if the Redskins expand their search to other assistant coaches around the league.

Shapiro reported from Green Bay, Wis.

There is some sentiment around the league that Fassel is the favorite to be offered the Redskins' job, and offers from other teams perhaps would force a resolution to the matter late this week.

Oh please be true, oh please be true....:paranoid:

Originally posted by TK421CLICKER

A Seahawks source said that Rhodes was uncertain if he wanted to interview with the Redskins, but added that members of the organization probably would urge him to seek the job.

Well, if you're a cynic or one of the many non-fans of Rhodes, there's some ammunition right there . . . . quite a vote of confidence from within.

By the way, I want the ball and I'm going to score.

Rhodes declined to comment after the game. A Seahawks source said that Rhodes was uncertain if he wanted to interview with the Redskins, but added that members of the organization probably would urge him to seek the job.

Rhodes has expressed satisfaction with being a defensive coordinator since head-coaching stints with the Philadelphia Eagles and the Packers ended bitterly. He was fired by Green Bay after only one season. When he served as the Redskins' defensive coordinator in the 2000 season, he said he was content being an assistant.

Here's to not having any ambition Ray! :thumb:

This is crazy! Nobody else is interested in him and he's not even sure he wants to interview. Why is Snyder wasting an ounce of jet fuel or one breath on a guy who isn't sure he even wants to be a head coach?

This is like recruiting - we want someone who is qualified AND wants to be here - is anxious to be here. At least Green is saying all the things you want to hear:

"I think Washington is a great organization," Green said. "They have the ability to get unrestricted free agents. You look at their top 25 players, there are a lot of number one and number two draft choices. It does appeal to me and because it's the nation's capital, you've got 80,000 people in the stadium and everyone in Washington Redskins country loves the Redskins. They're number one in everything that can take place outside the game -- their revenue, their marketing, their ticket sales. If you can get good on the field, you've got everything you could possibly want.''

Granted you shouldn't make a decision based on that quote, but based on what Rhodes is saying (or isn't saying), I don't understand why we haven't told him to forget it.

We all know now that if Snyder hires Rhodes he's only doing it because he knows the guy won't question any front office moves, not because he wants the best available coach. I have a bad feeling on this one guys. There is a reason why we are the only team looking at this guy. The guy has to be urged to interview for the damn job!! Do we really want another coach that doesn't really want to be here? I'm telling you if Snyder hires this guy it's because he wants another puppet to go along with his other one Vinny C.

In no way do I mean for this to be a racist comment, but considering the fact that we've already satisfied the minority interview requirement, it's frightening to me that we are interviewing Rhodes. It's a very bad sign.

How on earth Snyder could see the failed Rhodes as a better candidate than Crennel, Lovie Smith or any number of other guys we aren't interviewing is a mystery to me.

Originally posted by monkey66

My biggest question is why are we so hard up to interview a guy who doesn't appear to be all that interested in the job?

:shot:

Danny wants him and thinks he can convince him.

I pray Rhodes relunctance shows thru his interview and he just tells Dan; that he interview as a courtesy but he doesn't really want to be head coach.

Dont panic guys. I think most teams, including the Skins, will interview a minimum of three canidates for their head coaching jobs. To interview less then 3, would not seem like they were making much effort.

I think Rhodes is just number 3, and I don't think he really is a serious choice by the FO for our head coaching vacancy. Just my gut feeling. If he declines the interview, I think the Skins will find one more person to interview. :)

You may be on to something there with Rhodes. Could be smoke and mirrors, trying to make Arizona think they are going in a different direction. Or Buffalo. I think those are the two who worry the most for Green and Fassel. But chances are, neither coach will take the first offer they get. With this many teams looking at them, they will weigh their options. Besides, when does Snyder ever get out bid for his man.

Archived