Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cannabis stocks?

Chump Bailey

Greetings fellow ES members,

I'm considering dipping my toes into this vast pond and was wondering if any of you more experienced with the market could share your opinions on the matter. I'm very much a layperson in this area and finding good information is, as you well know, very difficult. Some analysts feel as though this is a dot.com situation that will be repeated with many cannabis stocks being way overvalued with the black market a persistent threat looming in the background and that most will eventually fizzle and die. However, some feel as though some big winners will eventually emerge once federal legalization is realized with these companies now having access to banks and lines of credit. 

I'm considering initially with one to two-hundred shares eventually don't have the funds for some quite yet in the following companies:

Organigram (OGI) who've recently completed a deal with an Israeli company to supply them with 6 tons of cannabis

Curaleaf (CURLF) American multi-state operator

Trulieve (TCNNF) Dominating the medical cannabis market in Florida and multi-state operator

Canopy Growth (CGC) Canadian company and one of the biggest player's in the market

Green Thumb Industries (GTBIF) American multi-state operator but have branded labels which supposedly are coveted and increase the companies value/profits

Cresco Labs (CRLBF) American multi-state operator but apparently well positioned in California if they get things squared away

Any thoughts, opinions, advice are appreciated. I figured this may be an interesting and popular topic and decided to go ahead and start a thread.

Thanks!

I think you've missed the boat.  Most cannabis stocks are already trading at high P/E ratios and there isn't much upside left.  At least that's what I found a year ago when I was considering buying some.

@Chump Bailey do you smoke weed?

If the answer is "no", and you honestly just trying to make a buck, I will be sad and disappointed considering the fight for decriminalization, let alone legalization.

Even if you do smoke, I'll just be less sad because I knew this thread was coming. We are still in transition of who goes to jail for selling, and the conversation is already being had in which legal ones to invest in same time?

I won't judge you either way, you did ask our opinion, though.  I can't get into what you proposing for any reason beyond what I already stated is the concern these larger businesses will try to attack the smaller folk who helped get to this point once they treat them like competition.

How am I supposed to feel if Amazon starts selling weed before we dropped the charges for those folks in jail for the same thing?

Just invest in the MJ fund. It covers multiple stocks and pays a good dividend... At least it used to. Not sure if they’ve cut it with the recent economic uncertainty.

On that same line of thinking, I’d probably hold off right now. More risk for downside than there is potential for upside right now.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

@Chump Bailey do you smoke weed?

Not anymore, but used to quite a bit for a good decade. Hey, I still have a misdemeanor possession charge in Prince William County way back in 1993 that I still have to admit for government jobs. Even though July 1 cannabis is decriminalized in Virginia prior convictions still show up on FBI background checks. No others however. It's ridiculous as is the country's stance on the plant, which never should have been made illegal to begin with. Now, I also understand some of the reservations. These are not pop-tarts we're talking about. I'm concerned to an extent about the extremely high THC levels and isolated THC compounds. I don't think this is wise but I'm certainly no expert.

34 minutes ago, techboy said:

Stock picking is suboptimal and exposes you to uncompensated risk. I'd recommend against it.

Thanks buddy. I'll be in the VOO Vanguard index fund soon too. 

Archived