Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another thing to consider when it comes to resigning Champ..

NoCalMike

To me the biggest question with letting champ go, is whether team officials feel Fred Smoot can fill in and become the #1 corner. If not, we will most likely have to pay Woodson, or Surtain or Bly or whoever, just as much as Champ, and add to that, they will be playing in a brand new defense.....etc.......

If the team does feel Smoot can be a #1 CB, then it does bring more bargaining power to the table and we can focus on a #2 CB......personally I don't think Smoot has the speed to keep up with some of the more speedy recievers.

Here's an interesting scenario: there are lots of free agent CBs this year, including some really good ones, which will depress the market for Champ.

So say the Skins franchise Champ. That eats up cap room, $6m or so, limiting their ability to sign any FAs with big contracts. Close to the draft, but after the big CB FAs are signed, someone offers a first and a second for Champ. Do you take it?

Most likely you don't have a replacement available at that point, so you have to either grab one in the draft or replace him with a lesser player. It's gonna get interesting...

Originally posted by NoCalMike

To me the biggest question with letting champ go, is whether team officials feel Fred Smoot can fill in and become the #1 corner. If not, we will most likely have to pay Woodson, or Surtain or Bly or whoever, just as much as Champ, and add to that, they will be playing in a brand new defense.....etc.....

Not if we sign CB Bobby Taylor. :D

Well one thing to ponder is, how important is it to have a "shutdown" corner opposed to a GOOD corner? I mean seriously, I think before we need to worry about paying Bailey 10000000000 million, we need to worry about how much money is there for a D-Line, because if the D-line is just as bad next year, Bailey will probably suffer just as much and we won't get our money's worth with champ even if it isn't his fault.

Question: Which is more important. A Dominant D-line with GOOD CBS

or

An average D-line, with Shutdown Corners?

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Well one thing to ponder is, how important is it to have a "shutdown" corner opposed to a GOOD corner? I mean seriously, I think before we need to worry about paying Bailey 10000000000 million, we need to worry about how much money is there for a D-Line, because if the D-line is just as bad next year, Bailey will probably suffer just as much and we won't get our money's worth with champ even if it isn't his fault.

Question: Which is more important. A Dominant D-line with GOOD CBS

or

An average D-line, with Shutdown Corners?

I think this season answered that question pretty well.

NoCal.......in response to your post, I believe that for the sake of the salary cap, team officials are naturally gonna wanna believe that Freddie can take over the number 1 corner role a season from now. It comes down to dollars and cents, and anything giving them reason to believe that Champ is expendable (ie. Freddie's solid play this season) will make the chances of him returning become slimmer and slimmer.

Smoot looked like a rising star this year.. our most consistent defender, by FAR.

Tough? A cracked sternum didn't stop him from running full force into receivers to make tackles or jar the ball loose.. THAT is tough.

Leadership? I think Smoot has stepped up well into the leadership VOID left by Champ and his lousy attitude.

I sincerely believe that we should leave the secondary alone and focus on the pass rush. A good pass rush makes everyone else's job easier.

I've asked on a few threads,, i'll ask again,,

If Champ departs,, why not give Baumann a chance?

~Bang

I would agree that Smoot is not the #1 corner that Champ probably is. However, I think it's a matter of time before Champ is gone (why else would our #2 CB be chosen as team MVP when he missed more time than our #1 CB).

That being said, I agree with an earlier poster that I would prefer to have two guys like Smoot and a good DL than two money CBs and no pressure on the QB...

I think Smoot is a #2 - a good #2, but not #1 talent. Bailey is clearly a #1 and at this point, he needs to be resigned. I mean, it's no mistake that Bailey was selected for the Pro Bowl - Again.

As to the current contract situation - Bailey's rejection of the 9 year, $55 million offer does make some sense. Only about $12 million were guaranteed (as a signing bonus) and the initial offer from the Skins was super backloaded. It doesn't take a genious to see that it's really closer to a 5-year $25 million deal, which really isn't that hot. I still have hopes that they'll get a deal done so they won't have to franchise him (which would hurt the cap position).

I'll be talking about this in depth in the near future at SportsFiends.com.

Champ doesn't want to play for Washington anymore so the team should try to get the most bang for the buck in a trade.

If Champ came out and said he wanted to be a life long Redskin then fine give him his money but he has yet make that statement.

Archived