Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Family trip to New York PLEASE HELP

HoggLife

So we moved from California to Ohio 2 years ago so we could experience this side of the US. We have been able to visit so many states and cities. This will ne the first time for my wife,  2 year old daughter and me to New York  and something we always dreamed about.  Dates are open but I was thinking Dec. 23rd-Dec. 26. From what I read a Christmas trip would be better then a New Year's trip.  Anyways I was hoping you guys can help me with planning the best things to do in New York for 4 full days and nights.  Thank you so much im advanced. I love our Redskins family and I'm excited knowing you all can help me plan the best trip me and my family can remember. Since we are driving we have now added going to our very 1st Redskins home game against the Giants. Big game Haskins vrs Giants. I hope Daniel Jones plays too. Beginning of a rivalry. Then we will have dinner at Gordon Ramsays Steak after the game. If anyone is tailgating for the game and wants our company please let me know. 

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Yeah, New Years in Manhattan is a bit too much.

Definitely have a go at Central Park if the weather is agreeable.

Also, there is a Redskins bar.  They do it up right on game day!

https://redemptionnyc.com/

Thank you. I just saw we play the Giants on the 22nd so I think we will start the trip with our 1st Redskins home game ever too. Excited to see Haskins light up NY (pun intended)

I go to NYC quite a bit for work, and if the trip is close to the weekend, I'll bring my wife and 4 year old with me.  I think if this is your first trip, you should do the big highlights.  Spend a day around the financial district and go to the top of One World Trade.  Take a boat tour around the Statue of Liberty (I've never actually stopped and done a real tour of the statue), check out Wall Street and explain to your 2 year old why society is rigged against her.  :)

Spend another day walking around midtown.  See Times Square but do not stop for anyone trying to initiate conversation with you.  Take your 2 year old into FAO Schwarz store at Rockefeller Center.  Go walk around Central Park and go to the Met (if museums are your thing).  

After that, you'll probably have learned/heard of other things that interest you, so go do that.  

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Natural History Museum near Central Park  is great. If you’re willing to venture out of Manhattan, go to Astoria and Brighton Beach which have a lot of great ethnic restaurants. 

Yes I'm totally okay with traveling so anything in a hour ratios is good. 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I go to NYC quite a bit for work, and if the trip is close to the weekend, I'll bring my wife and 4 year old with me.  I think if this is your first trip, you should do the big highlights.  Spend a day around the financial district and go to the top of One World Trade.  Take a boat tour around the Statue of Liberty (I've never actually stopped and done a real tour of the statue), check out Wall Street and explain to your 2 year old why society is rigged against her.  :)

Spend another day walking around midtown.  See Times Square but do not stop for anyone trying to initiate conversation with you.  Take your 2 year old into FAO Schwarz store at Rockefeller Center.  Go walk around Central Park and go to the Met (if museums are your thing).  

After that, you'll probably have learned/heard of other things that interest you, so go do that.  

This was the exact type of help I was looking for. Thank you so much. We want to see sights like Statue of liberty and all that but also out happiness is seeing our 2 year old happy so things she will enjoy to. Where is the best place to go to see christmas lights?

7 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

This was the exact type of help I was looking for. Thank you so much. We want to see sights like Statue of liberty and all that but also out happiness is seeing our 2 year old happy so things she will enjoy to. Where is the best place to go to see christmas lights?

Very welcome.  Hope you guys enjoy the trip.  NYC is very big on Xmas lights, so you'll have no trouble.  My pick would probably be Rockefeller Plaza.  My daughter, when she was 2, really liked the insane view from One World Trade and also just liked running around Bryant Park.  

7593B2E0-19EA-4BC5-B3E8-615453F26022.jpeg

214F1DFE-6E35-4F21-9AB3-6097C20F5F05.jpeg

We went 2 years ago between Christmas & NY Eve and had a great time. Amtrak up & back in a sleeper car like Lucy & Ricky was awesome. 

The streets will be jammed with people. Plan on a LOT of single file walking on the streets and walk almost everywhere or take the subway. Cabs with a toddler & the crowds will be painful (unless you're at a cab stand/hotel). 

Must do's: Agree with Try the Beal - walk through Central Park. Check the zoo hours before you go. Bring snacks & drinks so you don't have to pay $$ for them inside the park. If it's cold/snowy, take a ride in one of the horse carriages through the park. It's a pain dealing with them, pay in cash.  We actually rode bicycles when we went - weather was mid/upper 50s. Go see the Christmas lights at Macy's - awesome but crowded. They cycle through the light show (I forget how often). Christmas tree at Rockefeller Plaza (at night is best). Watch peeps skating at the Plaza. The window Christmas scenes at Tiffany's are worth going to see, too. Eat bagels, pizza slices, giant sandwiches. 

Edit: In my rush to answer your original question I forgot: You should visit the 9/11 Memorial. There's a subway stop nearby so it's an easy trip from mid-town. Also, my wife reminded me to check out the lights/windows at Lord & Taylor. 

21 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

We went 2 years ago between Christmas & NY Eve and had a great time. Amtrak up & back in a sleeper car like Lucy & Ricky was awesome. 

The streets will be jammed with people. Plan on a LOT of single file walking on the streets and walk almost everywhere or take the subway. Cabs with a toddler & the crowds will be painful (unless you're at a cab stand/hotel). 

Must do's: Agree with Try the Beal - walk through Central Park. Check the zoo hours before you go. Bring snacks & drinks so you don't have to pay $$ for them inside the park. If it's cold/snowy, take a ride in one of the horse carriages through the park. It's a pain dealing with them, pay in cash.  We actually rode bicycles when we went - weather was mid/upper 50s. Go see the Christmas lights at Macy's - awesome but crowded. They cycle through the light show (I forget how often). Christmas tree at Rockefeller Plaza (at night is best). Watch peeps skating at the Plaza. The window Christmas scenes at Tiffany's are worth going to see, too. Eat bagels, pizza slices, giant sandwiches. 

Awesome. Thanks. That is a lot of help.

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

NYC cabs are terrible, I would go with Uber or Lyft, which you can specify that you want one with a car seat.  

https://help.uber.com/riders/article/uber-car-seat?nodeId=3abcbae1-132b-42a9-8277-0dab00fa3879&state=fjGegZzlsM98WV8Y8EhqgzhFUu5JWLPUmnr1b1958AE%3D&_csid=g_oQcCMaXZFITPMxQ3AbFA#_

Would a hotel by central park or Rockefeller be best?

11 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Would a hotel by central park or Rockefeller be best?

Doesn't really matter.  Anywhere south of the park is going to be a good location and you'll be covering a lot of ground anyways.  I'd try to just find a place within your price range so you can spend more on experiences. 

I usually stay at the Iroquios, but that is because it is close to my firm's office and we have a discount with them.  It's reasonably priced and in a good location (also fairly close to the train station), but the rooms are SMALL. 

https://www.iroquoisny.com

I'd echo the things that PB said, there are many things to do.  The ferry cruise to see the Statue of Liberty is good, if you like a longer cruise you can take the circle line that goes entirely around the Island of Manhattan.  If you like aircraft/military stuff you can visit the Enterprise.  Since you have a 2YO I was going to recommend Peanut Butter & Co. in Greenwich Village if you happened to be there, but I just looked it up and they're closed.  Here's a list of some other kid friendly places, including one that specialized in Mac 'n' cheese:  https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-nyc-restaurants-for-kids-families/.

Archived