Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Bye Week

KDawg

Random assortment of thoughts on this roster:

1) Right now the Skins sit to pick second. Yesterday was a good day for our draft selection, however, I don't think we're going to finish this season winless. This team manages to win games late in the year when we least expect it. Having said that, sitting at #2, there are some intriguing options. Two out of three of Tua, Burrows and Young will be on the board. People probably know where I currently am with Haskins, but I would have a ridiculously difficult time passing on Chase Young. I think it will be Tua sitting there at 2 due to injuries and he hasn't looked quite the same this year (though still an outstanding prospect). I don't pass on Chase Young at that point.

2) Coinciding with point 1... The Redskins offensive line going into next year has potential to be a disaster. Scherff, Flowers, Penn are all free agents. Williams will not play for us. That leaves the only remaining starters as Roullier and Moses. Flowers will likely go with Callahan. Penn is likely to retire. Scherff, if we re-sign him, is a major domino. I haven't been as enamored with his play, but he is our best lineman, and the team has to spend money. If they manage to sign him we still have gaping holes on the left side. Piersbacher and Martin are going to need to be ready to take over at LG. But then the question is: What to do at LT? This is where I wish we had moved Williams for a 1 when we had a chance. The second 1st would be great to use on a new shiny LT. 

3) The running back situation is also a mess. Guice (has played less than 60 minutes of football given his two injuries), Love (hasn't played) and Peterson are the only three backs under contract. I don't know how the team doesn't roll with AP again next year. But this team needs a dynamic back that is a threat out of the backfield pretty badly. Doesn't have to be in the mold of Barkley. But a guy that plays similarly would be excellent. 

4) The defense. The defensive line is solid (but I wouldn't pass an opportunity to improve it with a Chase Young or a good prospect in the later rounds). Our linebackers are interesting. Reuben Foster is a player, but his injury concerns are... concerning. Holcomb is a solid prospect. But I worry that we always have developing prospects at the ILB spot and rarely a guy that sees the field and makes plays on a continuous basis. This is one of the major issues with our run defense. Holcomb reads and reacts very well, but struggles at the point of attack a little.  Secondary may improve simply from removing Norman from the room. But still, FS is a concern, as are both CB spots. I like Dunbar, but I don't love him in man match ups. 

5) The coach - Much of what has been said above is reliant on who the Skins bring in. If it's Callahan or KOC, that's not a great thing. It means status quo from FO control continues. Doug Williams informing Haskins he was the starter, and Callahan coming out and saying he's not are a very clear indication that they aren't on the same page. Granted, he's an interim guy, but still... The public relations aspect on this team has to have PR people nervous as hell if they take that position with this franchise. It's just so disjointed. Everything they do works in opposition. The gears don't turn. They grind against each other. 

I could list some other things, namely the GM, but we have beaten many of these convos into the ground already. These are my bye week takes on the franchise. I'd like to see some of yours.

Putting my head in the sand for the moment regarding our FO/ownership, the bright side is that we ought to have a good amount of cap space, should be able to get something decent for Williams, should have a high draft pick, and we have a good amount of youth either contributing or waiting in the wings (like the guards you mentioned).  
If we maintain our draft position, I’d be happy to land Chase, but I’d also be happy to trade back for a relative bounty.  Maybe even trade back again to have a good shot at 5+ picks in the first 3 rds.  That, plus FA could go a long way toward addressing our numerous weak spots.  

@KDawg good post.  While reading your points about the offensive line, it occurred to me this season is not rock bottom.  Rather, this level of ineptitude lingering for several years and becoming the day to day, year over year reality for this franchise...THAT is rock bottom.  And unless some good luck comes our way, I think this is exactly what will happen.  I mean, can anyone imagine Bruce Allen figuring out who to let go, who to re-sign, and restocking the offensive line to even a league average unit?  And just wait until it's the defensive line's turn to get paid.  Does anyone out there really think he can get that right?

This team is just so clearly and royally boned in perpetuity as long as Allen has a job.  And even his dismissal resulting in a change of fortunes relies on Snyder choosing a competent replacement, which are long odds to say the least.

Kind of an addition to your points 2 and 3; we also have some decisions to make at TE.  Is Reed going to continue? I think most would like him to retire for his own good.  I like Vernon Davis and he's still in great shape for a sixty-five year old, but how much longer can he keep going? That leaves Sprinkle and the unproven Hale Hentges. We also have Jerome Cunningham on IR and Wes Saxton on the PS, neither of who I know anything about.

IMO we need one or two quality blocking TEs who can also be at least a bit of a receiving threat.

1 hour ago, London Kev said:

IMO we need one or two quality blocking TEs who can also be at least a bit of a receiving threat.

We need TE, simple as that.

Reed will retire, Davis as well. What do we have left? Sprinkle? Was an interesting prospect but never really paned out (given the chance?).

Going into next year the only position I feel safe is Punter because Tress Way...

Even the resigning of Everett got me concerned. The guy was borderline not making the 53 2 years in a row and we sign him to a 3 year contract?

Don't get it...

22 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Reed will retire, Davis as well. What do we have left? Sprinkle? Was an interesting prospect but never really paned out (given the chance?).

Going into next year the only position I feel safe is Punter because Tress Way...

Even the resigning of Everett got me concerned. The guy was borderline not making the 53 2 years in a row and we sign him to a 3 year contract?

Don't get it...

Tress Way is a free agent, too.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Don't get it...

As for TE, I hope we go with more versatile guys (block & catch). In the past Gruden had Reed in on passing plays and Sprinkle in on runs far too often.

I like that we picked up the FB (Burton?) but I think he's only been used sparingly and don't think he's caught a pass yet.

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Tress Way is a free agent, too.

6cec67187d2e8f22adb9ef8560f72f536182786b

7 hours ago, London Kev said:

As for TE, I hope we go with more versatile guys (block & catch). In the past Gruden had Reed in on passing plays and Sprinkle in on runs far too often.

I like that we picked up the FB (Burton?) but I think he's only been used sparingly and don't think he's caught a pass yet.

True guy only played 20 snaps or something so far...

So his addition was not big deal...

Archived