Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Bailey gives hint he is considering free agency

TK

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20031216-120257-6002r.htm

Bailey gives hint he is considering free agency

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Washington Redskins cornerback Champ Bailey needed only two words yesterday to make his strongest statement to date about the possibility he would like to move to another team this offseason.

Bailey was discussing how free agents from other teams might be dissuaded from signing with the Redskins because of the team's growing track record of futility. Asked whether such thinking makes him less likely to re-sign, he replied, "No comment."

Meanwhile, coach Steve Spurrier said quarterback Tim Hasselbeck's poor outing in Sunday's 27-0 loss to the Dallas Cowboys did not alter plans for Hasselbeck to return as Washington's backup in 2004. The coach continued to compliment Hasselbeck for how well he has played in general given the short time he has spent with the team.

Bailey is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent at season's end, but the Redskins retain a crucial bargaining chip in the franchise tag, which essentially bars Bailey from signing with another club in return for a one-year contract based on the five highest-paid players at his position.

In the preseason, Bailey rejected Washington's opening contract offer for nine years and $55 million. He had at least nine points of contention with the proposal, mostly concerning the amount of money and the manner in which it was scheduled to be paid out.

Now, though, another element appears to have crept into Bailey's thinking: After five seasons of turmoil and progressively less success in Washington, he simply wants out.

Bailey has become increasingly vocal about key issues this season and less afraid to express controversial points of view. His biggest frustration has been the Redskins' five defensive coordinators during his tenure, with the distinct possibility that there could be a sixth in six years in 2004.

The prospect of further change and dicey odds of improvement seem to have Bailey thinking about other NFL clubs as the offseason approaches. He knows that it's only going to become more difficult for the Redskins to turn things around with each season they get worse.

"It's hard to get free agents if you're not winning," Bailey said. "People want to go win games. ... I wouldn't want to go to an organization where teams are just losing and don't have potential to win."

Washington would like to free up salary cap space with the contract of linebacker LaVar Arrington or tackle Chris Samuels this offseason. Such a move would allow the team to put the franchise tag on Bailey, which would act as leverage in talks for a long-term deal, and still pursue pricey fixes for positions like the defensive line.

However, the odds of a deal for Arrington or Samuels are extremely long because the players have little incentive to rewrite the remaining years on their current contracts. Washington might be forced to limit its acquisitions while the tag, which should be in the $6 million range, sits on Bailey.

Regarding Hasselbeck, the young passer is trying to regroup after a four-interception outing that generated a passing rating of 0.0. The performance scarcely resembled the way he played in his first three extended NFL outings, the last of which earned his first NFL win and a rating of 128.0.

But Spurrier is sticking by Hasselbeck, at least for now. The coach said Hasselbeck was under a lot of pressure from Cowboys rushers when he completed just six of 26 passes, and he added that receivers weren't always open, either. Asked whether plans to retain Hasselbeck had changed, Spurrier said, "No."

"Tim has performed, we think, very well for a young man who came in five, six weeks ago [actually about 7[1/2]] and has played almost four full games now," Spurrier said. "He's done pretty well."

Hasselbeck emerged from the Cowboys game extremely disappointed but determined to regroup.

"I'm going to play better next week," Hasselbeck said. "I'll tell you that right now."

Notes — Quarterback Patrick Ramsey underwent foot surgery in Charlotte, N.C. He was scheduled to remain overnight and return to the Washington area today. ... Samuels should return to practice this week and could play at Chicago after missing the past three games with a sprained knee. ...

Running back Trung Canidate said his sprained ankle has made "a little progress" and he hopes to test it in practice this week. Spurrier, though, said there are no immediate plans for Canidate to practice. ... Running back Chad Morton was sent home early with the flu that has bothered him the past two weeks. Generally, though, he didn't appear to be too sick. ...

Pro Bowl invitations will be announced later this week. An update of fan voting (which accounts for one-third of overall voting) released yesterday showed no Redskins leading their respective positions. Arrington was leading NFC outside linebackers several weeks ago but has been replaced by Tampa Bay's Derrick Brooks.

hahahaaha, the Washington Times crack reporters are at it again.

No Comment?

So Washington Times......tell us what was said in recent talks with North Korea about their Nukes.........No Comment?

Well that must mean they are planning on attacking.....errr.....or that we're working out a deal to get rid of them....errr.....or......they don't want to talk right now.

Just pick one and say its a strong comment.

La muerte de Bufford

what the times said wcame from the horses (ass) mouth on comcast and at the top of the hour they will air champ saying the same thing.

Cut bait

Champ is replaceable

We dont have that many must keep players and I am starting to cool toward lavar too

Franchise him and do under the table talks with hometown product S Springs and go after C Macalister of the ravens.

His off field stuff and springs could be had for the SB we are offering Champ who is trying to goto Atlanta since he spends more time in georgia than anywhere else.

Well...take the article with a grain of salt...it being the WT and all.

Secondly Champ, those losing seasons... the defensive collapses.. you haven't been apart of any of that have you? Those third down conversions you give up to marginal receivers, the deep balls you seem oblivious to defend. Oh.... and thanks for sparking the team, like many impact "elite" players of the NFL do, by jumping a route or tipping a pass that's ultimately intercepted..... or picking up a fumble and returning it for a TD like "impact" players Aeneas Williams and others like him are able to accomplish.

I want the 2 #1 picks, or the most we can get, and I want him out of town. Also... let's not forget, he played on a number of loosing teams at Georgia that were incapable of challenging for the SEC crown. I believe we drafted a gifted loser.

It's hard to win with me players who are only about getting paid

LOL...

He watches Snyder overspend on average players year in and year out. He watches him change coaches and assistants eery season.

He plays on a franchise whose future does not look bright right now.

He is staring down the barrel of a backloaded contract that he STILL will have renegotiate in 3 years....for what?

Why not go somewhere else and see how it works out...it couldn't go much worse.

It would be mutually beneficial for both parties if we franchised Champ and got either two picks or a player and a pick for him.

He's been here since 1999 and has seen teams rise and fall while we've continued to flounder. We've been a losing team with him, we can certainly do the same (and potentially use his value to improve other areas) without him.

I think it's time to severe ties with Champ.

Yeah...he's seen the team flounder.... but he takes no responsibility for it.

He's let marginal receivers like Toomer, Horn, Galloway, Rocket, S. Smith amongst others make plays against him. But, somehow.. he's frustrated by the team's loosing. WTF?

If he considers himself an elite corner in the Deion/Green mold, THAN WHY DON'T YOU PLAY LIKE IT YOU EFFING PUNK!!!!!

Finally, yes...a good observation that Champ "Aint no we in team" started mouthing off and pretending to be Deion right after Darrell Green retired from the Redskins.

It's time the team jettison the losers, and Bailey I believe would be close to the top of the alphabetical list.

Originally posted by Cskin

Yeah...he's seen the team flounder.... but he takes no responsibility for it.

He's let marginal receivers like Toomer, Horn, Galloway, Rocket, S. Smith amongst others make plays against him. But, somehow.. he's frustrated by the team's loosing. WTF?

If he considers himself an elite corner in the Deion/Green mold, THAN WHY DON'T YOU PLAY LIKE IT YOU EFFING PUNK!!!!!

Finally, yes...a good observation that Champ "Aint no we in team" started mouthing off and pretending to be Deion right after Darrell Green retired from the Redskins.

It's time the team jettison the losers, and Bailey I believe would be close to the top of the alphabetical list.

Where is your head? Show me one quote where he seemed like Deion? Stop overexagerating.

Also, you are underrating many very good recievers just to prove a point that you are wrong on. Toomer is marginal? :laugh: :laugh: He absolutely shut Galloway down this week, and I can't recall a single time where Galloway ever got over on him. Joe Horn didn't do anything to him, but make a great acting job to the refs to get those two PI calls.

Furthermore, how could you blame him for feeling the way he does? He's been on one playoff team since being here. Nobody blamed Takeo Spikes for wanting out of Cincy when they were losing, why is Champ any different?

Also, a "no comment" does prove anything. I swear if this guy didn't respond to reporters at all, some of you people would still make up some bullsh!t and act like it came right from his mouth. We don't know how he feels, but if he does want to leave nobody should blame him when this team has very little direction.

I'm sick and tired of this Champ SH&T. Franchise his a$$, get 2 number one's or a number one and a proven player of need and let him go.

I went to the Jacksonville pre-season game and during warm ups he was 2 feet in front of me. I asked him to please sign the extension and "SURPRISINGLY" he said they have to pay him big money.

My philosophy is that having four or five BIG DOLLAR players hurts us b/c you have to skimp everywhere else. Look at the Eagles. They are 14 Million under the cap with a bunch of no name offensive players and a lot of decent players on D, but with the right scheme, intensity, and hard work they've looked great over the last 4 years. It almost seems that players think they can come to the Skins, get paid big and just cruise through the season. Our formula does not work and Danny Boy needs to understand that quality, tough, hard working players don't require high dollars or we'll be in the same boat for years to come.

:doh:

Archived