Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As bad as Norv Turner was, he looks good now compared to Spurrier

Jersey, are you kidding?

our 7th round RB, Cartwright, played well enough today to warrant another start next week. Player of the game for us.

Morton has been excellent when given a chance.

Hasselbeck has been great until today. I'll give you that though, he stunk it up today.

Trotter isn't being used correctly.

Canidate is a waste of a pick.

Our Offensive Line played well. Very well.

All of our LBs contributed well.

The problem, you see, is that we were having a lot of success running the ball.

Then, for some reason, we got down 14-0 and suddenly Spurrier goes into "pass pass pass" mode, and Hasselbeck isn't that kind of QB. Hasselbeck is a run, run, pass kind of QB. He can't hit those 15 yard posts very well with that arm. I think Spurrier lost this one for us with his stupid play calling.

Originally posted by Whiskeypeet

I cant believe that people would want to hold on to a coach JUST for the sake of continuity.

And if you think that the ridiculous amount of coaching changes have not affected this team over the years, you have your HEAD UP YOUR BEHIND!!!!!!!!! I want a coach that can get it done as well, but I also believe in giving a coach (especially a coach that is adapting to the NFL) substantial time to get his system in place. People were calling for Spurriers head midway through the season. What ever happened to giving a coach 3 (AT THE VERY LEAST) or more years to get a team to the winning stages of the playoffs? People are too damn impatient these days. They expect championships to be formed over night!!! And when it doesn't happen, they demand changes. Change (COACHING) is not always the answer when you are not successful right off the bat! Give the man some time for God's sake!!! We need a decent coach, yes...but we also need continuity and until you have seen that, I don't think you can make an accurate assessment of what Spurrier is and is not capable of in the National Football League. Agree or disagree.

you don't hire a DC(lewis) and give him the asst. coach title so he can basically run the team,(oh yes remember),as our hotshot rookie college headcoach learns the intricacies of the NFL & concentrate on the O.what a joke..now that lewis is gone & SOS has full control you can see the backward step..we are toast with spurrier

JerseyGator, please go the Washington Post thread that Clicker put on the board that describes how unprepared the team was for the defense and alignments that Dallas threw out there today from the players own mouths and you will see the truth, my friend.

I sat through that game soaking wet watching this team get undressed in every phase of the effort.

This is a problem of organization as much or more as it is a lack of talent at any one or two positions.

Dallas doesn't have a 1,000 yard rusher or a defensive lineman who will reach 10 sacks this year but are 9-5.

A lot DOES come down to coaching.

My definition of good coaching has always been the yardstick of 'getting the MOST out of the available resources/talent you are given'...............

I just don't think that has happened here in a long time.

I can't remember the last time the Skins finished a season and I said 'wow, X or Y coach really got a lot more out of the team than I thought they had'.............

I don't see how anyone can say this team is better off with Marty than Spurrier. The schedule the Redskins played under Marty was a joke. Sure they won 8 of their last 11, but the only real team on that schedule they beat was Philadelphia. They were blown out by San Diego 30-3 and Kansas City 45-17. That's two embarassing losses to 2 sub .500 teams. Not to mention getting swept by 5-11 Dallas. Those 4 wins would have made us 12-4. There was no excuse for not making the playoffs with that joke of a schedule we had in 2001. Getting rid of Marty was a good way of making up for the mistake of hiring him.

Originally posted by RedskinsGirl

They expect championships to be formed over night!!! And when it doesn't happen, they demand changes. Change (COACHING) is not always the answer when you are not successful right off the bat! Give the man some time for God's sake!!!

Got to disagree with you. You see, SS has been given more time than "over night." The problem isn't that he hasn't delivered a championship....or even the playoffs. Heck the problem isnt even that he has'nt delivered a winning record for that matter. SS has had two years to implement his system and mold the players on the roster into the shape he wanted it. I personally didn't expect a winner this year. What I expected was the team to show improvement. I expected the team to look prepared. I expected the team to show signs of comming together and building momentum for next year. We are not even close to that. Did you watch the game today?

I may have "my head up my behind" but I am still capable of processing the fact that we got completley shut down by our arch rival at home today. Are you?

If this were a trend over just one game....or a hiccup over a seasons worth of improvement....... today wouldn't be a big deal. Sadly thats not the case.

The best possible case scenario for this team is to have a man capable of leading us to a championship allready employed by/leading the team. I would love to be on the SS bandwagon and for him to be that guy. The simple truth is that SS has had plenty of time to at least start showing us what he is capable of. To date it doesn't look like he's capable of a whole lot....or at least not at this level with this team.

Continuity JUST for the sake of continuity is pointless if your not headed in the right direction. We have no proof we are headed in the right direction. Holding on to SS just because we want continuity could end up costing this team a lot more in the long run. SS's system and philosophy were in question the day he entered the league. For a myriad of reasons neither has seemed to work very well. He has not shown a propencity to learn and develop as a coach. So what exactly is the point of continuity with this guy?

Heres to hopeing I am wrong. :cheers:

well, the Redskins lost this year 24-7 to a sub. 500 Bills team, right? :)

we lost at home to a Giants team that is now 4-9, right? :)

now we lose 27-0 and suffer our worst home shutout since 1951? :mad:

we could go back to last year and look up the Packer, Saints, Eagles scores and see where the Redskins were simply not competitive.............

and yet Spurrier and the braintrust get a pass because they are trying to construct the ULTIMATE dominator offense that no player seems to be able to execute? :laugh:

Please.

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

Would we have been better off had Marty stayed these last two seasons? Say we still drafted Ramsey last year and kept Davis(because you know Marty likes to run)? We finished strong to go 8-8 plus we'd have had the whole continuity thing going. Thoughts?

Plus we had F'n Tony Banks as our QB!!!!! Marty would have never gotten rid of Stevie...BUT, I don't think that we would have Laveraneus, though...hard to tell what MArty would have done...he isn't exactly lighting it up in SD.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

After reading his own press clippings, Spurrier came into the league suffering from "Mike Martz disease." Which is a disease characterized by symptoms of granduer, and with delusions of being the dominant offensive genius of the 21st century. :laugh:

This would be the same Martz who right now has his team at 11-3 and playoff bound. Had a rough couple of seasons but seems to have ironed things out some.....now...imagine if you will being a Rams fan on a Rams board prior to this year.......Fire Martz! Get rid of Lovee...ect.......well...you get the point. :)

:cheers:

the clear difference is that Martz had prior NFL experience and had in fact been on the staff in '99 when Vermeil and the Rams won the SB.

so that was a handoff to a guy that was in a lot of ways already prepared to compete in the NFL.

and he had a roster of players suited to his preferred style of play.

here it took a whole year just to discover that an entire slate of ex-Gators couldn't play in the NFL because of Spurrier's ego and stubborness in realizing everyone else in the NFL wasn't crazy for letting Wuerffel, Green, Anthony and Doering go :)

Now we are nearing the end of Year 2 and the club isn't merely working out the kinks around respectability, but is in fact 5-9 and just a Giants meltdown away from being the laughingstock of the NFC East.

Just the most unpleasant experience I've ever had at a football stadium. A complete debacle. I can't believe I paid to endure that weather, witness an "effort" like that, and listen to hooting Cowboy fans for 3+ hours. Normally, I don't spend too much time reading the posts here immediately after a loss because the wailing and gnashing of teeth is usually overdone, but in this case, it's fully deserved. I'm so disgusted right now I can't put it in words.

But it's not all on Spurrier. There's a culture of mediocrity about this team that predates both him and Snyder. It settled in like a cloud of noxious gas after Gibbs left and has been strangling the team (and its' fans) ever since. I don't know what it's going to take to break out of it. People who look at the jobs Parcells and Lewis have done this year and say "why not us?" are kidding themselves. If Vince f*cking Lombardi came out of the grave to coach this team, it would take him a few years to change the pernicious attitude that infests Redskin Park now. Might as well stick with Spurrier... he wanted three years, give it to him. He's probably got as good a chance as anybody else, given that he's in charge of a team that just doesn't seem to care about winning.

Positives? Hmmm...I left when it was 20-0....the three dollar coffee was hot... not too much else. Oh yeah, at least all the talk about a QB controversy should be dead and buried.

I dunno Fitz... Marvin Lewis really seems to have done a job of eradicating the culture of LOSING that permeated Cincinnati -- much worse than Washington's consistent mediocrity.

The worst part is that the Redskins and the Cardinals can seriously be spoken of in the same breath now when it comes to loser franchises. We've made the playoffs the same amount of times in the last 10 years, right?

-s

I can't believe I'm hearing this. We wouldn't have any decent players besides the ones we had with Schotty, because noone would want to play with him. Look how well he is doing in San Diego. Give it a rest and lets support Spurrier. He will be successful in the long run.

Today's game was terrible, but if you look at the past 5 games there has been significant improvement over the first 8 games. Even the games we won.

Originally posted by [PAPER] sashae [bAG]

I dunno Fitz... Marvin Lewis really seems to have done a job of eradicating the culture of LOSING that permeated Cincinnati -- much worse than Washington's consistent mediocrity.

That's the problem, sashae. A culture of losing would be easier to change. This team just twists in the wind year after year, just good enough to give people hope, but never paying off. Maybe the Redskins have to hit rock bottom for an extended period. If so, today's putrid pile of **** would be a good place to start. Like Trevor Matich said on Redskins Extra, there's only two ways for the team to go after this, up or sideways. :puke:

We should have kept Marty and traded for Drew Bledsoe we wold have been in the playoffs last year and Stephen Davis would have led the league in rushing last year. Spurrier is learning on the job and is in over his head he needs a couple of veteran assistants that can help him or we wont be in the playoffs again until 2010.

Originally posted by Fitzman

But it's not all on Spurrier. There's a culture of mediocrity about this team that predates both him and Snyder. It settled in like a cloud of noxious gas after Gibbs left and has been strangling the team (and its' fans) ever since. I don't know what it's going to take to break out of it. People who look at the jobs Parcells and Lewis have done this year and say "why not us?" are kidding themselves. If Vince f*cking Lombardi came out of the grave to coach this team, it would take him a few years to change the pernicious attitude that infests Redskin Park now. Might as well stick with Spurrier... he wanted three years, give it to him. He's probably got as good a chance as anybody else, given that he's in charge of a team that just doesn't seem to care about winning.

Man, I totally agree. You basically wrote everything I was feeling after that game. We need a supreme motivator, someone who could be a possible legend to football, to come in here and turn this organization around. :(

I said it then and I'll say it now. Norv was a barely above average coach, and that after firing him there was at least a 50% chance of getting someone worse in there. The early results indicate that Spurrier is in that 50% percent that is worse than Norv. Marty wasnt around long enough to tell, but that was something winning 8 of 11 with "slingin" Tony Banks taking the snaps.

As I said elsewhere, I love the folks who think Steve "deserves" a third year before being judged, after so many folks didn't think Marty (the #12 winningest coach in NFL History) "deserved" a second.

OTOH, to all the folks asking what Marty could do with this tallent, let's point out that Marty might well not have this tallent. (He might've spent draft picks on linemen).

Originally posted by Larry

As I said elsewhere, I love the folks who think Steve "deserves" a third year before being judged, after so many folks didn't think Marty (the #12 winningest coach in NFL History) "deserved" a second.

That's how I feel. People want to criticize Marty, but his biggest losses were when George was running the O. After the last game where we finished 8-8 I felt pretty good and like others said I was foreseeing us picking up Bledsoe and making some noise in 2002.:doh:

Archived