Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier has got to go!!

eyeball

Johnson had the benefit of Troy Aikman, Emmitt and Michael Irvin and the most lopsided trade in memory. This front office has not a clue. We've overspent on defense and underspent on offense. We're paying Big Daddy millions next year for not even playing this year.

Spurrier has one skill player to win in this system: Coles. Frankly a big tough receiver like Irwin would be much more effective than Coles is with Hasselbeck in there.

I've tried to stay positive, but this is ridiculous.

Spurrier, take your pass, pass, pass (no matter rain or sleet or snow) and get out, out, out of Washington.

P.S. As to who would replace Spurrier, I think the Jets did pretty well by going to that list the league has regarding up-and-coming NFL assistants who deserve head coaching opportunities. I say we consult that same list.

I don't understand why everyone is so big on getting rid of Spurrier. He is new to the NFL. The way I look at it, this is his first year as coach. Last season he inherited Marty Schottenheimer's players. This is the first year he was able to bring in his kind of players. And we still have holes to fill. Give him time. The last thing the Redskins need is more changes. We have had a different DC every year since 1999, a head coach in his first year with his players. Not to mention all the new players: Coles, Canidate, Morton, Thomas, Hall, Bowen, and the majority of our D-line. This is a young team. I can name quite a few key players younger than me: Ramsey, Betts, Cartwright, the entire wide receiver corps except for Patrick Johnson, Bailey, Smoot, Arrington, Ohalete, Samuels. You can't expect a team that young (many players age 26 and under) with such a high turnover rate every year (players and coaching staff) to win instantly. Give it time.

Bang I have a serious prblem blaming fans for being jaded at this point. We haven't been good since the early nineties (excluding our fluke in 99'). This team HAS talent. We shouldn't be getting blanked by the Cowboys. The fact that fan reactoins are not worse than they currently are is shocking to me. A few cheers for the Cowboys sucks to hear....but hopefully its waking somebody in the FO up.

And I am hardly convinced you can compare this team to Vermiel's teams in KC and St. Louis. First off its not fair to compare SS to DV. But secondly, and most important, I don't see SS building anything here. There is no momentum. There is not chemistry. Sure the guys look like they are playing hard....but is that becasue of or despite SS? I'm not sure you can say for sure either way.

We have athletes that have performed at high levels in this league at one time or another. They do not do so for SS. Why is that? After 2 years....or one if you like.....I would hope that things would at least seem that they are heading in the right direction. They don't.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

I suggest you blind Spurrier supporters do what you say and go back and compare Vermiel and Jimmy Johnsons teams in their first 2 years.

You will see GREAT improvement as the second year went on.

Do you see ANYTHING in Dc that would lead you to believe we are improving?

Open your eyes.

Try looking at the Redskins schedule. It's no cake walk. Our opposing teams' record is .537 winning percentage which is 5th hardest in the league. Give us a soft schedule like Seattle (who everybody thought was good when they started out 7-2) and we would be in the playoffs.

I'm not necessarily comparing Spurrier to Vermiel, per sé.. just illustrating that it takes time even for guys with NFL pedigree.

i mostly just think that yet another regime change at this point would do more harm than good in the long run.

And yeah, fans being jaded is one thing, but this is a weekly event,, FedEx is usually FULL of fans from opposing teams.

You'd never have heard that garbage in RFK no matter how bad the team was.

~Bang

Originally posted by Bang

I'm not necessarily comparing Spurrier to Vermiel, per sé.. just illustrating that it takes time even for guys with NFL pedigree.

i mostly just think that yet another regime change at this point would do more harm than good in the long run.

~Bang

Since you feel that way, please tell me what you see in Spurrier that could lead you to believe that keeping him is a good thing? I can't see a damn thing that makes me say, "he'll get it turned around".

We have talent??

Where?

Trotter still doesnt stay at home our defensive coordinatoor subs so much that there isnt momentum to build upon we blitz whe we should play a base we have no one on the D line of consequence.

D Mac is doubled or triple teamed as well as coles cause the TE is guaranteed to flub

The QB of the future is a second year guy that is still learning the system the backup of choice was cut by Snyder and we lay our hopes on a kid off of the streets with no training camp with a limited playbook that the greatest active coach obviously gameplanned for.

Bad weather kid has a noodle arm and face facts the pokes defense matches up well when you cant stretch the offense.

Its the players period

Originally posted by ummagumma

I don't know if he HAS to go. But he has to coach smarter.

Passing: 27 plays for 59 Yds

Rushing: 26 plays for 106 Yards

Amen! However, I just wonder if he'll ever wise up.

Ah, f*ck it. Bring 'em all back next year. Then once they muck it up again (which they most certainly will), Spurrier will fire himself and we'll be done with this particular trip down Futility Lane.

Originally posted by Bang

Frankly, if you want to point the finger in a SERIOUs place to blame... listen to 'our crowd' in 'our stadium" cheering their asses off for the Cowboys.

If I were a player, I'd feel pretty lousy about playing here, too.

F-ing disgusting, it is.

~Bang

Bang...I love ya brother...but you are WAY off base on this one.

The fans have generally been raucous, loud, awesome this year. The Redskins have repaid them in the traditional manner. By losing games, many of which they could have won.

I support your assertion that its not necessarily Spurrier who's solely to blame here. A lot of it is just unrealistic expectations. However, the fans have had the glory years and enthusiasm absolutely beaten out of them. Only those within 90 miles of DC who've attended every game and screamed themselves hoarse can tar and feather their fellow fans during this kind of season.

Just my opinion.

Personally, at this point, I feel like I ought to get credit just for watching the whole messy thing. Not to mention capturing it on dvd for posterity. Yikes. :rolleyes:

Navy I refuse to believe that this team is void of talent. We SHOULD be able to build a solid offensive line around guys like Thomas, Jansen, and Samuels. For some reason we can't seem to be able to do that. Do you really believe our wide receiver's aren't talented? I'm as down on Gardner as the next guy but I don't believe that he is no inept that he can't produce alongside Coles and McCants. The man has talent. Why can't it be harnessed? What about our LB's? Don't they have talent? Can't you see it? How about our corners? Do they suck? The point is is that its not just the players.....

You have to expect your coaches to make the most out of the talent on the roster. SS doesn't seem to be able to do that. Players dont seem to get better under his watch (outside of quarterbacks anyway). Shouldn't SS and Edwards be judged on that basis? I have seen guys like Trotter out of position as well. Why can't he be taught to stay home? Trotter was a pro bowler in Philly. Is there any reason he can't be here? Jansen and Samuels were pro bowl caliber tackles before SS was here. Why aren't they anymore? Oh ya I forgot, its all the players fault.

SOS is incapable of designing game plans that play to his players strengths and cover up for their weaknesses. He also doesn't seem to understand the whole concept of matchups in the NFL. Due to the salary cap, all teams in the NFL have weak points and real NFL coaches make game plans to exploit them. SOS hasn't demonstrated that he understands this.

Talent's definition on this board equates to super saiyan status.

Gardner is ok not great Cole is outstanding and I love D mac but when the guys are doubled and triple covered because there is no respect or fear about the TE making plays and the QB who looked decent in practice while throwin with gloves tried to go macho without them makes you take a second glance.

Jenna jameson and obsession are orators :rolleyes: but if they bites you during each encounter do you say well they are talented and not criticize their performance

Talent is a nice word but when you dont execute does it matter if you are talented.

I think some of you are giving Parcells too much credit. The man is the best MOTIVATOR in the league. Play calling? Not. He's good, but not great. What he excells at is getting every ounce of talent and effort out of his players. Oh and that number 1 defense? The Eagles shredded it for over 400 yards last Sunday. How can that defense be that "great" when the likes of Todd Stinkston drops four easy catches to go with the other three and they still put up over 400 yards? I think at some point Andy Reid will have to earn some respect for doing what he does year after year. Bottom line, no bowl, no respect.

Please remember Parcells was one "wide right" away from being considered a good coach, NOT a great one!

Talent is a nice word but when you dont execute does it matter if you are talented.

And that is largely my point. It would be nice if our coach could teach our players to execute. Cant we expect our coach to make our players better?

This team under SS shows no sign of improvement. Do we not improve because our players are incapable of doing so or because they don't want to? I find either of those scenarios hard to believe. Even if you don't want to admit that this team has some talent you must at least believe that the players want to get better.

Possibly SS has not had enough time to turn this thing around. If that is the case I would at least like to see sign of a turn around. And I don't think a complete overhall of personell is necessary to do that.

I've been a big Spurrier supporter throughout the two year tenure. I have always said that we should give him three years, as he has said all along that if it doesn't work after three years, then he would resign...and I've always agreed that we should give him his three, and follow the "3-year plan" that is for some reason status-quo in the NFL. After the performace of the Redskins this week, I'm not so sure. Ramsey or no Ramsey...Snyder or no Snyder...whatever. He seems disinterested, and there is no formality to the gameplan whatsoever. It works for awhile, then he goes away from that. I'm not sure about Steve-O...I'd like to see him do well, but is anything really going to change?

This front office brought in the only players who are playing well this year. Coles, Hall, Thomas.

Snyder haters are the biggest effin morons on earth. You're worse than Poke fans.

Too bad he won't pay as much attention to bringing in a front office, to include a GM, some scouts, and someone who can run a draft.

Originally posted by Sarge

Too bad he won't pay as much attention to bringing in a front office, to include a GM, some scouts, and someone who can run a draft.

Who brought in Arrington, Samuels, Champ, Betts...I think those were brought in during Danny's tenure...I"m not saying Snyder is the best owner in the world by a long shot, but he has brought in players during the draft (sans Taylor Jacobs as thus far).

Now, a front office is another story...Vinny...SEE YA!!!

This front office brought in the only players who are playing well this year. Coles, Hall, Thomas.

Snyder haters are the biggest effin morons on earth. You're worse than Poke fans.

Our front office also brought in the likes of Regan Upshaw, Rob Johnson, Taylor Jacobs. The credit goes both ways.

Archived