Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier has got to go!!

eyeball

I've been a Spurrier supporter, but this game was inexcusable.

It's the first quarter. You're down by ONE touchdown. The weather is howiling winds and freezing rain. Your defense is holding up, and the other team can't catch the football.

So, you're running well, keeping the game close. You know your quarterback, despite his smarts and gumption, has a weak arm and barely knows the system. You just pitched it upfield and got a clear warning sign: The ball floated too long and it was picked off. Luckily, a penalty flag gets you the ball back.

Do you:

A) Continue to lean on your runniing backs and keep the game close ... especially as that strategy worked wonders in similar conditions last week ....

or

B) Continue to call passing plays and throw interceptions, when it's painfully obvious that the mixture of weather and your quarterback's ability aren't going to get you more than a 5-yard slant if you're lucky?

We all know the answer to this. If our $5 million dollar coach doesn't get it, DESPITE HIS EXPERIENCE IN THE GIANTS GAME, then ... he just doesn't get it.

I have no faith at this point that Steve Spurrier is going to succeed here, simply because he refuses to recognize the obvious, even when it's hit him in the face.

Originally posted by xanathos19

Who brought in Arrington, Samuels, Champ, Betts...I think those were brought in during Danny's tenure...I"m not saying Snyder is the best owner in the world by a long shot, but he has brought in players during the draft (sans Taylor Jacobs as thus far).

Now, a front office is another story...Vinny...SEE YA!!!

Any moron can look in Athlons and make those picks. kiper could have made those picks.

Of course all of the SOS defenders will say that Steve didn't throw the pics or cough up the fumbles, but the truth is that just like in most of our losses, he gave up on a running game that was working. Like Riggo Drill pointed out so well, after some tough stops from the defense, we were started to build some real momentum with Rock running the ball. We finally get a first down, and Steve throws it. It's raining sideways, we've got a highly inexperienced qb, our running game is working, and we're throwing on first. Even Goose was like WTF? You could feel the momentum die on that first down play, and shortly after that Dallas had the ball and was scoring. From there on out the defense couldn't make a stop, and we were to far down to be able to run it - game over.

Even though the score was so lopsided, this was another game we could have won if Spurrier knew what the hell he was doing. We were only down 7 and Rock was taking over. The way you beat that type of speed defense is to run it right at them, and Rock has the perfect kind of running style, low and hard, for those type of conditions.

At this point, I'm getting numb to it all, especially since I know that SOS will be back for more pitchin and catchin next year. We may do somewhat better next year with the OBC, but as long as pitchin it is more important than winning, the SB is a pipedream. :puke:

I have no expectations for a year 3 of Steve Stuperior. DAnny Boy will go on another free agent spending spree. We'll all pound our chests and marvel at our new players. We will say, this is the year. The team will even fool us and start out 3-1 or 4-2. Then it will collasp again.

AS for rebuilding, I don't believe you have too. The right coach can get these sorry bunch of losers to win. Can't happen in one year? I give you the Cincinnati Bengals and Dallas Cowboys as examples. If it the players, then maybe we should rebuild. Gut the team of those lousy players and start over with new players. Then by maybe 2006; we may win.

I'll say it's still 50-50 Steve comes back. I don't see him fired, but Steve may chuck it out.

Originally posted by Rdskns2000

I'll say it's still 50-50 Steve comes back. I don't see him fired, but Steve may chuck it out.

Steve quitting would be the best possible thing that could happen IMO, but what makes you think that SOS will walk away from 5 million?

Archived