Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier's System

Thinking Skins

As I was driving into school this morning, I was thinking about our QB's over the past two years. I think its kinda interesting how the QB's who've known Spurrier's system are the same ones who've struggled. Meanwhile, the ones who don't yet know the in's and out's of the system are the ones who make it look great. I'm still forming my opinion on this system, but I don't think thats much of a positive for it.

make no mistake about it, the Redskins have changed their offense.

quick passes. backs and tight ends staying in to block. more rushing attempts.

when Ramsey went down with his injury and Hasselbeck came in, it seemed to spark the kind of re-evaluation of the offense and how the team was going about attacking defenses that needed to happen WEEKS before :)

but it happened, and let's be grateful it happened at all :D

we could have gone through the full 16 games without making any changes and ended up 3-13 with little hope and playing out the string.

That's not really true Blakman.

Wuerffel didn't really struggle in the system when he actually got to play. His time was limited, but he did pretty well. Matthews had 10 years of WCO teaching and couldn't overcome those principles to get back into the Fun and Gun mindset.

There IS something to the fact that Ramsey began to struggle and appeared to think too much rather than just playing as his knowledge kept getting greater. There's a wall one gets to before its really second nature that perhaps Ramsey hit. Hasselbeck doesn't have the same duties and knowledge and is just running things how Spurrier's telling him for the most part which is an advantage because it removes the thought process a great deal.

Just drop, plant and throw. Ramsey will, with hope, be at the point next year where its really second nature to him and that's when the offense will achieve whatever level of success possible.

I am not sure I agree the system is "doable". I have seem nothing in the past 2 years that really shows the system works (though it does seem to get QB's killed). Until it is successful we will never know if it can work. I don't know if it is the system or the coach himself but, damn, this team is never ready to play. Almost seems like it is time to flush the whole thing and rebuild. Spurrier just does not seem up to coaching in the NFL (whether or not the fun and gun works).

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

I have actually "seen" the system work. As Art likes to say WR's are open. Today Tim couldn't hit the side of a barn. Last year in Dallas I thought the same thing, the recievers are open but DW aint gonna hit em. And PR out thinks himself. It can work.

I'm not sure that a system that involevs no gameplanning agains the opponent can work at all..

never have I seen such a joke at schemes and playcalling in my entire life as a football fan. Norv was better in only that he had good play design and decent playcalling for the most part.

execution was bad for Norv though..Very bad.

This is insane to watch week in an week out. He has no system at all. drop back and throw the deep ball and if that don't work give up! WTF is that.

Ramsey will, with hope, be at the point next year where its really second nature to him and that's when the offense will achieve whatever level of success possible.

I agree with you Art, but Ramsey is unfortunately going to be on a stretcher sooner rather than later with this offensive line. Part of it is his fault because he's a very brave quarterback who lacks mobility. We are never going to see Ramsey reach his full potential at this pace. He's on his way to becomming Kurt Warner without the SB ring.

Spurriers system is really complicated I think. I think what he said about how he has made his playbook smaller than it was at Florida b/c he hasnt been as demanding of the players is the problem. The playbook in the NFL should be much bigger than a college one.

Archived