Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

On 6/10/2024 at 5:32 PM, Riggo#44 said:

I think Herz is ultimately a reliever too, but I like what I’ve seen from him so far. Sykora I am really excited about. I’m waiting for Lile and Lara to push their way into Top 100 lists

Having a guy who could come out of the bullpen and strikeout 13 guys in six innings would be a helluva weapon! 😎

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Having a guy who could come out of the bullpen and strikeout 13 guys in six innings would be a helluva weapon! 😎

That was really impressive! You know what this means?

image.jpeg.425e190b88a5ffe6d3c705ecdcb723ff.jpeg

They dodged a bullet with the potential Winker injury. MRI came back clean. 

I’d imagine they add Harold Ramirez to the 40 and bring him up with Lipscomb going down. He and Rosario will be the platoon.

Great job by Davey, Law, and Garcia to get through the 8th without needing Harvey. 

Three lefty starters age 25 and under: 19 IP, 2R, 27K, 1BB!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the way the schedule is laid out, their next nine games are between two off days. They could push Corbin back so he only pitches 1 game. Then after that set of nine games, you could slot Gray back into the rotation after making two more rehab starts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

People were calling Crews a bust because he three bad games to start the season

They were going to slow roll him under most scenarios. I wouldn't be shocked if he played the rest of this year in AAA. Even with his injury, Wood is expected back this week and would be called up first. 

• Like 1

The Nationals are in a playoff spot atm.

edit they are tied with the Giants and out by a slim margin. that said the fact they're this close is impressive.

Edited by ixcuincle

18 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The Nationals are in a playoff spot atm.

edit they are tied with the Giants and out by a slim margin. that said the fact they're this close is impressive.

There’s a massive logjam of seven teams within a game or three of .500 (all within a game of each other). Nats play a lot of these teams in the next month so we’ll have a better idea of where they stand soon enough. Interestingly, they also play exactly one series against a team over .500 between now and mid July. Not sure whether this team has the bats to separate from the pack but it’s fun watching competitive and meaningful games in the summer nonetheless. 

edit to add: 

I had an interesting thought the other day. Will the Nats be buyers or sellers at the deadline? The idea I had was, why not both? If you have minor league talent ready to displace guys like Winker/Senzel in your lineup, those guys are definitely expendable. Then again, the return might not be worth the disruption if the team is in playoff contention. I could definitely see them trying to add a bullpen piece or two though. *maybe* unnecessary if guys returning to the rotation push Corbin and maybe someone else to the pen. Regardless, this could be a much more interesting team to watch by August. 

Edited by TheGoodBits
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

There’s a massive logjam of seven teams within a game or three of .500 (all within a game of each other). Nats play a lot of these teams in the next month so we’ll have a better idea of where they stand soon enough. Interestingly, they also play exactly one series against a team over .500 between now and mid July. Not sure whether this team has the bats to separate from the pack but it’s fun watching competitive and meaningful games in the summer nonetheless. 

edit to add: 

I had an interesting thought the other day. Will the Nats be buyers or sellers at the deadline? The idea I had was, why not both? If you have minor league talent ready to displace guys like Winker/Senzel in your lineup, those guys are definitely expendable. Then again, the return might not be worth the disruption if the team is in playoff contention. I could definitely see them trying to add a bullpen piece or two though. *maybe* unnecessary if guys returning to the rotation push Corbin and maybe someone else to the pen. Regardless, this could be a much more interesting team to watch by August. 

We could sell Lile and other outfield prospects maybe?

20 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

edit to add: 

The way I look at it is that the pieces that can get them the most value back (Finnegan and Harvey) are the ones they least likely want to trade. I’m not sure the position players we have give you much return to make it worthwhile. I don’t think Rosario stays when Wood gets promoted. So maybe some long shot for him, but he probably gets released.

They are doing everything they can to keep Weems and Rainey. But I don’t think it’s worth it. They aren’t giving you anything now and there will be a handful of internal replacements plus free agency next season.

With so much OF talent in the system, I wouldn’t have a problem with them parting with someone like Pickney, De La Rosa, McKenzie to get a reliable bullpen arm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGoodBits said:

I think they sell the pieces that are likely to get replaced in the near future anyways.  James Wood has to come up and play every day.  Dylan Crews looks like he'll be ready sooner rather than later.  They have a bunch of young arms.  So sell the older guys and the guys with short term contracts that aren't going to be long-term pieces, and get whatever you can.

Personally, I think the Nats should make the moves that maximize the benefit them over the next 3 years rather than try to make a playoff push this year.  

56 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think they sell the pieces that are likely to get replaced in the near future anyways.  James Wood has to come up and play every day.  Dylan Crews looks like he'll be ready sooner rather than later.  They have a bunch of young arms.  So sell the older guys and the guys with short term contracts that aren't going to be long-term pieces, and get whatever you can.

Personally, I think the Nats should make the moves that maximize the benefit them over the next 3 years rather than try to make a playoff push this year.  

Rizzo has always preferred trading for relievers with several years left of team control. If we’re open to trading decent prospects, that’s the kind of guy they’d be targeting. Not sure the team is *quite* there yet, but worth considering depending on how the next month or so goes.