Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Explains a lot. Getting healthy Cronin and Bryzkcy back next year could be a boon to the bullpen.

Not figuring this out sooner is…concerning. He hasn’t pitched since mid May and has had pain for two years?

Not sure if they need to open a 40 man spot this season. 

Rainey should be back, so maybe that triggers it, but I think dropping Harris is the better play.

37 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Wow...who is coming up? Baker? Rutherford?

I definitely want to see Rutherford and Garrett straight platoon in LF.

The Garcia move, wow. I have to imagine something is going on behind the scenes there. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if the move isn’t Jeter Downs as he’s already on the 40. But Baker is the likely move.

EDIT: maybe Keiboom? He started a rehab assignment last night (but only had 1 PA). Perhaps he plays tonight and tomorrow and joins them in Cincinnati.

EDIT2 - it’s Downs.

Edited by Ball Security

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Something interesting about Downs: 14% walk rate, 25.8% K rate in a small, 136 PA sample size at AAA.

3 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Jeter Downs doesn't move the needle much with his bat. Maybe his defense is out of this world? Surprised Darren Baker wasn't given a shot.

Still surprised Garcia was sent down, I know he's struggling but still. This org seems to love his potential.

Looking at these moves separately…

I absolutely love the Rutherford move. See if we have something there. If so, you can be strategic with Woods and Hassell with regards to service time and ROY compensation considerations. He’s earned it. Last year, they waited to late August to dump Franco.

The second move…whew. Something is up with Garcia to get demoted with nobody banging down the door. Hopefully he can get back on track. It’s hard to believe that he’s only 23 as much as he’s been up and down. Maybe Lipscomb gets a serious look at 2B.

There will be more changes to the roster. Rainey and Edwards are close to being back. There will need to be a 40 man move for Rainey. Currently, they have nine relievers. But Williams should be back soon and another will have to go. My guess is La Sorsa as they now have three lefties. But Rainey, Edwards, and Harvey will be back as they are trying to look at others. Perhaps they drop Edwards like they did Dickerson.

The simultaneous promotions to me signal part of the strategy. Both Downs and Rutherford were former high draft pick reclamation projects. Rutherford looks like he’s earned a shot but with Downs I guess the Nats just want to see what they’ve got before they clear space on the 40 man this offseason. 

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

Uggh. I was hoping he’d be in Fburg tonight. They are on the road next week, but then have a home stand the following week. 

Pickney and Morales are hitting there. I’m 

I'm hoping to get down there when he gets moved up.

3 hours ago, TheGoodBits said:

The simultaneous promotions to me signal part of the strategy. Both Downs and Rutherford were former high draft pick reclamation projects. Rutherford looks like he’s earned a shot but with Downs I guess the Nats just want to see what they’ve got before they clear space on the 40 man this offseason. 

I could see them using this time to get a longer look at Chavis as an everyday player. Along with Downs, they are evaluating his 40 man spot as well. 

They need to get more thump in the lineup. Not sure how they go about doing that if they keep Dom and Meneses at 1B/DH.

3 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Yeesss. He's been better the past week or two, might actually be out of that slump.

That K rate is still astronomical and very worrisome: 31.7% at AA. When he makes contact it goes far, but I cannot help but be really concerned he's going to be Joey Gallo.

• Like 1

Dylan Crews is set to make his FredNats debut THIS SATURDAY!

Get your seats NOW before they're gone at frednats.com/tickets.

The Nationals' first round pick, and the second overall selection in this year's draft, is set to take the field for the FredNats on Saturday night.
Gates will open at 5pm, with first pitch at 6:05pm. Saturday is Superman Night, with the team wearing custom jerseys.

Don't miss your chance to see Crews' debut!