Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

35 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Big frame. Potential move to first base? Some prospects (House, Alu) already at 3b showing potential.

Alu should play 3B everyday once Candelario is traded. But he’s not going to block anybody, IMO. 

House at 3B and Morales at 1B is the happy outcome.

Abrams 6

Crews 8

House 5

Wood 9

Garcia 4

Morales 3

Ruiz 2

Hassell 7

With Vaquero, Lile, Green, Alu, Lipscomb, Adams, White, Pineda, Millas pushing them. 

Get a power bat to slot into DH and that could be a decent lineup.

For fun, take a look at their top 30 prospects in 2021 and compare it today.

• Like 1

https://www.mlb.com/news/dylan-crews-drafted-no-2-by-nationals-in-2023-mlb-draft?partnerID=mlbapp-android_article-share

Crews, who was born in Altamonte Springs, Fla., has not yet been to Washington, D.C., but he is very familiar with Nationals baseball -- former Nats outfielder Bryce Harper was his favorite player growing up.

“He’s just a complete player,” said Crews. “He’s out hitting homers left and right, and he can play an impact game in the outfield. He just has that ability to impact both sides of the baseball, and I’m going to work hard to be like Bryce Harper."

I'd bet my life we take a pitcher at 71. Lots of good arms there. Id like to see Travis Sykora, Cam Johnson, or Hunter Owen. Owen is probably the easiest sign, but has health risks.

I would also bet my life the round 4 and/or 5 picks are senior signs. Especially if we take a high schooler at 71.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Morales is ranked anywhere from #13-#32. Seems divided on how well they think Morales can fix his swing.

Welp, that makes several guys the organization has gone for with a swing issue. Does this mean they're confident they can develop these players or are they just rolling the dice?

I watched the ESPN coverage last night. They made a comment about his chase rate of pitches outside of the strike zone being high. One of the Miami coaches told them that he was trying to do too much to pick up his teammates. 

You don’t let someone with that talent makeup slip if he’s sitting there at 40. It’s a gift.

This isn’t my original thought, I read it online, but the Crews pick takes a ton of pressure off Green. With two top 10-ish prospects in the OF, they don’t have to be concerned with trying to rush him.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'd bet my life we take a pitcher at 71. Lots of good arms there. Id like to see Travis Sykora, Cam Johnson, or Hunter Owen. Owen is probably the easiest sign, but has health risks.

I would also bet my life the round 4 and/or 5 picks are senior signs. Especially if we take a high schooler at 71.

Tanner Witt from Texas is another arm to keep an eye on.

I felt that Miami had a good night last night, but I couldn’t be more thrilled with what Washington did.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Something to consider Re: pitching ... we have a pretty low payroll going forward especially in 2024-2025 with Corbin and Strasburg coming off the books. I wouldn't be surprised if we got aggressive in FA on some high-end starting pitching in that range of time which would be well-timed with our top hitting prospects starting to hit the majors.

13 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Woh! We double dipped on hitters! And wait...our 3B overload continues! If even two of these guys gets hot soon, somebody is moving to 1st base in 2024.

Wonder if this means we get aggressive in FA in for pitchers? Cause the pipeline is lacking.

We’ll see what the pipeline looks like after the trade deadline.

It would be nice to add a guy to Gore, Gray, and Cavalli.

Rutledge and Irvin are better suited for fifth man or bullpen. 

Bennett and Susana have great potential. 

Lara, Parker, Saenz, Adon are guys who may end up making starts, but I have trouble seeing them as rotational mainstays.

Henry is a total wildcard.

With Crews in the fold, I think the likelihood of Thomas moving increases.

Thomas, Harvey, Candelario, Corbin, Edwards, Finnegan May end up bringing someone back that could be a rotation piece.

14 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Tanner Witt from Texas is another arm to keep an eye on.

I felt that Miami had a good night last night, but I couldn’t be more thrilled with what Washington did.

Their approach feels WAY different than a few years ago when they took Sammy Infante in the 2nd round, when he appeared on no one's top 150 lists, if I recall correctly.

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Thomas, Harvey, Candelario, Corbin, Edwards, Finnegan May end up bringing someone back that could be a rotation piece.

I am partial to keeping Harvey, unless we get a top prospect for him. But I won't pitch a fit if he does get traded.

Small word of caution: hitting .400 in college, even being the consensus best hitter in college baseball, is not a guarantee of pro success. This dude was drafted #2 overall behind Strasburg and was a career .245 hitter: 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/ackledu01.shtml

Not that I think Crews or Morales will necessarily end up that way, just that it’s worth remembering that their development is not done yet and they may not be immediate additions to the MLB roster. 

6 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Sykora, it is. Glad you didn’t have to pay up on that bet! 🤣

If we can sign these guys, we are looking at a top 15 of:

Wood OF

Crews OF 

House 3B

Cavalli RHP

Hassell OF

Morales 3B-1B

Vaquero OF

Green OF

Bennett LHP

Susana RHP