Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

ESPN mock draft claims Crews might try to force himself past Pittsburgh. 

Having trouble pasting the link and the text from my phone but a notable sentence: “I’ve been hearing since February that the Pirates have been aggressively looking into the non-Crews options, even after it became clear he was the consensus best prospect.” 

He notes that the Nats have Crews 1 Skenes 2 on their board, but the mock has Skenes going 1 and Nats taking Crews. 

3 hours ago, TheGoodBits said:

ESPN mock draft claims Crews might try to force himself past Pittsburgh. 

Having trouble pasting the link and the text from my phone but a notable sentence: “I’ve been hearing since February that the Pirates have been aggressively looking into the non-Crews options, even after it became clear he was the consensus best prospect.” 

He notes that the Nats have Crews 1 Skenes 2 on their board, but the mock has Skenes going 1 and Nats taking Crews. 

It’ll be really interesting to see what happens if Pittsburgh takes Langford or a HS bat.

In other news, Amos Willingham is getting called up. Not sure who is going down - maybe Espino.

• Like 1

Crews and Skenes are so good I don't have a problem with it, but with how hyped they are and how much money they'll want. The rest of our draft picks will have to be below slot right?

Pittsburgh owners are a bit notorious so it wouldn't surprise me prospects don't want to go there. But how much power do they actually have?

9 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I want to get Skenes, but damn, watching Abrams, Wood, and Crews racing around the bases would be very fun to watch.

The thing with Skenes that will be interesting is how much better he makes us, like, immediately. Nats got a tough break with Cavalli having TJS this year but Gore-Skenes-Gray seems like a pretty legit 1-3 by September and going into next season. 

• Like 1

Skenes or Crews, Crews or Skenes...

We literally cannot go wrong. I am really looking forward to next Sunday.

A Skenes-Gore-Cavalli-Gray rotation with Rutledge, Bennett, and Susana making pushes as well is really intriguing.

An outfield of Crews, Wood and Hassell/Vaquero/Green is fun to think about too.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Skenes or Crews, Crews or Skenes...

We literally cannot go wrong. I am really looking forward to next Sunday.

A Skenes-Gore-Cavalli-Gray rotation with Rutledge, Bennett, and Susana making pushes as well is really intriguing.

An outfield of Crews, Wood and Hassell/Vaquero/Green is fun to think about too.

The question is who do you take if Pittsburgh goes with a HS bat or Langford at 1. I’m leaning Skenes, but I can definitely see the case for Crews.

You don’t draft for need in MLB, but with all of the controllable OFers in the system, the risk of taking a pitcher is hedged.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think Crews is the better-rated prospect, and safer. But we'll see.

Pitchers always seem to have an element of risk.  Though Skenes seems built for the long haul.  He's got a pretty compact motion for such a big guy.

5 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Pitchers always seem to have an element of risk.  Though Skenes seems built for the long haul.  He's got a pretty compact motion for such a big guy.

Yeah, if he's Strasburg with health? That's a Hall of Fame pitcher.

• Like 1

Worth remembering that the Nats historically have preferred buying pitchers and drafting hitters. Though that’s certainly caught up with them now with being stuck with Strasburg’s contract and deferrals, Scherzer’s deferrals, and Corbin’s contract. 

3 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

Worth remembering that the Nats historically have preferred buying pitchers and drafting hitters. Though that’s certainly caught up with them now with being stuck with Strasburg’s contract and deferrals, Scherzer’s deferrals, and Corbin’s contract. 

You forgot the albatross around our necks. Ownership is still a giant issue with this team. We're not signing big money pitchers until this is resolved.

2 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

You forgot the albatross around our necks. Ownership is still a giant issue with this team. We're not signing big money pitchers until this is resolved.

I was more speaking to Rizzo’s historic preference. Of course we do a decently long list of drafted pitchers so it’s certainly not an all or nothing proposition. 

Personally I think I’d prefer Skenes but if we ended up Crews we would be in a great spot with talent. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I base it on intuition. I think if a sale was imminent a la commanders it wouldn't be an issue. Lord knows I'm wrong all the time. 

We shall see what happens, but Lerner came out and said they're keeping the team and are "committed to winning." I'd imagine they'll run it the same way they did from 08 on.

I'm curious to see if they retain Rizzo or not. His contract is up after this year and there has been no word on anything. Previously, they've completed his extensions it around this time of year. I also think Davey's future entirely depends on Rizzo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We shall see what happens, but Lerner came out and said they're keeping the team and are "committed to winning." I'd imagine they'll run it the same way they did from 08 on.

I'm curious to see if they retain Rizzo or not. His contract is up after this year and there has been no word on anything. Previously, they've completed his extensions it around this time of year. I also think Davey's future entirely depends on Rizzo.

Not bringing back Rizzo would be a poor move, imo. I’d let him make a decision on Martinez, but personally, I’d look to commit to a new voice for the next few years.

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Not bringing back Rizzo would be a poor move, imo. I’d let him make a decision on Martinez, but personally, I’d look to commit to a new voice for the next few years.

I get the feeling Martinez wants to move on. I don't think he'd quit but I think both parties need something new. I agree with you on Rizzo. Let him cook.