Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

2 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

I'm damn sure he's still a St. Louis fan at heart.

Ehh, maybe several years ago but I think he's full on Nat now. He's been with us for way too long and he's got a World Series ring(I assume they give em to the local commentators). He's just lame and dorky. 

Just now, @DCGoldPants said:

Quite a little comeback. 

Miss when Rizzo had around a top 10 payroll. 

We need some saudi oil prince to buy the team. No salary cap. Lets become the Manchester City of MLB "lolol"

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Harvey is better!! Pumping 100? Let's go!!

This team is gritty and/or gutty. Davey needs some credit for keeping this team focused and playing hard. 

Never understood the Davey hate. Nobody can turn water into wine. His managing in the 2019 World Series won us a ring. And the guys always play hard. Lets develop some talent for him.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Never understood the Davey hate. Nobody can turn water into wine. His managing in the 2019 World Series won us a ring. And the guys always play hard. Lets develop some talent for him.

There’s a big gap between hating someone and not believing they are the best person for the job.

Martinez inherited a 97 win team and won only 82 games in 2018 with Harper, Rendon, Turner, Soto. Scherzer, Roark, and Gonzalez. After the World Series they were on pace to win 70 games. They were so bad in 2021 with Soto, Schwarber, Turner, and Scherzer that they had to blow it up. Last year they were the worst team in baseball. 

In the World Series year, it took them a half season to get two games over .500.  (They were also 14-20 to start the season, so maybe we win 93 this season).  

He was great for a little over a half season and a playoff run in 2019. And has been mediocre to pretty bad in the other 3.5 seasons.

If Trent Grisham doesn’t misplay Soto’s single how much time does Martinez get?

His contract is up at the end of the year. For those who want to bring him back, how long of a contract are you offering him?

14 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Martinez inherited a 97 win team and won only 82 games in 2018 with Harper, Rendon, Turner, Soto. Scherzer, Roark, and Gonzalez. After the World Series they were on pace to win 70 games. They were so bad in 2021 with Soto, Schwarber, Turner, and Scherzer that they had to blow it up. Last year they were the worst team in baseball. 

Just rattling off names concerning past seasons is really myopic. in 2018, Harper was mailing it in for his contract, Roark and Gio regressed badly (both had mid-4 ERAs), Murphy got hurt and Wilmer Difo had a 71 OPS+, MAT regressed from his career 2017, and had a 69 OPS+. Turner was a league average bat (100 OPS+). Ryan Madson cratered.

2021 all they had was Soto, Schwarber, Turner, and Scherzer (and Bell). They were tissue paper thin and couldn't withstand the injuries--they were kind of like the Angels. Their pitching outside Scherzer was just bad and lacked talent, and we had nothing in the farm system. That's more on Rizzo and the FO than Martinez.

I've been on record as being fine with Martinez--I think he does his job well enough. Holding the room together through losing seasons is no easy task. People have forgotten the "anonymous leaks" and "bad clubhouse" rumors and criticisms from years past. They were persistent--they don't happen anymore. And this team is playing above their talent level and improving. That's not something we should just dismiss.

He makes highly questionable bullpen decisions, but so does every manager in baseball. People simply focus on the bullpen like that's all a manager does. IMO, he's a better in game manager than Dusty Baker. While we can critique his bullpen choices, he is doing a fantastic job not overworking Gray or Gore. If I had to choose, grind Kyle Finnegan, Carl Edwards, and basically every BP arm not named Hunter Harvey into dust if it preserves Gore and Gray.

He's not a difference maker, but very, very few managers in the history of baseball are "difference makers." It's not like the NFL where if you get a genius coordinator or coach, it can completely change the fabric of the team. If they moved on from him, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If they gave him another 2-3 years, I'd be just fine with it as well.

• Like 2

A great night for Jake Irvin. 

This ump was really bad, but they took advantage of his high strike zone.

Garcia with another multi hit night. He’s on fire.

After pitching three games in a row, having two days off, then earning his first save, it’s nice that Harvey can get a night off with a comfortable five run lead. Nope. Davey gets Harvey warmed up in the 8th with a five run lead.

Jake Irvin had looked really good, and that ump last night was horrible. Irvin definitely tooks advantage.

We were hitting balls hard all night. Nice win! Since starting the season 1-6, the Nats have gone 14-14. Not bad, not bad at all.

bet against the nationals yesterday thinking they'd regress but this rookie they called up from AAA is pretty decent so far. He had a rough 1st inning which I personally scouted in person but other than that he has looked very solid. Dominated again today.

With him, Gray and Gore all in form Nats rotation could be pretty decent.

I also have very high expectations for this year and they are middling which is fine by me. They were never the putrid team that got blown out 16-1

I think we now lead the league in defensive double plays. I'm not sure if our pitchers are just better at inducing grounders or our infielders are playing well or what.

Irvin didn't look this good in the minors right? Anything changed, or just small sample? Regardless, having him pitch well over Chad Kuhl who was regrettably awful is a big bonus for the team. Kuhl was an instant Loss.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I think we now lead the league in defensive double plays. I'm not sure if our pitchers are just better at inducing grounders or our infielders are playing well or what.

Irvin didn't look this good in the minors right? Anything changed, or just small sample? Regardless, having him pitch well over Chad Kuhl who was regrettably awful is a big bonus for the team. Kuhl was an instant Loss.

Yeah, they said we were tied with Baltimore in DPs turned then Edwards induced one in the 8th. Dom Smith bailed out Abrams at least once.  We need more power in the lineup and aren’t getting much combined in the 1B/DH/COF spots, but I’ll take Smith’s glove work at 1B. It really helps out the pitching which should be one of the top goals this season. He also leads the active players in OBP.

Irvin was turning heads last year and in ST. There was a question if he had an MLB level third pitch that could get him through the lineup multiple times.  He’s been a nice bonus these two starts.