Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

24 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

No the stupid they let Harper go to pay Rendon to pay whoever. It's tired and factually inaccurate.

Dude, I'm not the one that's been shilling for the Lerners every time Nats lost (include latest big bat lost).  But Saint Lerners can do no wrong.  Good for you.

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Dude, I'm not the one that's been shilling for the Lerners every time Nats lost (include latest big bat lost).  But Saint Lerners can do no wrong.  Good for you.

Yeah the brought was a World Series, but so what?! 

Now we’re going to be good with all the distractions gone :)

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

In what world is this the Lerners fault when they’ve said since the beginning that Soto is going to free agency no matter what. At least we completely fixed our farm before he goes to free agency 

• Thanks 1

Truthfully for years whenever we tuned in to a game we saw how Soto stacked up against all time greats. Not current greats, but legends in the game. And at least for me I never knew about him as a great up and coming prospect down on the farm. He just showed up one day. And not only a great player that came through in some big times during the best season but also a seemingly good guy.  And now... gone, just like that.  Thinking of the players I have heard all about as a prospect during that time? Robles and Kieboom.  

So yeah, it sucks they have the worst record in baseball. But at least we had our guy Juan. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Truthfully for years whenever we tuned in to a game we saw how Soto stacked up against all time greats. Not current greats, but legends in the game. And at least for me I never knew about him as a great up and coming prospect down on the farm. He just showed up one day. And not only a great player that came through in some big times during the best season but also a seemingly good guy.  And now... gone, just like that.  Thinking of the players I have heard all about as a prospect during that time? Robles and Kieboom.  

So yeah, it sucks they have the worst record in baseball. But at least we had our guy Juan. 

So based on what you just wrote, how do you know another great player isn't in the haul we got?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Now we’re going to be good with all the distractions gone :)

In what world is this the Lerners fault when they’ve said since the beginning that Soto is going to free agency no matter what. At least we completely fixed our farm before he goes to free agency 

It's not just about Soto, it's about losing all of their top four bats since Harper.  And who said Soto is going to FA no matter what?  

As I said before, if they offered at least market value extension to Soto and he declines (although as someone pointed out, even a market value extension may not get it done due to the looming ownership issue), trading him is the best option.   But 15/440 is not a market deal.  Harper offer with something like 80 mil deferred was not a market offer.  I recall Rendon's pre2019 extension talk where Rendon said he's not doing deferrals.  I don't know if Turner extension negotiations ever got leaked that much detail.  

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

So based on what you just wrote, how do you know another great player isn't in the haul we got?

How do you know one is? I guess we'll wait to see the graphics comparing them to Ted Williams and Cy Young.  And then assume they get traded. 

Edited by Redskins Diehard

Just now, Redskins Diehard said:

How do you know one is? I guess we'll wait to see the graphics comparing them to Ted Williams and Cy Young. 

I don't, but the talent they got today is extraordinary. Not everyone will develop, but a couple hopefully will. I posted Keith Law's assessment who said it was a haul like he's never seen. Gammons, who has covered the game since the 1800s I think, said the same thing. That's why I'm optimistic. They have a ton of talent in the minors now. 

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I don't, but the talent they got today is extraordinary. Not everyone will develop, but a couple hopefully will. I posted Keith Law's assessment who said it was a haul like he's never seen. Gammons, who has covered the game since the 1800s I think, said the same thing. That's why I'm optimistic. They have a ton of talent in the minors now. 

I’d take Gammons opinion with a grain of salt.  He didn’t think much of Walter Johnson when he was coming up.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Jesse Dougherty stated it's their long held goal.

Link?  Cause this was Dougherty's reporting just a month ago

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danschlossberg/2022/07/03/signing-juan-soto-before-2024-free-agency-could-pose-financial-issues-for-washington-nationals/

"Everybody wants to go to free agency and see how the market is going to be for them,” Soto told Dougherty.

“But for me, I really don’t know if I want to go there or to stay here. I feel really good here. We’ll see what’s going to happen."

I mean I guess Soto could've straight up lied to Dougherty, although he really has no reason to feint interest at staying in DC if he was absolutely set at going to FA.

5 minutes ago, bearrock said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danschlossberg/2022/07/03/signing-juan-soto-before-2024-free-agency-could-pose-financial-issues-for-washington-nationals/

I mean I guess Soto could've straight up lied to Dougherty, although he really has no reason to feint interest at staying in DC if he was absolutely set at going to FA.

https://fansided.com/2022/02/17/nationals-juan-soto-reveals-turned-down-contract-offer/amp/

“My agents and I think the best option is to go year after year and wait for free agency,” Soto told ESPN on Wednesday. “My agent, Scott Boras, is in control of that situation.”

Edited by Ball Security
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Im convinced we’re winning the WS next year. Trading away superstar RF home run derby champs is our lucky charm the following year

Nope, gotta let them walk in FA for that one.  Another Lerner screw up!  Should've let Soto walk for that glorious 2025 WS run!

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

https://fansided.com/2022/02/17/nationals-juan-soto-reveals-turned-down-contract-offer/amp/

“My agents and I think the best option is to go year after year and wait for free agency,” Soto told ESPN on Wednesday. “My agent, Scott Boras, is in control of that situation.”

Well, for one, the quote to Dougherty is a month ago compared during off-season in your link.  Also, thinking of FA as the best option is a little different than saying that's their goal (which is also far removed from saying that Soto was going to FA no matter what).

15 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Why do you ask questions, get an answer you don't like, and go to "well they could be lying?"

20220802_213859.jpg

That reads to me like the Lerners were making all the effort to sign Soto and Boras wasn't budging.

• Confused 1

Boras typically wants his guys to go to free agency.  That's well known.  It is rare for Boras clients to sign extensions.

23 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You guys got a haul.  I think it'd be a stretch to say there's a ton of talent in your system now since it was pretty barren before today but this is a great haul.  If 2 or 3 of these guys pan out, it helps out a lot, for sure.

From an outsider perspective, it's a fascinating trade.  I still hate to see Soto go but to see what you guys got and if it pans out will be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Nope, gotta let them walk in FA for that one.  Another Lerner screw up!  Should've let Soto walk for that glorious 2025 WS run!

Well, for one, the quote to Dougherty is a month ago compared during off-season in your link.  Also, thinking of FA as the best option is a little different than saying that's their goal (which is also far removed from saying that Soto was going to FA no matter what).

The quote you provided is incomplete.  And, in it, Soto contradicts himself.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danschlossberg/2022/07/03/signing-juan-soto-before-2024-free-agency-could-pose-financial-issues-for-washington-nationals/amp/

Right after your part of the quote: “For me, right now, the plan that we always have is go year by year. But you don’t know what the future has for you.”

Edited by Ball Security
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Im convinced we’re winning the WS next year. Trading away superstar RF home run derby champs is our lucky charm the following year

I can't wait to see Susana and Wood. RHIII sounds like a peak Adam Eaton type, with more power. Abrams kind of gives me Robles vibes, but we will see what happens with him and Gore.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Why do you ask questions, get an answer you don't like, and go to "well they could be lying?"

Is there a reading comprehension issue?  I said I see no reason why Soto would lie to Dougherty in the quote I posted.  How did I accuse someone of lying in response to an answer I didn't like?

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You guys got a haul.  I think it'd be a stretch to say there's a ton of talent in your system now since it was pretty barren before today but this is a great haul. 

We went from 25th to 8th overall, per famgraphs. Most of our talent before today was really, really young: Armando Cruz, Christian Vaquero, Rosimar Quintana, Brady House, Elijah Green. In 2 years, we could be what the O's are now.

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Is there a reading comprehension issue?  I said I see no reason why Soto would lie to Dougherty in the quote I posted.  How did I accuse someone of lying in response to an answer I didn't like?

Do you? I posted an answer to your question and you immediately dismissed it with some half baked, baseless theory.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Boras typically wants his guys to go to free agency.  That's well known.  It is rare for Boras clients to sign extensions.

There a difference between rare and never. Could a market value or above offer enticed Soto to re-sign?  Probably not.  But we'll never know since one was never offered imo.  

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The quote you provided is incomplete.  And, in it, Soto contradicts himself.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danschlossberg/2022/07/03/signing-juan-soto-before-2024-free-agency-could-pose-financial-issues-for-washington-nationals/amp/

Right after your part of the quote: “For me, right now, the plan that we always have is go year by year. But you don’t know what the future has for you.”

I'm still not sure how any of the quotes would support Soto was going to FA no matter what.  FA was by far the most likely outcome, but no matter what?  

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

From an outsider perspective, it's a fascinating trade.  I still hate to see Soto go but to see what you guys got and if it pans out will be interesting.

It depends on how it pans out. They could all get hurt, plateau at AA or AAA. But even still, like anyone who pays attention knows, it beats the comp pick we would have gotten in 3 years...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We went from 25th to 8th overall, per famgraphs. Most of our talent before today was really, really young: Armando Cruz, Christian Vaquero, Rosimar Quintana, Brady House, Elijah Green. In 2 years, we could be what the O's are now.

Oh jeeze, that is the best case? Send them back to Montreal