Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#REDSKINS Post Game Quotes & Notes

TK

REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN

On injuries:

"Injuries, Jordan Reed, foot sprain/toe. I'm not sure which one, he did not return. Shaun Dion Hamilton had a shoulder strain I guess."

On starting their fourth quarterback next week:

"It’s tough to deal with. It really is. It’s unfortunate. Our guys continue to compete. That product we put on the field today was not a reflection of the guys work during the week and at practice. However, it did look bad. It’s a reflection of all of us. I think our players competed and did the best they could. Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson, can’t say enough about them coming in here with really short notice trying to learn an NFL offense and play on a Sunday with limited reps. They competed and did the best they could. At the end of the day, we weren’t quite ready."

On the drop off in play on defense:

"Started out really well. It started off good. First quarter we were competing, going toe-to-toe. We weren’t getting any yardage on offense. We were going three and out a lot. We got backed up and threw a pick-six. After that, I think it was like a punch in the gut for everybody. They had a nice drive to get it to ten to nothing. We had another three and out I believe. I think Saquon [Barkley] might have broke one. For the most part, I don’t have an explanation right now as far as what the breakdowns were, who they were and why they were. I just know that Saquon is one heck of a back. We missed some fits. We saw some glaring missed fits that this late in the year shouldn’t happen. That’s something we should be detailed up on right now. It wasn’t the case, especially the long run."

On if any changes are coming:

"No, not really. We have a game to win next week in Jacksonville [Jaguars]. Then, we have to go about try to find a way to do it."

On if QB Josh Johnson will start next week:

"Yes, we’ll get Josh ready to go. I think the element he brings a little bit knowing the system. He came in here and he was playing a pickup basketball game and came in here and is playing in the National Football League on a Sunday. My hat’s off to him for picking it up. Fortunately, he’s been around me for a while and can handle the terminology and did a pretty good job moving around."

On feeling like his job is in jeopardy:

"My job is in jeopardy every week, so I just have to go about and do the best I can to get these guys ready to go. We’ll continue to do that."

On QB Mark Sanchez:

"What did work? There was nothing that worked so nothing worked. Everything did not work. I don’t know. I’ll have to check it out. We tried to run the ball early. We ran the ball first down. Second down, we ran the ball. Then, we got stopped. The running game wasn’t very productive for us. We weren’t getting any big plays. Threw the pick-six and the ball got batted at the line. There were a couple of different reasons why. Misread a couple of coverages. Maybe missed a couple throws and some protection issues. You’re talking about a quarterback that just got here and you ask me why everything went wrong. There’s a lot of different reasons, but we do understand how difficult it is for him to come in with a short amount of time to play."

On LB Zach Brown not starting:

"Zach Brown missed a couple of days because he was sick, so we started in base with Shaun Dion [Hamilton] and went on from there. Then Shaun Dion got hurt and Zach Brown came back out."

On not competing in the second half today:

"First half was terrible. That was a snowball effect. Second half was the same way. We made the switch to Josh and got a rally going. I don’t think it was a lack of competing, we just got beat a little bit. We gave ourselves terrible field position for the defense. They were on the field a long time. A lot of three and outs by the offense. They might have been gassed a little bit. I would never say we did not compete. I’ll have to watch the film and find out."

On if there is a disconnect in preparation:

"I don’t know if there is a disconnect or not. We’ll have to check the run defense. There’s a disconnect. We have a quarterback who just got here. We have two offensive guards who were named starter yesterday. There’s a disconnect there. There are three of our starting 11 guys that just got here a little bit ago, so there’s a disconnect there. We also lost Jordan Reed in the first quarter, so there’s a major disconnect there. There’s four pretty good players or four key players who aren’t out there or what have you. Two starting guards and a starting quarterback, I’d say there is a disconnect there."

On other things on defense that didn’t go well and Giants RB Saquon Barkley:

"I don’t know. This is all pretty fresh. I’ll have to check the film out. There’s a couple missed tackles there. We talk about wrapping up and all that good stuff. It didn’t happen today. He’s a great player, so let's give him some credit too. He is a really good running back. He’s the first or second pick in the draft for a reason. He’s going to continue to be a great running back and give a lot of people a lot of fits."

On why the struggles are happening this late in the year:

"I think sometimes some guys get over-aggressive. Like a lot of the keepers, the nakeds when they fake the run, guys were really aggressive trying to get in there and make a tackle. Then it’s a naked and we’re out flanked from time to time. Backside they hit outside a gap by a head or two and they get pinned or the guy makes them miss in the hole. There’s a lot of different reasons for it. At the end of the day I don’t think it's because of lack of effort or guys aren’t playing. Sometimes they are playing too hard and getting out of a gap."

On choosing the guards:

"They were the biggest. We went with the size. We’re trying to be a physical football team and try and get some runs downhill, runs early. They probably had the best ability to pass protect. We got Zac [Kerin] in here three days ago and obviously, Ty [Nsekhe] is the other one, we just got him not too long ago. We went with the bigger, safer type players. Guys who are a little but more veteran type guys."

On what led to the decision to go with QB Josh Johnson:

"We were down pretty much. I want to give Mark [Sanchez] the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance. We just couldn’t protect. I thought at the end of the day, if we are having trouble protecting, I need somebody who can move around and makes some plays. I went with Josh. The ability to scramble and make some plays with his legs. Mix in some RPOs and zone-reads, all that stuff."

On penalties:

"Obviously, I’m upset about the loss, but these penalties I have to check them out. I’m sure we’ll send a bunch up to the league and find out. The holding calls and the one on Fabian [Moreau] down the left sideline, I thought he got pulled down. They called it on Fabian. The personal foul at the end on Josh [Doctson], I don’t know what was going on. It was a big pile up. A lot of holding calls again. When you get a young quarterback and you’re trying to run the ball and you get first and 18 or second and 20, you have no chance. That’s a major issue. It’s been an issue, hands to the face and holding. Whatever they are, we’ll have to check them out and continue to try and correct them."

REDSKINS CORNERBACK GREG STROMAN

On his frustrations today:

“Anytime you lose it's frustrating, but we’ll just go back at it next week.”

On penalties:

“I mean that’s unacceptable. We just have to go back and correct it.”

On playoff chances:

“No, anything can happen. We’re going to play our hearts out every game.”

On improvements on defense:

“We just have to play together. We just have to keep grinding. It’ll work out.”

REDSKINS LINEBACKER RYAN KERRIGAN

On the defensive struggles:

“It’s the little things. You have to get off blocks and allow running lanes for the guys who are filling in. It’s that, it's coverage. It’s easier said than done but it’s what we have to do.”

On practice this week:

“I feel like we had a good week of practice, a good week of work. Guys were excited coming off a disappointing game against Philadelphia [Eagles]. We knew if we won this one, we’d be right back in it. But we didn’t.”

REDSKINS WIDE RECEIVER JAMISON CROWDER

On his career long touchdown reception:

“I don’t know. We just got man coverage and got by the corner on the shallow and just caught him in playing and shooting right down the sideline. That’s pretty much it.”

On what QB Josh Johnson brought to the game:

“Yeah, I just think he brought a certain level of energy. It was a tough day, but when he came in, you could kind of just feel he had a certain level of energy and we just all kind of fed off of that and just played along with it.”

REDSKINS OFFENSIVE LINEMAN MORGAN MOSES

On the amount of penalties and the adversity on the offensive line:

“Well it is and obviously there are some things we’ve got to correct. Obviously, having different quarterbacks in there, the cadence and things like that, but obviously we’ve just got to hone into what we do. Whatever it is, if it’s keeping the offense simple, whatever it is we need to. We just have to make sure everybody is one page and that way we can execute it as best as possible.”

On if the team feels they still have a chance at the playoffs:

“Oh definitely. Obviously, you play to win and you’ve got three games left—three winnable games. Obviously, Jacksonville has a great defense, but they’re struggling on offense just like we are. We’ve just got to come out and be explosive. We’ve got to come out and correct the things, not put ourselves in those second and 15’s and first and 20 situations and just try to move the ball down the field. Our defense is playing lights out. Obviously, we turned the ball over in the short field or we give them a short field to go, it’s obviously harder for our defense. But the young guys come out there and play, they play with their heart. We’ve just got to make sure we put them in the best positions so we can succeed as a team.”

On what QB Josh Johnson was able to bring:

“Obviously, he didn’t get a lot of reps this week because we were getting Mark [Sanchez] ready. I don’t really know that much about the guy [Laughter] because he’s kind of been ducked off in meetings trying to learn the offense himself. Obviously, his run ability brings a lot to the table, but obviously he’s been around the league for a while and things like that. He’s been with Jay [Gruden] before, so to see what he brought to the table today was definitely eye opening.”

REDSKINS LINEBACKER MASON FOSTER

On being drained physically and mentally:

“It’s tough, it’s a long season. But, there’s no excuses and we have to play better. We still have to keep playing no matter who they have at quarterback or who we have at quarterback or what's going on with the offense or any of that.”

On the defensive struggles:

“I think it’s giving up big plays. Earlier in the year, we didn’t give up those big plays. Now that we’re giving them up, it’s putting us in a hole. We have to be able to fight out of that hole and keep pushing but things just aren’t going our way and we have to get it fixed. It’s embarrassing to lose like this.”

On the upcoming schedule:

“We just have to keep moving forward. We took a tough loss today. A lot of things haven’t been going our way the last couple weeks, but you can turn it around. All it takes is continuing to work hard. Guys have been working hard at practice. We just have to get the little things corrected and we’ll be alright.”

REDSKINS CORNERBACK JOSH NORMAN

On what went wrong with the defense today:

“Everything, you saw the game.”

On why practice didn’t transfer to success during the game:

“I don’t know man. We were taken to the back of the barn, kind of like your grandmother does with one of those big thick paddles and we got it put to the backside pretty good. That’s what happened.”

On why the defense is allowing more points:

“I don’t really know what it is. At the end of the day, we have to come out and do what we have to do. We just didn’t have it today, it kind of sucks. The hand we are being dealt right now, we just have to get through it. We have three games left, so let’s make something happen, something positive. Bright spot we had today was Josh Johnson. Everything else, it is what it is.”

REDSKINS QUARTERBACK JOSH JOHNSON

On how much of the offense he knew coming in and how he felt in game:

“When I got in on Wednesday, I went through the game plan and I felt pretty comfortable. A lot of stuff I was familiar with, what I’ve done with Coach [Jay] Gruden in Cincinnati and down with his brother in Tampa and Oakland. I was pretty excited about that, but obviously there were new things so I had to just grind away like I’ve done numerous times in my career as I’ve been in this situation so much.”

On how prepared he felt coming into the game versus where he wants to be next week:

“Well, the beauty of it, I mean I’ve been a fourth stringer, a third stringer. But you don’t actually get any live reps so just to go against the defense, I was able to re-watch the film and just focus on the things I know are necessary to be a productive quarterback. In regards to footwork and timing, I was able to get that done by going against our defense. I really didn’t have a clue how it would go in the game because I didn’t get reps with the real guys. At the end of the day, I’ve been doing this long enough, so at the end of the day just go out there and trust your reads, trust your coaches and let’s see what happens.”

On how it felt to see it come together on the field:

“It felt good man. It felt good to really just go out there and experience some success with these guys. For myself, I mean I haven’t played in a long time. I’ve always be interested in getting out there in a real game. I had the opportunity and I just wanted to take advantage of it.”

REDSKINS QUARTERBACK MARK SANCHEZ

On why the offense couldn’t get in sync:

“Listen, it was tough sledding for sure, that’s easy to figure out. I think we were trying to establish the run game hard in the beginning and then we just kind of ran into a little bit of buzz saw there and got ourselves into some tough situations. Some second and longs, third and longs and some know passing situations and it makes it tough. But, I thought there were plays to be made. I thought we hung in there, it wasn’t an effort issue by any means. I was proud of the way guys thought and hung in there even when things started to turn. You got a tipped interception on really what could have potentially been a breakout play. You’re not looking at that lineman right in front of you. He kind of falls off a block and I’m trying to make a throw down the field, which even looking at it on the iPad, I’m curious to see it on film. I think we had Mike Floyd running, so that’s too bad. There’s nothing you can do about it and things just snowballed from there. Then Coach [Jay Gruden] wanted to go with Josh [Johnson] and he adds a different element. He can really run and he uses his ability to scramble, so I was proud of his effort and tried to help him as much as I could. No matter what, going into this thing, it’s a team effort and you do everything you can to win. Obviously, we imagined it going a lot different than this and it’s really too bad. But like I said, it was never an effort issue and guys had a great attitude the whole time. They were positive, as positive as you can be in the face of adversity like that.”

On how much the two quarterbacks are able to talk with each other:

“Listen, as soon as Josh got the call, we knew there were going to be a couple different changes with his ability to move. Then everything I was seeing, I tried to relay to him and then just be his eyes on the sideline, remind him of anything I could. That’s what you do in a quarterback room, that’s what you do as a professional. Sure, would I have liked the day to go better and have a big win and be celebrating right now? Absolutely, but it didn’t go that way. We’re both teammates. I really respect him and I thought he came in and played his butt off. I’m proud of him and the whole team. They really did rally around us and that’s not easy to do, you know? So I appreciated that.”

REDSKINS-GIANTS GAME NOTES

The Washington Redskins dropped a 40-16 loss to the New York Giants at FedExField on Sunday afternoon.

Redskins recorded a pair of two-point conversions on back-to-back scoring drives. It is the first time the Redskins have scored a pair of two-point conversions in a single game. The last time Washington completed a two-point conversion was Dec. 26, 2015 against the Eagles.

Quarterback Josh Johnson made his Redskins debut and completed 11-of- 16 pass attempts for 195 yards and one touchdown for a passer rating of 104.9. Johnson threw a 79-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter. The score was a career long touchdown pass for Johnson and his first touchdown pass since throwing a 23-yard touchdown pass on Dec. 4, 2011 as a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The game marks Johnson's first game played since Dec 22, 2013 when he was a member of the Cincinnati Bengals. In that game he recorded three rushing yards on four attempts.

Johnson recorded 45 rushing yards on seven attempts (6.4 avg.) and one rushing touchdown. It is the first time a Redskins player has recorded a rushing touchdown and passed for a touchdown in the same game since Kirk Cousins finished with two rushing touchdowns and a touchdown pass against the Minnesota Vikings in Week 10 of the 2017 season.

Wide Receiver Jamison Crowder finished with a game high 87 receiving yards (43.5 avg.) with two receptions and a career long touchdown catch for 79 yards.

Tight End Vernon Davis finished with four receptions for 31 yards (7.8 avg.).

Wide Receiver Josh Doctson hauled in four receptions for a single game career high 84 yards (21.0 avg.)

Safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix tied a team high seven tackles (five solo) and recorded one pass defensed.

Linebacker Mason Foster finished with six tackles (four solo) and an interception. Foster posted his second interception of the season and it is his first time recording multiple interceptions in one season since 2013 when he finished with a career-season high of three interceptions as a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton tied a team high seven tackles (five solo) and added one quarterback hit.

Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan made his 125th consecutive regular season start. The streak is the longest active streak among active NFL linebackers. Kerrigan has not missed a start in his NFL career.

Kerrigan finished with six tackles (four solo), two tackles for a loss and two quarterback hits and one sack for a 14-yard loss. With the sack, Kerrigan has now recorded at least 8.5 or more sacks for a seventh-consecutive season. He becomes the 13th player in NFL history to accomplish the feat since sacks became an official statistic in 1982.

Kerrigan (80.5) is now two sacks shy of passing Charles Mann (82.0) for No. 2 on the all-time franchise list.

Kerrigan remains as one of six NFL players (and only three non-quarterbacks) to have started every game since the start of the 2011 season (Brandon Carr, Patrick Peterson, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan and  Matthew Stafford).

Cornerback Josh Norman collected one tackle for loss and two passes defensed. Norman has now recorded 18 games in his career in which he has registered at least two passes defensed. He also recorded two passes defensed in Week 9 against the Atlanta Falcons.

Defensive lineman Daron Payne recorded a sack and now has 5.0 sacks on the season. With the sack, the Redskins have now recorded consecutive seasons with at least three or more players with five or more sacks since the 91-92 seasons.

Punter Tress Way (36) recorded three punts inside the 20 yard line and set a new single season franchise record since the statistic began being tracked in 1976. Way was the 2018 league leader entering the day.

Way (345) registered eight punts to take sole possession of third on the Redskins all-time list, passing Sammy Baugh (338) and Pat Richter (338).

Every week Gruden gives almost the same answers.  He is freaking clueless on what is going on with his team as evident by his answers.

Shaun Dion Hamilton had a shoulder strain I guess. - I guess Alex and Colt have booboos.  Clueless

I don’t know if there is a disconnect or not. We’ll have to check the run defense. There’s a disconnect. - Well is there or isn't there a disconnect?  Clueless

No, not really. We have a game to win next week in Jacksonville [Jaguars]. Then, we have to go about try to find a way to do it."  - So, we prepare for the game AFTER the game?  Clueless

I don’t think it was a lack of competing, we just got beat a little bit. - No we got our collective asses handed to us on a platter.  Clueless

I don’t know. This is all pretty fresh. I’ll have to check the film out. - Have you ever checked the film?  Clueless

They were the biggest. We went with the size - How about going with guys with talent?  Clueless

When you get a young quarterback and you’re trying to run the ball and you get first and 18 or second and 20, you have no chance. - Since we don't have a young QB on the team this means we have a chance.  Clueless.

My job is in jeopardy every week, so I just have to go about and do the best I can to get these guys ready to go. We’ll continue to do that.  This might be they only correct answer he gave, but, for 5 years he has done the same thing week in and week out.  ZERO preparation and ZERO motivation (especially in big games / prime time games).  Unfortunately, I think he is safe for another year.  But, by all that is Holy, I sure hope not.

Can't wait for this guy to be shown the door.  He is a buffoon and has no saving graces as a Head Coach.

20 hours ago, TK said:

On if there is a disconnect in preparation:

"I don’t know if there is a disconnect or not. We’ll have to check the run defense. There’s a disconnect. We have a quarterback who just got here. We have two offensive guards who were named starter yesterday. There’s a disconnect there. There are three of our starting 11 guys that just got here a little bit ago, so there’s a disconnect there. We also lost Jordan Reed in the first quarter, so there’s a major disconnect there. There’s four pretty good players or four key players who aren’t out there or what have you. Two starting guards and a starting quarterback, I’d say there is a disconnect there."

I am just so sick and tired of anybody using injuries as an excuse.  We know about the QB and the guards.  We get it. 

It's such loser talk to keep mentioning the damn injuries.  Maybe it's not overcome-able.  However your QB and 2 guards didn't cause your defense to implode after 2 drives, and give up 40 unanswered points, including HUGE chunk running plays.  It didn't force you to come out with as unimaginative game plan offensively that had no chance of working.  Pull 2 guards who are really big and not mobile?  Really?  Either it's lazy or dumb.  Or both. 

EDIT: @TKI didn't really intend to quote you. 

Archived