Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Audi Field to Host Washington DC Defenders XFL Team in 2020

Ron78

What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?

• Attend games at Audi Field
    • Watch games at home or in sports bars
    • I will not support this team

41 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

XFL doesn't stand a chance now that the AAF has deals with CBS, TNT and the NFL Network.  I'll give it a shot, but I don't expect this to go more than two seasons.  Mainly because Vince's ego might make him take the financial loss to go more than one season this time.

The AAF will only have two games on a "legacy" network (CBS), and the rest of its games are on cable.  The AAF also put all of its teams in mid-sized markets that just don't generate all that much revenue.  It remains to be seen where the XFL finalizes its television contracts, but considering that it has tapped mainly big markets, it will probably get a better television deal since those bigger markets have greater revenue potential.  It's the AAF that doesn't stand a chance.  The XFL probably doesn't either, but it has a better shot than the AAF.

10 hours ago, Ron78 said:

1.  The AAF will only have two games on a "legacy" network (CBS), and the rest of its games are on cable. 

2.  The AAF also put all of its teams in mid-sized markets that just don't generate all that much revenue. 

3.  It remains to be seen where the XFL finalizes its television contracts, but considering that it has tapped mainly big markets, it will probably get a better television deal since those bigger markets have greater revenue potential. 

4.  It's the AAF that doesn't stand a chance.  The XFL probably doesn't either, but it has a better shot than the AAF.

1.  Opening weekend, CBS will be airing both inaugural games at the same time (region depends on what game you get locally) along with the Championship game in April.  All games will stream live on CBS All Access and on the free AAF app.  They also have a deal with the NFL and the NFL Network will be airing 19 total games, two per weekend starting 2/16.  One game per week will be shown on CBS Sports Network and TNT will show one live game and playoff game.  

That is great exposure for a start-up league.  They are not trying to compete with the NFL at all and the NFL sees that.  If this were 2001 and not 2019, I'd agree that having more games on a legacy network would be more important.  But even with the cord cutters, they have access to watch all the games through multiple platforms and streaming services, or even just on a PC/phone/tablet.  

2.  I don't think they will have an issue with the mid-size markets, if the on field product is good, it will be successful.  

3.  It is said that Vince is trying to get a deal with Fox or ESPN.  That would be huge, no doubt.  

4.  I give the edge to the AAF based on them already starting a relationship with the NFL.  I still don't see the XFL making it past two seasons.  I just think the AAF seems to have a better approach towards being successful than the XFL does.  Granted, we still don't have that many details on the XFL just yet.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:31 AM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

1.  Opening weekend, CBS will be airing both inaugural games at the same time (region depends on what game you get locally) along with the Championship game in April.  All games will stream live on CBS All Access and on the free AAF app.  They also have a deal with the NFL and the NFL Network will be airing 19 total games, two per weekend starting 2/16.  One game per week will be shown on CBS Sports Network and TNT will show one live game and playoff game.  

That is great exposure for a start-up league.  They are not trying to compete with the NFL at all and the NFL sees that.  If this were 2001 and not 2019, I'd agree that having more games on a legacy network would be more important.  But even with the cord cutters, they have access to watch all the games through multiple platforms and streaming services, or even just on a PC/phone/tablet.  

2.  I don't think they will have an issue with the mid-size markets, if the on field product is good, it will be successful.  

3.  It is said that Vince is trying to get a deal with Fox or ESPN.  That would be huge, no doubt.  

4.  I give the edge to the AAF based on them already starting a relationship with the NFL.  I still don't see the XFL making it past two seasons.  I just think the AAF seems to have a better approach towards being successful than the XFL does.  Granted, we still don't have that many details on the XFL just yet.

1.  There is still far less potential revenue in airing games on cable than there is on "legacy" networks.  The XFL is negotiating with Fox, and considering the size of the markets the XFL chose, I am willing to bet the XFL will have many more games on Fox 5 that the AAF will have on CBS.

2.  People tend to support sports franchises that support their local economy (one of the reasons I favor the XFL over the AAF).  Other start up leagues have spent themselves into bankruptcy by investing too much money in mid-sized markets.

3.  Yes.  If the XFL can draw the ratings.

4.  To each his own.  I think Vince is trying to tap into disgruntled NFL fans that don't like the way the NFL has been managed.  I guess we will find out which league loses less money and lasts more seasons based on their respective business plans.

Edited by Ron78

I'm just reading through this thread...it's almost like the NFL is propping up the AAFL as a potential merger. If they are in mid-size markets (with only two cities who already have a pro team and would ultimately need to find a new home), it seems like they would slide quite nicely into the NFL at some point in the future if the product remains viable. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm just reading through this thread...it's almost like the NFL is propping up the AAFL as a potential merger. If they are in mid-size markets (with only two cities who already have a pro team and would ultimately need to find a new home), it seems like they would slide quite nicely into the NFL at some point in the future if the product remains viable. 

As an expansion of the NFL?  Naah.  As a minor/developmental league?  That could be.  Or, maybe they would support the AAF to undermine the XFL, and then dump the AAF when it is no longer needed (because it is too expensive to maintain).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

As an expansion of the NFL?  Naah.  As a minor/developmental league?  That could be.  Or, maybe they would support the AAF to undermine the XFL, and then dump the AAF when it is no longer needed (because it is too expensive to maintain).

I'm not talking about in 3 years...but why couldn't this be a long-term play? 

I do agree that, near-term, having a major league/minor league relationship is likely. I've always wanted something where each of the 8 divisions had a team affiliation and then there would be some waiver process that governed when players could be "called up" or "claimed"

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That was mentioned in an article I read, potential merger in the future.  The AAF has made it clear that they are not competing with the NFL and want to provide a brand of quality football with not changing up the rules too much that will allow fans to continue watching between the end of the NFL and start of college football.  They also are listening to complaints and trying to keep the games at 2 1/2 hours max.  

Another article I read said they also view this as an opportunity for former NFL players and those who just missed the NFL to showcase their skills and have plenty of game film for NFL scouts/teams to evaluate and hopefully bring them in and they get a shot at cracking the 53 man roster.  It was also stating that those players that might only be special teams or 3rd/4th string have a very limited opportunity to show what they can do during pre-season games.  This allows for actual game tape going full speed.  

The NFL has tossed around the idea of a developmental league, NFL Europe failed miserably, but the NFL was fine with losing money (think it was close to 30 million/yr) forever  before they shut it down.  They also stated that it should have been in the U.S. and not Europe.  This could possibly turn into that minor/developmental league for the NFL if it is successful.  Obviously with the NFL Network airing 19 live games, shows they recognize a potential opportunity.

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I do agree that, near-term, having a major league/minor league relationship is likely. I've always wanted something where each of the 8 divisions had a team affiliation and then there would be some waiver process that governed when players could be "called up" or "claimed"

The owner of the AAF stated this was not going to be evaluated on a one or two year project, that they were looking long term at 10 years (or so).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

That was mentioned in an article I read, potential merger in the future.  The AAF has made it clear that they are not competing with the NFL and want to provide a brand of quality football with not changing up the rules too much that will allow fans to continue watching between the end of the NFL and start of college football.  They also are listening to complaints and trying to keep the games at 2 1/2 hours max.  

Another article I read said they also view this as an opportunity for former NFL players and those who just missed the NFL to showcase their skills and have plenty of game film for NFL scouts/teams to evaluate and hopefully bring them in and they get a shot at cracking the 53 man roster.  It was also stating that those players that might only be special teams or 3rd/4th string have a very limited opportunity to show what they can do during pre-season games.  This allows for actual game tape going full speed.  

The NFL has tossed around the idea of a developmental league, NFL Europe failed miserably, but the NFL was fine with losing money (think it was close to 30 million/yr) forever  before they shut it down.  They also stated that it should have been in the U.S. and not Europe.  This could possibly turn into that minor/developmental league for the NFL if it is successful.  Obviously with the NFL Network airing 19 live games, shows they recognize a potential opportunity.

Another area I could see - which exists in every other sport - is a holding tank for players who maybe don't want to go to college. Maybe this league won't have any rules against that and you'll have players spend 2 years in the AAF before ultimately jumping to the NFL. That could allow for some hype and great talent for the AAF while also benefiting the player (development) and the NFL (getting a more seasoned, prepared player). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

So you think the NFL is scared of Vince and an XFL reboot enough to use the AAF to undermine the XFL :rofl89:

Vince and the XFL was a huge failure.  Hell, he can't even come up with a better name/acronym to use than XFL.........He had teams in big markets and games shown on a major network (NBC) and it was so pathetic.  Sure, he wants to try again and put out a better brand, I hope he does.  I'm not anti-XFL, not sure why one can't watch both.  

If I'm betting on which will last longer, I'm going with the brand that the NFL has partnered with in some capacity than a reboot of a horrible football league owned by a wrestling tycoon.  Vince seems like the type to get in his own way and has had a plethora of failed business ventures over the years.  Maybe he tries to do it right this time, guess we will see over the next couple of years.

36 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Because spending that kind of money in mid-sized markets (like Birmingham or Memphis) has bankrupted other start ups.  You don't get a return on your investment like you do in major U.S. cities, and it divides the advertising revenue.  For example, the Atlanta Falcons franchise would be giving up some of its revenue to the "Atlanta Legends" and "Birmingham Iron" of the AAF to some degree.  The Atlanta Falcons owner wouldn't like that very much.  Also, the NFL tried investing in a "minor league" (NFL Europe) before and dissolved it because it was losing so much money.  They may ultimately decide that propping up the AAF as minor league isn't worth it long term. 

17 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So you think the NFL is scared of Vince and an XFL reboot enough to use the AAF to undermine the XFL :rofl89:

Vince and the XFL was a huge failure.  Hell, he can't even come up with a better name/acronym to use than XFL.........He had teams in big markets and games shown on a major network (NBC) and it was so pathetic.  Sure, he wants to try again and put out a better brand, I hope he does.  I'm not anti-XFL, not sure why one can't watch both.  

If I'm betting on which will last longer, I'm going with the brand that the NFL has partnered with in some capacity than a reboot of a horrible football league owned by a wrestling tycoon.  Vince seems like the type to get in his own way and has had a plethora of failed business ventures over the years.  Maybe he tries to do it right this time, guess we will see over the next couple of years.

Not necessarily that the XFL will overtake them, but that the XFL will cut into the NFL's revenue for however many years it lasts.  People who are unhappy with the NFL might redirect their investment in merchandise or ticket sales (for example) in the XFL instead of the NFL as a protest.  I am sure the NFL doesn't want the XFL's competition to any degree.  It's not an irrational thought.

Edited by Ron78

4 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

Because spending that kind of money in mid-sized markets (like Birmingham or Memphis) has bankrupted other start ups.  You don't get a return on your investment like you do in major U.S. cities, and it divides the advertising revenue.  For example, the Atlanta Falcons franchise would be giving up some of its revenue to the "Atlanta Legends" and "Birmingham Iron" of the AAF to some degree.  The Atlanta Falcons owner wouldn't like that very much.  Also, the NFL tried investing in a "minor league" (NFL Europe) before and dissolved it because it was losing so much money.  They may ultimately decide that propping up the AAF has minor league isn't worth it long term. 

Good points...I am by no means saying that this WILL succeed. What I'm saying is that I think the NFL is hedging a little bit here. Also, keep in mind that if they expanded, it wouldn't need to be with 8 franchises. They could contract and keep the two that take off the most. But, in the end, I agree that it's more likely than not that the AAF is forgotten in a few years. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

Not necessarily that the XFL will overtake them, but that the XFL will cut into the NFL's revenue for however many years it lasts.  People who are unhappy with the NFL might redirect their investment in merchandise or ticket sales (for example) in the XFL instead of the NFL as a protest.  I am sure the NFL doesn't want the XFL's competition to any degree.  It's not an irrational thought.

The XFL is not a threat to the NFL.  It would take decades of success and expansion to become any sort of legit threat to the NFL.  

That at most likely will not happen.  For either league.  But since the AAF is taking a different path, it has the best potential (IMO as of now) to last longer.  

If if it is successful this year, it’s got an advantage over the XFL.  A year head start, partnership with the NFL (airing games for now) and possibly obtaining a new contract with CBS that shows live games on a major network each week in season 2.  

5 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

The XFL is not a threat to the NFL.  It would take decades of success and expansion to become any sort of legit threat to the NFL.  

That at most likely will not happen.  For either league.  But since the AAF is taking a different path, it has the best potential (IMO as of now) to last longer.  

If if it is successful this year, it’s got an advantage over the XFL.  A year head start, partnership with the NFL (airing games for now) and possibly obtaining a new contract with CBS that shows live games on a major network each week in season 2.  

The XFL will be in a position to steal some of the NFL's revenue (especially since they are operating in many NFL markets).  It's just a matter of how much.  The longer the XFL sticks around, the longer it will cut into the NFL's revenue, so I am sure the NFL doesn't necessarily want the XFL around.  

54 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

The XFL will be in a position to steal some of the NFL's revenue (especially since they are operating in many NFL markets).  It's just a matter of how much.  The longer the XFL sticks around, the longer it will cut into the NFL's revenue, so I am sure the NFL doesn't necessarily want the XFL around.  

You're under the assumption that enough fans quit the NFL and go all in on an unproven league with mediocre talent compared to the NFL.  Looking at the 8 markets the XFL will be in and comparing those area NFL teams' attendance in 2017 and 2018:

1.  Dallas - 91K (2018) and 92K (2017)

2.  Houston - 71K both years

3.  LA (just Rams) - 72K (2018) and 25K (2017)

4.  NY - 77K both years both teams

5.  Seattle - 69K both years

6.  TB - 54K (2018) and 60K (2017)

7.  St. Louis - no NFL team

8.  DC - 61K (2018) and 75K (2017)

Bolded are the NFL stadiums that will host that cities XFL team.  Now TB does have a drop in attendance, 6K, but they also finished 5-11 this past season.  DC had the biggest drop in attendance (14K), but the DC team is playing at Audi Field which only holds 20K.  Of the other markets, all of them attendance is stable with a solid fan base.  And one doesn't have any direct competition (St. Louis).  

And Dallas, Houston, LA and Seattle were playoff teams with one going to the Super Bowl.  Those fans and Giants/Jets fans are most likely not going to abandon their teams in favor of the XFL enough to make any noticeable dent in any revenue.  If TB becomes a playoff contender, same with them.  I'd say the biggest threat of lost revenue would be in DC, but Snyder has already started that decline on his own.

The XFL would have to field a brand and talent level great enough to pull more fans.  I don't think that is possible.  It's in the NFL off-season, in markets where five of the teams most likely won't be impacted at all, with one market not having an NFL team.  We already know the talent level is going to be extremely lower than what the NFL offers.  I think of it like this, the NFL is to the XFL as TNA was to WWE.  

TNA hung in there for a while (not head to head), but it wasn't even close to really taking that much away from the WWE.  I think we are in agreement that both leagues will most likely fail and not make it too far into the future.  

I'm not sure the attendance figures are all that important since it is contributing less and less to overall revenue each year. In 2010 attendance made up 20% of the overall NFL revenue and that's already down to 15% as of 2017. If a few extra people stay home, the NFL won't even notice. 

The only way a football league will compete is if their product provides networks with leverage in the TV deals. So, if anyone really thought that Fox or CBS or NBC would offer less to the NFL because they can just air the XFL games, they might make a dent. I don't see that being the case for a very long time. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not sure the attendance figures are all that important since it is contributing less and less to overall revenue each year. In 2010 attendance made up 20% of the overall NFL revenue and that's already down to 15% as of 2017. If a few extra people stay home, the NFL won't even notice. 

The only way a football league will compete is if their product provides networks with leverage in the TV deals. So, if anyone really thought that Fox or CBS or NBC would offer less to the NFL because they can just air the XFL games, they might make a dent. I don't see that being the case for a very long time. 

The point I was trying to make about the attendance was that in 5 of the major markets both leagues have teams in, is stable, it's not really up or down.  The fan interest is still there, fans are still there and putting money into their NFL teams.  Just that small piece of the overall revenue.  Speaking to Ron's point of fans being ticked off at the NFL and stop putting money into the NFL team and into the XFL team taking away some of the revenue from the NFL in that market.  I do not see that happening at all or enough to be of any concern for those 5 teams.  

Hell, with revenue sharing in the NFL, it wouldn't be enough from just the other two markets to matter (DC and TB).  As far as the TV deals, I don't think that is going to impact the NFL at all either, mainly because the XFL happens in the NFL's off-season, there is no competition for viewership.  Vince strikes a deal with Fox, NFL is already in a deal with Fox and other major networks until 2023 (think that was it).  

• 2 weeks later...
Oliver Luck and Pep Hamilton's interview with the Sports Junkies...

Some bulleted takeaways...

• Quarterbacks will make between 400 K and 600 K, which will allow them to steel some NFL guys off of NFL rosters.
  • Pep Hamilton Coached Andrew Luck for 6 total years between college and the NFL
  • Luck announced the end of March beginning of April for XFL Team Names
  • The money behind XFL league is all Vince McMahon’s money. No silent backers
  • 18 years since the last XFL iteration
  • New XFL will reduce the gimmicks of the past XFL to a 0. Focused on quality football.
  • Extra points will be 3, 2 or 1 point but no kicks. Field goals will still be in the game.
  • As has been reported, TV deal will see games televised over basic and cable TV.
  • Pep Hamilton attracted to the XFL because he can “Shop for the grocery’s” as well as coach.
  • Pep Hamilton interviewed in 2014 for the Raiders Head Coaching Job. Only time he interviewed for head coach job.
  • Took the job because of Oliver Luck, always maintained an offseason home in DC and family is from the area.
  • Pep’s biggest challenge is finding the staff, that share his passion and vision.
  • XFL DC team will be practice at RFK.
  • XFL will start signing players during the spring and summer. Asked not to play in fall on their contract is signed.
  • Big XFL draft will take place after the NFL cut down day Sept 2nd of 2019.
  • QB’s will make more money than anyone else.
  • Contacts are in a tier system
  • XFL not part of NCAA/NFL eligibility rule. So players out of college due to grades or personal issues can play for XFL.
  • A salary cap for each XFL team.
  • Players in the AAF are eligible for XFL
  • Players will sign one year contract

On 2/8/2019 at 1:31 PM, Ron78 said:

That is more the NFLs style, all the play they outlawed they do off the field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron78 said:

It looks like the XFL will be making a play for NCAA rookies to snake them from the NFL...

https://www.actionnetwork.com/xfl/xfl-nfl-draftees-signing-bonuses-2019-darren-rovell?fbclid=IwAR3ajIlluJWYazTNO5ch4XOrtUyLoLBUraDZzQrJzSIegIecdq2FdlQjkv4

Gotta love Vince's ambition.

This is exactly what I've been saying the XFL could do to take advantage of the NFL's little agreement to go along with the NCAA's exploitation of kids.  Why play in the NCAA for free AND not be allowed to even make money off your name, when you could instead join the XFL and get paid?  Great way to poach talent before it's even eligible for the NFL.

edit: Or maybe not quite what I was saying.  I guess this is more about guys entering the draft who don't get drafted, not guys still in college ineligible for the NFL.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

This is exactly what I've been saying the XFL could do to take advantage of the NFL's little agreement to go along with the NCAA's exploitation of kids.  Why play in the NCAA for free AND not be allowed to even make money off your name, when you could instead join the XFL and get paid?  Great way to poach talent before it's even eligible for the NFL.

edit: Or maybe not quite what I was saying.  I guess this is more about guys entering the draft who don't get drafted, not guys still in college ineligible for the NFL.

The XFL has also stated they are not following the NFL's guidelines of requiring 3 years of NCAA experience to be eligible for the draft, so they are undercutting the NFL that way too.

4 people voted "I won't pay attention". Well, we have a pro football team here led by a cretin in Snyder. Are you sure you won't pay attention if another football league pops up that plays in DC? Believe me, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in a non-Snyder alternative. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Exploitation?  Do you really think a kid straight out of high school should be playing with grown ass men and getting blown up by them?  End what chance they might have to make the NFL?  Purely speculation, but lets say that the XFL gets some former NFL players that played some or got cut along with college players that go undrafted. 

And you really want to see some 18/19 year old kid who hasn't developed and not been on a proper training regimen take the field and go up against former pro athletes and former college players (3-4 years experience)?  They will get blown the **** up and could risk serious injury.  For what, 75K?  If this were basketball, sure, there is no reason HS kids shouldn't be able to go straight to the NBA.

Professional football though?  No way, not even is a lower talent league like the AAF or XFL.  I don't agree with college athletes not getting paid, specifically in football and basketball, so I'm not defending the NCAA on that front, but money/talent evaluation aside, their bodies just aren't ready to go straight out of HS into pro football, IMO.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Exploitation?  Do you really think a kid straight out of high school should be playing with grown ass men and getting blown up by them?  End what chance they might have to make the NFL?  Purely speculation, but lets say that the XFL gets some former NFL players that played some or got cut along with college players that go undrafted. 

And you really want to see some 18/19 year old kid who hasn't developed and not been on a proper training regimen take the field and go up against former pro athletes and former college players (3-4 years experience)?  They will get blown the **** up and could risk serious injury.  For what, 75K?  If this were basketball, sure, there is no reason HS kids shouldn't be able to go straight to the NBA.

Professional football though?  No way, not even is a lower talent league like the AAF or XFL.  I don't agree with college athletes not getting paid, specifically in football and basketball, so I'm not defending the NCAA on that front, but money/talent evaluation aside, their bodies just aren't ready to go straight out of HS into pro football, IMO.

Based on what I have read so far, most XFL players will be making upwards of 100 K plus some rookies will be eligible for a signing bonus of up to 100 K.  It's the AAF that's paying their players about 80 K.  There is no way the XFL is going to put high school grads with no NCAA experience on XFL rosters.  I think they are probably more thinking about college sophomores they can snag before the NFL draft (and even then its probably a pretty select group they are looking at).

Edited by Ron78