Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

7.0 Earthquake hits Alaska near Anchorage

@DCGoldPants

Large earthquake rocks Anchorage, Alaska, causing 'major infrastructure damage': Officials

The quake happened about 7.5 miles north of the city, the USGS reported, and officials said residents there should brace for aftershocks.

The NWS and the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration issued a tsunami warning for parts of Alaska, but no surrounding states have received similar warnings.

It was not immediately clear if there were injuries, but Anchorage police urged residents to be vigilant.

"There is major infrastructure damage across Anchorage. Many homes and buildings are damaged," the department said in a bulletin. "Many roads and bridges are closed. Stay off the roads if you don’t need to drive. Seek a safe shelter. Check on your surroundings and loved ones."

tsunami-warning-ht-jpo-181130_hpMain_4x3

That scene you see there with that car...back in 64 the day after i went out to what was a subdivision called Turnagain by the Sea with my cousin to help folks and it all looked like a much bigger/far worse scene of that same nature. As a kid then I thought it looked like the whole community had been blanket tossed---a term for a popular Eskimo activity where people "trampoline" high into the air off a large-diameter circular surface (traditionally animal skins) that's held by a ring of people who add to the height reached by pulling it taut with a snap timed to when the jumper is landing back on the surface. It looked like all the structures had juts been tossed into the air and landed all over the place, plus all the land sinking/rising. Surreal.

Some of the major buildings  downtown like the big  j.c. penny's center/parking garage was just rubble, and one of the hospitals sunk two floors straight down so the 3rd floor window was at ground level. Entire blocks, like around 4th Avenue and one of my favorite theaters, sunk like that as well as the places where things just looked "blown up." There was a Denali Theater building, old style fancy movie house, and the lit vertical part of the large brightly lit marquee outside that said 'Denali" started  at about a second floor level with the "i" and worked up to the "D" and it was a fair stretch up to that letter. After the quake I walked downtown and the "D" was at my foot level on the sidewalk that was pretty much intact right off the theater entrance---about 3 feet away.  You could stand there and see an entire square city block just dropped all those feet while the area next to it was relatively untouched.

At one point during the major initial quake, I was seeing the telephone poles right across the street waving back and forth like windshield wipers going from slow to faster and then breaking with loud cracks that sounded like lightning over the rumbling.

Lots of images like those and it was 3-4 months before a lot of basics came back and I was in a little neighborhood on the edge of Anchorage. Everybody had to work together and help each other as much as possible as there was no huge fast "government save" from the feds then. Relatives had their large auto repair business in Kenai wiped out by the tsunami. It was weird as a kid seeing all these huge impressive structures (everything was built big in AK when they could) just ripped apart up by a wave of water that didn't care it was just water (that's how I saw it as a kid). Nature's power and detachment very much impressed me.

Archived