Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Arrington is offered extension

Zen-like Todd

Henry,

With Arrington's and Samuel's numbers fully accounted for, we're some $9 million under the projected cap for next year. In 2005 we don't know the projections totally because we don't know what we'll have with draft picks this year or with Champ. But we are around the cap that year pending that. It wouldn't be until 2006 that if all contracts stay as they are now that we'd have SERIOUS cap issues that would require cutting players.

And those change if Arrington does restructure.

I am sure you know more about this that I do Art. So let me ask you, how many player do we have under contract for next year then? I know the contracts for Ohalete and Champ are up. Are there any other starters we wish to retain that we need to re-sign? $9 mil under the cap doesn't mean much if we've only got 30 or so players under contract.

I'm not really arguing with you because I don't know. I'm just asking if that's the case.

I seriously doubt that the NFL would let un uncapped year materialize. Something, even if it was a one year extension of some sort, would be negotiated. IfChamp starts to look around and realize that all the other "names" on theteam are extending, renogiating, getting compensated while helping the team, he'll need to take a long look in the mirror. Elevating his play wouldn't hurt.

Originally posted by gridironmike

I seriously doubt that the NFL would let un uncapped year materialize. Something, even if it was a one year extension of some sort, would be negotiated. IfChamp starts to look around and realize that all the other "names" on theteam are extending, renogiating, getting compensated while helping the team, he'll need to take a long look in the mirror. Elevating his play wouldn't hurt.

agreed, it would never happen. Teams could accelerate contracts all in one year and basically start over.

Well...

I think Lavar will stay here. Something tells me he's a team player. He's here for the team, ansd I think the money, although it's important, is not the focus.

Actually...I have no idea why I just said that, but I'd likt to think Lavar and Champ are two diferent poeple.

Champ has shown his allegeince to Ben Franklin. Not the Redskins. And that right there should be enough for the FO to realize his heart isn't in it. It pretty obvious.

Lavar seems to play for a purpose...w/ a fire. That's what makes him who he is. I think he'll sign, and be a skin for life.

This would be a great move for the organization. Lavar seemingly is a guy who is all about the team and the town. His decision about accepting the deal or not is sure as heck gonna show his true colors. I've already got a bad impression of Champ now that he declined his offer, I don't wanna give myself reason to start disliking Lavar. LAVAR, PLEASE SIGN !

It would be a great move since Lavar is looked upon as the new Mr Redskin

Lavar is a team player and I dont see him saying no to an extension if we dont puddy foot around.

Champ on the other hand, if he expects to break the bank with a 20 mil signing bonus then he can walk

Booma, I have no clue if that's what his current contract is. However, just eye-balling the numbers, it doesn't appear to me that $15M up front and then $50M over 7 years is low-balling.

I tell you one thing. We didn't give him that big a bonus when he signed....

Anyway, what worries me is that this is a status thing. Lavar (or any good player for that matter) is up for a contract and wants people to see that he's making bank for what he's doing. It doesn't even seem like it's about the money as much as it is the principle to these players.

That's all fine and good, but it just seems like the players who get the last laugh are the players that allow their teams to keep them AND add quality players to surround them.

Archived