Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Reeves stepping down as Falcons HC

@DCGoldPants

Reeves suddenly out as Falcons coach

Dec. 10, 2003

By Jay Glazer

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The first coaching change of the NFL season has occurred.

SportsLine.com has learned Falcons head coach Dan Reeves will be stepping down for the final three games of the season. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will be the interim head coach for the remainder of the team's schedule.

One Falcons source said Reeves was stepping aside, but league sources called it a firing.

Several calls to Reeves last night and early this morning were not returned.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank talked to Reeves late Tuesday and remained at the complex late into the evening. Despite an impressive home victory Sunday night over the Panthers, the Falcons are expected to announce this stunning turn of events later Wednesday.

Blank had made it known recently he wanted to go another direction next year, which put Reeves in a lame-duck situation for the final few games of the season.

The relationship between Blank and Reeves has been rocky at times during the past year. When Blank bought the team, he inherited the most successful active coach in the NFL. But in the past year, he has sought other candidates to replace him. There were several times when Reeves caught wind of Blank's fishing for a new coach, most notably with his very brief interest in Steve Marriucci.

In an interview last month, Reeves told SportsLine.com he felt Blank should simply be upfront with him in his search for a new coach.

"I wish Arthur would tell me if he's planning on replacing me," the coach said. "When we signed this three-year contract, I told him that time is everything in the NFL, and if you've got somebody in mind out there who you are interested in, all you have to do is let me know. Let's talk about it but just be upfront with me."

At the time, Reeves also said he would like to continue coaching beyond the 2003 season.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

Geez.

Stepping down/Fired after a victory? Whoever they name as a new coach will have to deal with the fact that Michael Vick create his own plays on about 50% of the snaps.

I wouldn't mind having to "deal" with that.

Originally posted by NBlue

I wouldn't mind having to "deal" with that.

If you were a coach who spent untold hours planning, coaching, and implementing an offense you would.

The improvisation is great if it works, but it drives coaches crazy if it doesn't.

BTW, will the media start getting on Blank's case about his impetuosity?

He didn't step down he was fired:

ESPN.com news services

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons fired Dan Reeves on Wednesday, dismissing the sixth-winningest coach in NFL history with three games left in a disappointing season.

The Falcons scheduled a morning news conference to announce the stunning move. Reeves had one year left on his contract.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Reeves met with owner Arthur Blank on Tuesday night, and Blank informed Reeves that he intended to hire a new head coach before next season.

Reeves responded that if Blank was going to fire him, Blank should do it immediately.

Reeves' job security had been a subject of speculation as the Falcons fell from the playoffs a year ago to one of the worst teams in the league after quarterback Michael Vick was hurt in the preseason.

Still, the timing of the move was curious, coming only three days after the Falcons (3-10) defeated Carolina 20-14 in overtime in Vick's first start of the season.

Reeves began the season with his 199th career victory, the Falcons winning 27-13 in Dallas.

Atlanta then lost seven in a row before Reeves finally got his 200th win at New York against the Giants on Nov. 9. Afterward, he said, "It's great. But when you've lost seven in a row, it was all about trying to get them to win No. 2."

Vick broke his right leg in the preseason, exposing the Falcons as a one-man team. Initially expected to be out 6 to 10 weeks, the third-year quarterback's rehabilitation dragged on for 3½ months.

At one point, there appeared to be a rift between player and coach. Reeves said Vick needed to get back on the field; Vick responded that he wouldn't play until he was fully recovered.

Vick played the final two series in a Nov. 30 loss to Houston, then finally made his first start last weekend. He rushed for 141 yards -- the third-highest total by a quarterback in NFL history -- and finally brought a little hope to a dismal season.

But Reeves won't be around for the rest of it. He leaves with a career record of 201-174-2, including the playoffs.

Only Don Shula, George Halas, Tom Landry, Curly Lambeau and Chuck Noll won more NFL games.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

Geez.

Stepping down/Fired after a victory? Whoever they name as a new coach will have to deal with the fact that Michael Vick create his own plays on about 50% of the snaps.

Parcells invented football. He could harness Vick, if he wasn't already taken. :puke:

How on earth do you can this guy? Is it his fault Vick got hurt? That's insane. If Snyder did this the press would hang him.

The guy made the playoffs last year, beat GB in Lambeau (1st team EVER!!!!!), almost beat the Fecals in Philthy. Sunday night was a clear example of what his team looks like with a healthy Vick.

Terrible move.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

How on earth do you can this guy? Is it his fault Vick got hurt? That's insane. If Snyder did this the press would hang him.

The guy made the playoffs last year, beat GB in Lambeau (1st team EVER!!!!!), almost beat the Fecals in Philthy. Sunday night was a clear example of what his team looks like with a healthy Vick.

Terrible move.

Agreed. This is an awful move.

Archived