Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Reeves stepping down as Falcons HC

@DCGoldPants

I'm glad for Reeve's sake. He had bypass surgery just a few years ago, and I don't think he's looked very good since. I hope he retires and enjoys his life for a change. I don't imagine suffering through a season like this one did much for his health either.

I agree that Reeves should and will retire. FWIW, Falcons fans down here have been screaming for Reeves's head for years. How much of the Falcons' success last year was really due to good coaching, or was it really just that nobody could catch Vick?

I don't consider Reeves a great coach. A great coach would have done a better job of holding the team together when Vick went out. Not that they should have made they playoffs, but they completely folded.

I also agree that Green would be a good fit in Atlanta. Whoever is the next coach needs to figure out how to get the most out of Vick while keeping him healthy.

I can't say that I'm very familiar with Reeves coaching history but remember when that Falcons team with one good player (Jamal Anderson) got to the super bowl? Heck of a good coaching job that year if there ever was one. You have to give the guy some credit.

Originally posted by GSF

I don't consider Reeves a great coach. A great coach would have done a better job of holding the team together when Vick went out. Not that they should have made they playoffs, but they completely folded.

I also agree that Green would be a good fit in Atlanta. Whoever is the next coach needs to figure out how to get the most out of Vick while keeping him healthy.

The Falcons had so many injuries across the board duct tape and glue couldn't hold that team together this year, it seems Reeves is the scape goat for the disapointing year

Originally posted by SonnyJ

If you were a coach who spent untold hours planning, coaching, and implementing an offense you would.

The improvisation is great if it works, but it drives coaches crazy if it doesn't.

BTW, will the media start getting on Blank's case about his impetuosity?

You beat me to it, probably by a lot, but still. Coaches hate it also because you're undermining their gameplay with your own. That's why I hate a QB calling an audible. Stick with my calls, not your own.

too bad for him. agreed, that it isn't his fault that the #1 playmaker in the NFL gets hurt and their team's season is over before it began. ATL would be a playoff team right now if Vick were healthy all season-- would Reeves still be gone?

here is a post i made in a diff. thread about the vacant HC position in ATL:

funny enough, this morning i was thinking about Bill Snyder as a HC on the pro level and was thinking where would his system work best-- answer: ATL. then i read this afternoon that Dan Reeves got fired. hmmm... no one has mentioned Snyder as a possible pro-HC, but damn he has a fine resume and his program puts out a lot of pro players. i lived in KS when he was first hired and he has done a trememdous job out there. they were the worst program in the country 15 years ago, now they are perennial top-25. and he has to compete/recruit against OK, TX, Nebraska.... he wins with "lesser" talent. of course once he gets them it is realized they are pretty damn good. so he is also a very good evaluator of talent... something we could definitely use.

I think you gotta give our current DC another year to see what he can really do. If after next year the great spurrier experiment still isn't working then you can tear the whole team apart again. As depressing as it sounds, our current players and coaches are our best option at success next year.

Archived