Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If "The Posse" were on the team today? And in their prime

Playaction2Sanders

Sanders would probably be gone. He'd probably want to be at least a starter and probably been an FA in 1990 coming off multiple 1000+ yard seasons and a big day in the SB.  Advantage for us would be his age as even then he was no spring chicken.  Monk would have been peaking when his contract came up so we might have had to cut or trade him to keep Sanders who was 3 years younger but we still probably keep him over Sanders. Clark was young enough when his contract would have come up that we could have set it up to allow us to keep all 3 if Sanders was willing to be number 3. Remember in 1990 when the Sanders' probably would have been a UFA, all of "the Posse" would have been coming off 1000+ yard seasons. Of course, the big problem is that the roster structure might have been different with the FA issue and the way IR is handled these days (IR was changed primarily because the small market owners did not like the way owners like Cooke used it to extend real roster size while the rise of FA with the Cap/Floor has made the roster limits redundant).

To build on that, @Darth Tater - are we sure they would have have shined as much as they did without having generational talent on the offensive line and legitimate threats at running back? The team often had a sack differential totals well into the green back when the Posse was at their peak and quarterbacks usually had some help in the backfield (The 'Skins had 1,000 yard rushers in George Rogers in '86 and Earnest Byner in '90 and '91 - plus Gerald Riggs had a solid season in '89). 

Maybe an extra question would be what if th' Posse were here today WITHOUT Plan B ?

But kinda going off thebluefood, without a running game it would be a less productive bunch; a good team doesn't need top WRs or RBs, just decent, and they feed off each other, keeping defenses off keel. The Posse's best accessory was giving our RBs better opportunities to make things happen.

With the level of talent on the team today, they sorely need a stud RB, and FB.

If the posse was on the team today....Then my teenage years wouldn’t have been so cool ? 

In answering this question look around the league. What teams got the best three WRs going? 

My top three

Steelers - Antonio Brown, Martavius Bryant, JuJu Smith Schuster

Packers - Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Devante Adams

Patriots - Brandin Cooks, Julian Edelman, and Danny Amendola

What I see is teams stacked with rookie contracts and a stud in the mix. I think it would be impossible to have the posse today, and when you consider Bruce’s biggest failure is thinking he can get by with lesser talent it wouldn’t have stayed together. And that makes me sad

the question is what if they were on the team, so saying one of them wouldn't be on the team seems like dodging the question.  Also Plan B had nothing to do with their careers.  They came into the NFL in the USFL supplemental draft with Sanders going to the Pats but being traded to the Skins.  They left after Plan B was done in regular free agency

1 hour ago, carex said:

the question is what if they were on the team, so saying one of them wouldn't be on the team seems like dodging the question.  Also Plan B had nothing to do with their careers.  They came into the NFL in the USFL supplemental draft with Sanders going to the Pats but being traded to the Skins.  They left after Plan B was done in regular free agency

Art was drafted in 1980.

Truth is It would have cost them too much to keep. That’s the answer. If you want a dollar figure it would have depended on if any of them would have given them a discount which I doubt. With no discount probably 50 a year

Look no further than how the Steelers operate to see what likely would have happened. 

Art Monk was great and Gary Clark was very good. Ricky Sanders (my favorite all-time Redskin) was probably no more than a very fast and solid WR. They flourished because of where they played. The Steelers consistently have productivity from their WRs because they have a great offense. I think Brown is obviously a stud, but if Bryant isn't producing (like he did in 2015), then they get big plays from Rogers or Smith-Schuster. It can't be that all those guys are actually great, moreso they play in a good system and have great talent around them. 

It's hard to really know how individually special Monk, Clark, and Sanders were. Was Monk even any "better" than a guy like Al Toon or did he just play on a team where he was going to have time to get open and have a scheme that made it easy for QBs to get him the ball? Same with Clark...how do we know if he was special or if he was just a gritty, tough player who was one of five legit weapons on any snap? As I mentioned before, you probably could have replaced my guy Ricky with 30 other WRs in the NFL and gotten the same numbers he put up as their #3. 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Look no further than how the Steelers operate to see what likely would have happened. 

Art Monk was great and Gary Clark was very good. Ricky Sanders (my favorite all-time Redskin) was probably no more than a very fast and solid WR. They flourished because of where they played. The Steelers consistently have productivity from their WRs because they have a great offense. I think Brown is obviously a stud, but if Bryant isn't producing (like he did in 2015), then they get big plays from Rogers or Smith-Schuster. It can't be that all those guys are actually great, moreso they play in a good system and have great talent around them. 

It's hard to really know how individually special Monk, Clark, and Sanders were. Was Monk even any "better" than a guy like Al Toon or did he just play on a team where he was going to have time to get open and have a scheme that made it easy for QBs to get him the ball? Same with Clark...how do we know if he was special or if he was just a gritty, tough player who was one of five legit weapons on any snap? As I mentioned before, you probably could have replaced my guy Ricky with 30 other WRs in the NFL and gotten the same numbers he put up as their #3. 

One of Monk's best years came when he was the ONLY real target we had,  I would ask what he would have been had he played for the 80s niners. Another factor even many knowledgeable football fans don't seem to consider is that Art Monk was a hell of a blocker, maybe one of the best blocking WR ever! He often played H-Back.

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

One of Monk's best years came when he was the ONLY real target we had,  I would ask what he would have been had he played for the 80s niners. Another factor even many knowledgeable football fans don't seem to consider is that Art Monk was a hell of a blocker, maybe one of the best blocking WR ever! He often played H-Back.

I wasn't really trying to take much away from Monk...I think he'd have been great almost anywhere. I just think these guys were given incredible circumstances in which to play for years with this team and this offense. 

Archived