Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Season May Be Over for Skins' Quarterback

TK

http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031204/APS/312041036

Season May Be Over for Skins' Quarterback

By JOSEPH WHITE

AP Sports Writer

Although it wasn't his intention, Patrick Ramsey made a very solid case for shutting himself down the rest of the season.

The Washington Redskins quarterback didn't practice Thursday, a day after aggravating an old fracture in his right foot. Coach Steve Spurrier called Ramsey "very doubtful" for Sunday's game against the New York Giants.

"It's still pretty sore," said Ramsey, who watched practice while limping in a protective boot. "My goal is to play, but I've got to be able to practice. I've got to be able to be effective. The toughest thing is that it's difficult for me to be effective throwing the football, because I can't push off with that foot."

The foot needs surgery, and the Redskins (4-8) are no longer contending for a playoff spot, so Ramsey could have the operation now rather than wait for the offseason. The procedure requires about two months of rehabilitation.

But Ramsey wants to keep playing because he feels he needs the experience, having started just 16 NFL games. His argument became less than convincing, however, when he spoke of how the injury is affecting his throwing motion.

"I'm torquing my body a lot harder than I would be," Ramsey said. "I'm not throwing it as smoothly as I would be if I were able to push and transfer that momentum. ... I'm throwing a little jerkier than I was, just because I have to."

Such overcompensation could lead to bad habits, wiping out any potential gain from the experience of playing a couple more games. It could also lead to physical problems elsewhere, in the shoulder or back.

"I think that's a very valid concern," Ramsey said.

The irony is that a player who has survived pounding after pounding has been sidelined by an old, previously unknown injury that flared up during his first full season as a starter. Ramsey has been sacked 30 times this season, and he overcame shoulder, forearm and finger injuries to start the first 11 games.

The foot injury is different. It was first noticed during training camp and was a minor irritant most of the season until the discomfort became untenable in the last three weeks. He finally had to miss a start last week against New Orleans.

Ramsey said he will follow the advice of the training staff before deciding whether to end his season prematurely, but it may soon be time to make that decision.

"It's something that won't go away," Ramsey said. "It's going to take more than staying off it a week to get better."

With Ramsey sidelined, Tim Hasselbeck is preparing to make his second consecutive start.

"It's just to a point now where I need to prepare to play as if I'm the guy," Hasselbeck said. "And this is how it's going to be from here on out."

Hasselbeck said he is getting more comfortable with Spurrier's system, particularly with the audibles. He changed the play a few times in his first NFL start, last week's 24-20 loss to New Orleans, but he simply needs more game experience - moreso than Ramsey.

"Almost every aspect of being a quarterback - managing the offense, getting up to the line and having enough time to change the play if we need to - just things like that is where I can improve," Hasselbeck said. "And I'm sure many quarterbacks in the league feel the same way."

Originally posted by Equality

Everyone knew that he wouldn't make it to the end of the season with the punishment he was taking.

Did you read the article? The foot has nothing to do with "the punishment he was taking."

I hope he undergoes surgery now and is in position to fully work out with the team throughout the offseason. Do you realize that with a two-month rehab, he'd be ready to work out again the week after the Super Bowl?

Assuming it's not career threatening, could this injury be a blessing in disguise? TH seems to accel at the things that Ramsey needs to work on. Last time Patrick spent some time on the sideline, he appeared to learn a lot. Maybe some observation time would really help Pat. This would also give Ramsey an extra month of healing up so he can be ready to go in training camp. They'll also get a chance to better evaluate TH. We're out of the race, unless Pat is totally healthy, the smart thing might be to sit him. Just my 2 cents...

"Such overcompensation could lead to bad habits, wiping out any potential gain from the experience of playing a couple more games. It could also lead to physical problems elsewhere, in the shoulder or back."

Could easily be a valid point. Time to measure what could be lost to what could be gained by playing right now.

Originally posted by RF4L

could this injury be career threatening? seriously, the feet are pretty important to an athelete. any orthopaedists around here?

For what it's worth, in the pregame of the Miami game Sonny said that he talked with a former qb who had the same injury, and he said that the guy played with it during a season and that you could play on it. When Sonny said that, it sounded a little like the "Brett Favre - play through pain because you're a football player even if you hurt the team" kind of thing. He was basically repeatedly saying "yes you can play with this injury" with no indication of how well given the amount of pain/discomfort. He said that after the season, however, the guy had surgery and never had a problem with it, so no, I don't think it's career ending.

I say rest him and let Hasselbeck play. Shoot, let Hamsammich have a couple snaps late in games. Why not?

I am just worried. Wasn't it a foot injury that ruined Heath Shuler? One that initially wasn't thought to be too bad, then several surgeries ensued?

Don't want to jinx the man, but that is kind of eerie.

Also, will Hasselbeck = Gus Frerotte?? If we win half our games and he looks good?

Originally posted by SkinsNumberOne

For what it's worth, in the pregame of the Miami game Sonny said that he talked with a former qb who had the same injury, and he said that the guy played with it during a season and that you could play on it. When Sonny said that, it sounded a little like the "Brett Favre - play through pain because you're a football player even if you hurt the team" kind of thing. He was basically repeatedly saying "yes you can play with this injury" with no indication of how well given the amount of pain/discomfort. He said that after the season, however, the guy had surgery and never had a problem with it, so no, I don't think it's career ending.

Thanks, numero uno.:)

Archived