Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tailgate TV Setup

Cooooley47

With so many late games this year, I'm thinking of trying to get the early games on TV for while we are tailgating.  Has anyone been successful in this??  I was thinking of just getting a TV and an antenna, but then I also came across satellite dishes that you can setup that doesn't look too complicated. I also considered streaming somehow with NFL Sunday ticket, but I wouldn't think that would go over too well with so many people in one area. Would easily get annoyed if the feed kept cutting in and out. Anyone have any experience in this?? 

I can't talk about doing it at a game but I know about doing it in an RV.  I recommend the Dish satellite.  I've heard lots of good things.  They sell different levels and packages so you'd have to see what would work best for you.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/king-tailgater-3-automatic-satellite-tv-antenna/94910&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp94910&sc_intid=94910?utm_campaign=SC_Shopping_Low&affiliateid=6338&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiLDMBRDFARIsACNmiX8km4pZbqHnG_S8eUXiyQfllq2BMpBZyZ_07gXhosWJY2KcZkbzeh0aAiJhEALw_wcB

6 hours ago, Cooooley47 said:

With so many late games this year, I'm thinking of trying to get the early games on TV for while we are tailgating.  Has anyone been successful in this??  I was thinking of just getting a TV and an antenna, but then I also came across satellite dishes that you can setup that doesn't look too complicated. I also considered streaming somehow with NFL Sunday ticket, but I wouldn't think that would go over too well with so many people in one area. Would easily get annoyed if the feed kept cutting in and out. Anyone have any experience in this?? 

Over the air antenna will get you plenty of channels. Me and my cousin use that method all the time in the tailgate park n walk lot off Barlowe.  42" TV plugged into the back of his SUV and the OTA antenna attached to the roof. 4, 5, 7, 9, 13 (WJZ in Baltimore-CBS), 20, 26, 32, 50, 53, 56, 66 and a bunch of other channels, including the 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4 digital channels associated with each of the main 4, 5, 7, & 9 channels.

8 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I can't talk about doing it at a game but I know about doing it in an RV.  I recommend the Dish satellite.  I've heard lots of good things.  They sell different levels and packages so you'd have to see what would work best for you.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/king-tailgater-3-automatic-satellite-tv-antenna/94910&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp94910&sc_intid=94910?utm_campaign=SC_Shopping_Low&affiliateid=6338&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiLDMBRDFARIsACNmiX8km4pZbqHnG_S8eUXiyQfllq2BMpBZyZ_07gXhosWJY2KcZkbzeh0aAiJhEALw_wcB

Thanks!  I have DirecTV at home, so I'll have to see if DirecTV has anything similar.  Had a bad experience with Dish and will never use their services again...I'm stubborn like that, haha.

7 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Over the air antenna will get you plenty of channels. Me and my cousin use that method all the time in the tailgate park n walk lot off Barlowe.  42" TV plugged into the back of his SUV and the OTA antenna attached to the roof. 4, 5, 7, 9, 13 (WJZ in Baltimore-CBS), 20, 26, 32, 50, 53, 56, 66 and a bunch of other channels, including the 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4 digital channels associated with each of the main 4, 5, 7, & 9 channels.

Good to know!  It would be awesome to get a satellite to work so we could potentially watch any game we want, but the easiest most convenient step is probably the antenna.  Good to know that you can easily get so many channels.  Thanks!

The cost of satellite is kind of dumb when you factor in how many times you use it. You can't turn it on/off, you pay for a month at a time. So for 8 games you'll pay for 5 months. It's stupid the way they do it.

At least that's the way it worked for rvs last I heard.

Just outside of dc I'd go for an HD antennae. They produce higher quality than anything else anyways (uncompressed signal unlike all the other methods) and it's a one time fee. You might need some sort of extension setup to get it where you need it.

Also a generator.

I was going to do this now that I have a truck... but I'm not sure how many more years I'll be doing this...

Also, I've used NFL mobile with the free live streaming we get as a perk for having season tickets and cast it to the tv.

Eats up your data and you have to do some hoaky tricks to cast because they disabled the built in chrome cast.

3 hours ago, tshile said:

The cost of satellite is kind of dumb when you factor in how many times you use it. You can't turn it on/off, you pay for a month at a time. So for 8 games you'll pay for 5 months. It's stupid the way they do it.

At least that's the way it worked for rvs last I heard.

Just outside of dc I'd go for an HD antennae. They produce higher quality than anything else anyways (uncompressed signal unlike all the other methods) and it's a one time fee. You might need some sort of extension setup to get it where you need it.

Also a generator.

I was going to do this now that I have a truck... but I'm not sure how many more years I'll be doing this...

Also, I've used NFL mobile with the free live streaming we get as a perk for having season tickets and cast it to the tv.

Eats up your data and you have to do some hoaky tricks to cast because they disabled the built in chrome cast.

Yea, I think you're right, antenna is probably the way to go as really there are only 3 late games.  Would be nice to watch the pregame show for 1:00 games too though.  I do have a truck with an outlet, so I can use that for power. 

I will probably get the NFL Sunday ticket again this year.  Was able to get it free last year, will try again this year.  I thought about streaming it, but figured the signal might not be too good with so many people in one area.

13 hours ago, Cooooley47 said:

Thanks!  I have DirecTV at home, so I'll have to see if DirecTV has anything similar.  Had a bad experience with Dish and will never use their services again...I'm stubborn like that, haha.

Good to know!  It would be awesome to get a satellite to work so we could potentially watch any game we want, but the easiest most convenient step is probably the antenna.  Good to know that you can easily get so many channels.  Thanks!

Im over 20 miles outside DC and a little more than that from Bmore and stuck behind a hill. Last time I ran a channel scan,  I got over 60 channels. 

Archived