Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMV DVR-alert: Documentary on Fans airing on NBC4 Saturday, 8/5

Dissident2

I see there's a new Redskins-related documentary airing tonight (Saturday, August 5) at 7 p.m. locally in the DMV-area on NBC4. It's called: "85 Years: Our Team, Our Tradition, Our Family" and seems to be about a wide variety of crazed Redskin fans. You know football is coming when these things start to air. Wonder if any of you guys will be appearing on this thing? 

Anyway, FYI to those interested. 

My problem with these specials made by Redskins Media is that they will repackage stock/dated footage as something new. They stick to things they filmed in the 2004-2007 era and don't bother to put much of a twist. They work with NBC4. NBC4 HAS to have cool segments or footage with Michael/Vance that they can bother to throw in from the past or even from special moments up to at least 2007.

@Dissident2 Thanks man!  That is certainly going above & beyond - props! :)

34 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

It is a locally-made, fanboy special.

It's not going to be but so good. :) 

Word.  For all of you Siskell & Ebert (sp) type movie critics out there...relax.  This is the kinda stuff you get in August to assuage your Football Withdrawal.  And I quote:

Do not go cold-turkey. Instead, wean yourself. Watch highlights or entire games on YouTube or your DVR, tapering off until you're feeling better. Share your thoughts and feelings with fellow fans. Play a little Madden 13. And remember, this too shall pass. The 2013 season begins in just seven months. Chin up, sport.

"You're just going to have to basically tough it out until football starts up again," Halaris said.

See?  This stuff (the little local "Our team is Great!" shows, all of those preview shows--College & Pro, the Preseason rankings, Preseason Games, all of it) is just to help nurture our souls until we reach that Week 1 climax.  

Take it easy, eh?

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

i think its harder for the DC area to get hyped up about the redskins when you have a World Series contender doing whatever it can to win a title

Touché.  

However, once Redskins Football begins its Season in earnest, I expect that to change.  The Skins have always moved the needle around these parts.  And I'm not hatin' on the Nats; but September baseball takes a backseat to The NFL every time. Proof https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/story/2011-10-05/baseball-football-nfl-viewership-fans/50671798/1 it's an older link, but you get the point.

I think this link puts things into perspective

https://storify.com/ceaselessf117/most-popular-sports-teams-by-u-s-market-yahoo-voic

4. Baltimore/Washington: Washington Redskins

Well, the Redskins have been in the Baltimore-Washington area the longest by about seventeen years--to the Orioles. If you go to the next-longest team after that, the Wizards, the 'Skins have them beat by 26 years. They've had a pretty good head start for the area (for the record, the Capitals is 37 years, the Ravens 59, and the Nationals 68), even if the Colts still played in Baltimore. Helping their cause was the 33 years where the O's were the only MLB team in the area, since that team focused more on the Maryland fan base.

With that said, they do have a large following in the South that spreads beyond D.C. The NFL has plenty of Southern teams by this point, but there's no question: Hail to the Redskins when it comes to the Beltway.

Rank of the teams:

Washington Redskins

Baltimore Ravens

Washington Capitals

Washington Nationals

Baltimore Orioles

Washington Wizards

Hail Vic-to-ree!

5 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

you do realize you are comparing to 16 games to a 162 game season. I bet you when the Nats are in the WS chase in Oct, the attention is on them in this city

Especially because this Nats team is poised to go further in the post season than teams in the past. They are not only bulldozing through a weak division but they're playing historically good baseball against the best in the National League (just took a three game series against the defending World Series champion Cubs). If this team seriously contends for a pennant, it's going to be playoff baseball vs. early season football. 

Even if the Redskins get off to a quick start, I can't imagine that will turn too much attention away from the Nats because Redskins fans with long memories know early season surges don't mean anything when it comes to the Redskins. 1996 and 2008 alone should remind us of that (not to mention the way the '78 and '79 teams stumbled down the stretch).

Back to the subject at hand: thank you for sharing the video, @Dissident2. Will give it a watch tonight before bed or tomorrow if there's a lull at the office :) 

10 hours ago, thebluefood said:

en if the Redskins get off to a quick start, I can't imagine that will turn too much attention away from the Nats because Redskins fans with long memories know early season surges don't mean anything when it comes to the Redskins. 1996 and 2008 alone should remind us of that (not to mention the way the '78 and '79 teams stumbled down the stretch).

Doesn't matter. This is Redskins Country.

Come early September, and the first week of the season, you think folks will be spending that Sunday watching a Nationals game, or watching the Redskins take on their division rivals, the Eagles?

Football attendance and ratings are down, but it is still king in our culture. Right now, anyway. Way more people are interested in football than baseball. When the Redskins make the postseason, the whole mid-Atlantic lights up about it. Can't say the say thing about the Nationals (who haven't exactly been that great in the postseason either). :) 

I could see some people not really liking the video that much, what works for some doesn't always work for others.

But personally I liked it. Sure, its not made by ESPN or Fox or ABC,  but it shows a lot of fans and their different perspectives being Redskins fans. You can actually see the little girl in the beginning who talked about Norman coming to the team, and her excitement; I think a lot of fans miss that genuine deep down love for the team because of present day events which frankly does turn off quite a few people, myself included.

Regardless whether you liked it or not, the 2017-18 season is rapidly approaching, and speaking for myself, I can sense a little bit more excitement and anticipation every day, hoping that this will be the year that the chips fall into place and the Lombardi trophy will come back, home, to every single Redskins fan's heart, where it belongs.

On 8/9/2017 at 7:49 AM, skins island connection said:

I could see some people not really liking the video that much, what works for some doesn't always work for others.

But personally I liked it. Sure, its not made by ESPN or Fox or ABC,  but it shows a lot of fans and their different perspectives being Redskins fans. You can actually see the little girl in the beginning who talked about Norman coming to the team, and her excitement;

That girl was fantastic, watching the games live in Israel. And the Native American gentleman near the end also had a powerful story. Too bad he actually works for the team, as detractors will no doubt point to that as a way to lessen what he said. 

Archived