Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Wine Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

So, the wife and I were talking about making our own wine.  Being complete newbs we would love tips/suggestions.  It seems a lot easier than making beer.

Some questions I have are is it better to use grapes versus juice concentrate?  We haven't tried to start growing our own grapes and don't really have the space to do so.

Also feel free to post wine recommendations as far as wine that is already bottled. 

On 5/6/2017 at 9:22 PM, twa said:

I have grapes, but making wine seems work. (looks to be a good crop this year)

Stepmother used to make it ,mainly berries though.

Yeah, the best way to do it would be grow my own grapes.  But I don't think I have the space to grow 85-90 lbs of grapes required to make 5 gallons of wine (which is what the standard equipment makes).  I read that one pound of grapes is approximately 80 grapes.  So 80 x 90 = 7200 grapes..........that's a lot of damn grapes :ols:

On 5/6/2017 at 9:28 PM, twa said:

Juice em and add sugar is all I recall then a jug with a balloon for a lid

add

and wine yeast

you can do the more complicated way

http://dish.allrecipes.com/how-to-make-wine-at-home/

I've been researching the process and it seems pretty easy when compared to home brewing beer.  From what I can gather, you mash the grapes into a plastic bucket, pulp, skins and juice.  Add sugar or honey and wine yeast and cover the top with a towel or cheese cloth to start the primary fermentation.  Then after 3-7 days (7 being the most) you siphon it into the 5 gallon glass carboy and then put in an airlock and let it sit for 2 months.  This step gets the wine out leaving behind the sediment at the bottom and dead yeast that dies off during the process.  Then you bottle and let it sit longer if you can.

I'm looking into the kits where its pure concentrate since I don't think I can get 90 lbs of fresh grapes from anywhere.  They say some vineyards may sell them.  I've read to not use grocery store grapes.

On 5/6/2017 at 9:25 PM, Kosher Ham said:

All I know is that the process takes time. 

Knew a guy that made his own in Boston. 

No idea about how it works though. 

It seems like the biggest component is time, mainly waiting for it to ferment and age.  I tried homebrewing beer right after I graduated college, was still living in our apartment (would have been in 1998-99).  I screwed up the entire batch because of contamination when bottling.  I had the kit and my dad who at this point was kegging his own homebrew and had made some excellent beers, basically did my first batch for me, walking me through it, explaining everything.  So it made it into the carboy to ferment perfectly.  They often say it's nearly impossible to screw up the first batch.

Well, when it was time to bottle, my buddy came over to help me with it, we were drinking all afternoon and when it came time to siphon the beer from the carboy into the bottling bucket, we couldn't get it to work with the method where you put some water in the tubing and use gravity to get it to start flowing out.  So my buddy did it the old fashion way and sucked out the beer through the tubing until it started pouring out into the bottling bucket lol.  

Needless to say, every single drop of beer passed through getting contaminated just before it went into the bottle.  Entire batch ruined.  I tried it one more time on my own and screwed up so much during the process that I dumped it before it even got to the bottling process.  Never tried again.

But with beer, there is a lot of steps that require boiling, steeping temps, ice baths, etc.  It's really a lot of work and requires perfection.  Wine seems a lot easier and now they make better siphoning equipment lol

Just now, twa said:

You can do the lazy method with frozen concentrate, sugar, yeast and water.

Might be Boones farm quality though :ols:

Yeah, I've read that you can make it from Motts grape juice sold in grocery stores, or the frozen concentrate.  I think I'll stick with looking into the kits lol.

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

That's what you get for trying to make a white wine. Racist. hahaha. 

I wonder if anyone has made a white wine and named it White Privilege or White Guilt?  

On a serious note, I prefer red wines to white wines based on my limited experience drinking wine.  My wife is the wine drinker, I'm the beer drinker.  I always drink some of her wine when she pours a glass though, trying to find one I like.  She mostly drinks red wines and prefers them dry, which I do too, not big into the fruity taste.

You just sold me on a gas station wine or beer. Let's make it happen. 

Seriously though, She likes the fruity stuff. I can not drink very many white wines. 

I'll accept tannin in my wine. I also prefer red and even white wines that are dry. 

I'm more of a beer guy because I can not act like an idiot when I am simply sipping on some wine. 

Throw something else in the mix...rolling the dice. 

I'll play. 

I like dry reds from France and Spain. I have six cases I'm moving. Three are half bottles of Chateauneuf Du Pape very expensive, 2010 that I have been saving, I have a case of Spanish reds of various vintners and years, a case of mostly California Russian River pinot noir, and a mixed case of whites, champagne, and rose. 

I started buying half bottles when I couldn't finish a whole one without cooking something with the remainder. I don't drink that much anyway, and not since last June. I look forward to drinking again after I move.

I was buying my collection through wine.com. 

Archived