Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The College Bound Athlete (share, ask, boast)

AsburySkinsFan

• 2 months later...

Dinner last night was a crappy high school concession stand hot dog that looked like it was left over from the Nixon Administration....

...dessert however was delicious! 

36567870860_05b506c772_b.jpg

Our boys beat cross-town rival for their annual Constitution Cup match-up! On paper Danville was favored to win, they had all of the confidence coming in and were smack talking through social media about taking the Cup back. From the opening kick our boys fought and then finally started to wear them down. 

Final 3-2 for the good guys!!

That's my son with the trophy.

Best part was that the girl's played Danville in game two to complete the sweep!

Here's the write up in the paper.

http://m.amnews.com/2017/09/01/boyle-boys-soccer-wins-thrilling-5-goal-game-vs-danville/

On 4/26/2017 at 11:14 AM, dchogs said:

and i'm with you here.  i work at a school, and it drives me crazy when student-athletes could realistically be accepted into highly/most selective liberal arts colleges or universities but choose to go to quantifiably lesser schools just so that they could play "Division I" sports.   the cost factor is usually a non-issue, as most of those really good colleges have need-blind and 100% of need financial aid policies that would rival (or likely beat) athletic scholarships potentially earned.

my daughter is going to attend the best college (for her) that she can get into (that we can afford).  if she can play sports there, great.  if she can use sports to get into that college, great.  if not, no big deal. 

This is the best post in this entire thread, IMO.   For most students, the advantage of being a good athlete is that it can get you recruited to a top academic school, and get you that edge in admissions.    And those schools provide incredible financial aid to anyone outside the top 10 percent of incomes.  

I might add that the time demands on Division I athletes are too high, and except in rare occasions, rob the student athlete of some of the most significant academic aspects of college.  Division I athletes are pushed into easier classes, non-demanding majors, etc.  Unless you are the next NFL or NBA star, non scholarship college sports give you all the pluses of athletics while allowing you to get the best education possible.   

Nothing is more frustrating to me than to see a student with excellent academics ignore the best academic schools because they care more about their sport.

6 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I know there's a lot of rain in the forecast, but seriously coming in here to piss on the parades of others simply isn't wanted nor welcome. If you guys want to create a thread where you **** and complain about the state of collegiate athletics then may I suggest you go start that one.

Wait - who pissed on what?  

Congrats to your son on his game - but I didn't say anything about him at all.  

I actually have experience in this area.  My kid is an athlete, was recruited by multiple colleges, is going to one of them now, and when we went through this recruiting process we learned a ton about it.   How was my opinion offensive?   

Just sounds like more "I know better than you do" BS. I get you have your experience and feel you know what's best, but a D1 shot for an athlete is an excellent opportunity for many athletes. Not all are Rhodes Scholars, most are average students who are looking to leverage their athletic ability into an academic opportunity that wouldn't otherwise be available. For EVERY student athlete the choice of where they go is a difficult one, to crap on their decision is irritating at best.

6 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Just sounds like more "I know better than you do" BS. I get you have your experience and feel you know what's best, but a D1 shot for an athlete is an excellent opportunity for many athletes. Not all are Rhodes Scholars, most are average students who are looking to leverage their athletic ability into an academic opportunity that wouldn't otherwise be available. For EVERY student athlete the choice of where they go is a difficult one, to crap on their decision is irritating at best.

Read more carefully.   Yes a DI scholarship opportunity is a very good thing for many students.  I'm talking about the student athletes for whom there may be better academic options, ones that offer even better financial aid, but they reject them or they don't even look for them.  

I'm talking about students who FAIL, as you say, to "leverage their athletic ability into an academic opportunity" that is available to them, and instead select a far worse academic opportunity because they care about sports more than academics.  

I'm talking about parents who place all their chips on an athletic scholarship (to any college who cares which one), and let their kids slack off on the grades to do more sports, not realizing how slim a chance that scholarship really is and how much more likely you are to get good financial aid if you have good grades.

I'm talking about students (and parents, and coaches) who forget that whatever college you may go to, the real point of being there is to get your education, and athletics have to remain secondary to that primary purpose (unless maybe you REALLY have a legitimate chance of making a living as a professional in the NFL or NBA).  

Informing people about the different level of coaches' expectations for DI and DIII athletes, and how it can impact your education, is not elitist or offensive.  I know Di athletes who had their class schedules entirely selected by their coach.  Who were pressured to leave majors where the workload was too high and might take some of their attention away from the sport.  Who were told to drop science classes because they had a lab section that might interfere with attending every single minute of practice one day a week.  Academics have to come first.      

• 1 month later...

A busy night for the boy! They just played their district championship game. Here’s the set up, this us against their crosstown rival that they beat for the Constitution Cup (bragging rights) earlier in the season. These boys all know each other and about half of them have at one point or another played on club with each other. The first thing trained eyes are going to see is that the keeper distribution was nearly all punts, yes, and it had to be. We’ve had to injuries to our two midfield wings and the guys off the bench would normally be JV players but our bench is short this season. As such their ability to play out of the backfield is limited, and against this team nearly impossible. The match result was not what we wanted, but the highlights it provided are nice and plentiful.

FYI, there is no volume, that is a college coach recommendation.

• 5 months later...

Well my son found a home last Fall with an excellent club out of Northern Kentucky, just outside of Cincinnatti.

I also got a new camera system which a million times better and stable which makes the videos look awesome! Here are the highlight videos from his first two games this season.

Kings Hammer 1-1 Lexington Football Club

This one ended as a draw, but we dominated possession, they equalized on a near post squeaker late in game.

Kings Hammer 3-2 United 1996 FC

IMO we played down to this team, but I will grant that they had some nice speed in places. This was a team my son tried out for last year, and they chose the club director’s son as their goalkeeper, so a little bit of vindication here.

• 2 months later...

It is with a great deal of parental pride that I get to tell you all that Ethan, has been promoted to the highest team in his soccer academy!!

This time last year was pretty frustrating, he had been passed over by two different clubs who chose keepers they knew, which left him without a club going into Fall. We weren’t sure what we were going to do until some friends mentioned that Kings Hammer might be an option. Turns out that Kings is one of the elite clubs in the Cincy area and attracts a very deep talent pool. Ethan worked out with the team and was invited to be part of the Academy’s 2nd team (out of three) which he accepted. At that time we never imagined what a blessing it would be to be ignored by those two other clubs!

So today after a lot of hard work on the practice field and in games, staying for double practices, learning a new playing system and style, and a lot of commute time to Cincinnati, Ethan was offered a roster spot on the Academy’s 1st team! This is a huge accomplishment as only TWO members of the 2nd team were offered promotions to the 1st team!
His new team not only plays at the highest level in the state, but also won their regional title and has been invited to play at the National level! Needless to say that I’m very proud of this young man, and I’m thrilled he is finding success in something he loves!

41583751565_090585d7ce_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@Elessar78

Probably a better place for this discussion, responding to your last comment about the OPD weekend.

My son will be playing U-18 next Spring, it’s amazing how big these guys all are at this age. We’re focusing on ID camps this summer, he’s a rising Junior so coaches can’t have recruiting talks yet. Which IMO is BS he has classmates with same grad dates who play football who have already received scholarship offers. And yet he has to wait until Sept 1st?!

21 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

@Elessar78

Probably a better place for this discussion, responding to your last comment about the OPD weekend.

My son will be playing U-18 next Spring, it’s amazing how big these guys all are at this age. We’re focusing on ID camps this summer, he’s a rising Junior so coaches can’t have recruiting talks yet. Which IMO is BS he has classmates with same grad dates who play football who have already received scholarship offers. And yet he has to wait until Sept 1st?!

Stay on top of his grades! I got a buddy, coaching colleague—his kid played for ODP Regional squad that went to a tournament in Iceland this year, named best player in the tournament, offered a spot by DC United... his college outlook isn't looking great because his grades suck. 

29 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Stay on top of his grades! I got a buddy, coaching colleague—his kid played for ODP Regional squad that went to a tournament in Iceland this year, named best player in the tournament, offered a spot by DC United... his college outlook isn't looking great because his grades suck. 

Yeah, we're hovering at a 3.0 right now, working with the school and coaches on a tutoring program to bring it up. He's a good kid but it's difficult setting good study habits that will take his grades to the next level. If it's structured time then it happens, we've seen it, but without a formal structure stuff gets missed and tests get forgot, which puts him at a B when he could have an A.

BTW, any idea on why it seems some sports have open access to players whereas soccer (in my experience) does not?

34 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

BTW, any idea on why it seems some sports have open access to players whereas soccer (in my experience) does not?

3.0 is good. In most schools that makes him eligible for academic monies and they like that as a cutoff. Hopefully he can push it higher.

I asked one of my college coach colleague, if you have more questions let me know. 

It all depends on what level the college is (NCAA 1,2,3 or NAIA).  The contact rules for d1 and d2 are that they can’t talk to players beyond sending general camp information until they are juniors.  As a 2020 grad they are able to talk to him either now or September 1st.  I want to say that as of June 15th they could contact him.

In terms of offers, a scholarship offer can be made at any time but nothing is binding until signing day of their senior year (first Wednesday in February).  Everything is verbal commitment until then.  

For d3 and naia the contact rules are less strict and they can contact at anytime.  There are no athletic scholarships in d3 but there is a lot of grant money and academic scholarships.  Naia can offer athletic scholarships.  

The timeline for recruiting boys soccer is also not as early as girls or other sports depending on the level (top 25 d1 programs versus everyone else).  

7 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

3.0 is good. In most schools that makes him eligible for academic monies and they like that as a cutoff. Hopefully he can push it higher.

I asked one of my college coach colleague, if you have more questions let me know. 

It all depends on what level the college is (NCAA 1,2,3 or NAIA).  The contact rules for d1 and d2 are that they can’t talk to players beyond sending general camp information until they are juniors.  As a 2020 grad they are able to talk to him either now or September 1st.  I want to say that as of June 15th they could contact him.

In terms of offers, a scholarship offer can be made at any time but nothing is binding until signing day of their senior year (first Wednesday in February).  Everything is verbal commitment until then.  

For d3 and naia the contact rules are less strict and they can contact at anytime.  There are no athletic scholarships in d3 but there is a lot of grant money and academic scholarships.  Naia can offer athletic scholarships.  

The timeline for recruiting boys soccer is also not as early as girls or other sports depending on the level (top 25 d1 programs versus everyone else).  

See, that's what I keep hearing and reading, and it must have been a verbal offer, because I know for certain that one of my son's classmates tweeted that he had received his first offer from University of Louisville for football. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it sounds like he's over-selling what he actually got.

Coaches started contacting my son this summer with ID camp schedules etc, and we're using CaptainU.com for contacting info which is actually pretty handy, no more searching endlessly for purposefully hidden email addresses. The nice thing is that we're seeing responses when we reach out. His profile is being viewed, he's being added to prospect lists, and they are sending us camp info, which as this point is pretty much all we can expect. It's a bit of a pain to be in a one way conversation, but in a lot of respects this is EXACTLY like the marketing I do for my real estate listings. 

That said, I NEVER thought I'd be marketing my son, and yet here I am.

On another note, I see why parents of pro-athletes have such a hard time stepping back from the process once the agents etc take over, every step of the way we're involved in and helping direct the player's management.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, bearrock said:

Seriously though, best of luck to your son ASF!

Thank you. 

This whole thing is pretty sureeal, and when you’re right in the middle of a system that is itself a national controversy (pay-to-play). Twitter and social media is busy hating on anyone who takes part, but the ONLY way for a player to advance beyond high school is to participate.

I’m not sure about football, but with soccer, baseball, and basketball the only way to be seen at the next level is club sports. College recruiters which are the assistant coaches don’t go to high school games on any kind of regularity...and by that I mean it doesn’t happen unless you live very close to the university, and they are actively recruiting the player. But you can’t blame them really, they can see 1 or 2 players at a high school game, OR they can go to one of these showcase tournaments and see hundreds of players who will be playing in college.

4 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Thank you. 

This whole thing is pretty sureeal, and when you’re right in the middle of a system that is itself a national controversy (pay-to-play). Twitter and social media is busy hating on anyone who takes part, but the ONLY way for a player to advance beyond high school is to participate.

I’m not sure about football, but with soccer, baseball, and basketball the only way to be seen at the next level is club sports. College recruiters which are the assistant coaches don’t go to high school games on any kind of regularity...and by that I mean it doesn’t happen unless you live very close to the university, and they are actively recruiting the player. But you can’t blame them really, they can see 1 or 2 players at a high school game, OR they can go to one of these showcase tournaments and see hundreds of players who will be playing in college.

Just out of curiosity, as a parent, what's your view on the US university driven system vs European club driven system?  I guess I don't see enough of what goes on behind the scenes in either system to really have an educated view on which would be better.

42 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Just out of curiosity, as a parent, what's your view on the US university driven system vs European club driven system?  I guess I don't see enough of what goes on behind the scenes in either system to really have an educated view on which would be better.

Depends on what the objective is.

If the objective is to leverage soccer for an education then college route is the way to go. 

If we’re talking about long term player development then the European academy system is the better option. 

A couple things hold university development back; 1) length of schedule, 2) training time allowed. College soccer is held back by the US seasonal tradition and pretty severely limits teams in how much they can train. The length of their schedules is also pretty harshly limited in comparison. It’s basically the equivalent of a player who only plays Fall soccer developing against a player who plays nearly year round. And the Euro system shows that our insistence on off seasons is laughable. 

If the world played Football and basketball the way they play soccer then they’d be killing us inside of a decade. And if we played soccer the way they do then we’d be competing now as opposed to 10 years from now if we’re lucky.

So as a parent I try to keep the options open as much as possible, I know my son can play at the collegiate level, that’s evident. The question remains to be seen if  he can play at the professional level. Fortunately, those opportunities exist and aren’t cut-off if he chooses college first. I’m not a fan of the USL (second division) right now primarily because many of the teams treat their players like ****, with low pay, no insurance, and exploitative contracts.

There is a university in England that is prospecting him, so we’ll see how that plays out.

• 3 months later...

Ok, it's been awhile since I've posted in this thread.

Ethan gets his first start today at the Disney ESPN Soccer Showcase. Yesterday there are 40+ college coaches at the game...today there will be more and the University of Kentucky GK coach is here to see Ethan. 

The game starts at 1:30pm and I feel like I'm gonna puke. 

Archived