Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The College Bound Athlete (share, ask, boast)

AsburySkinsFan

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Right, which is why the coaches and recruiters still all show-up to the showcase tournaments. Everyone keeps saying AAU is dead yet the top prospects keep coming from the AAU ranks. Because that's where the best basketball players are. 

Again, talk to college coaches.  Not AAU coaches.  I've seen this spell before.  College coaches get out when they are allowed to.  Which is they ONLY thing that keeps All About Us relevant.  They can't get out during the high school season, yet they still care way more about what the high school coach says than the AAU stats.

Also, if you are chasing a basketball scholarship, I really hope you're dam good.  Just not much available, it's a foolish exercise for 90% of the population.

I think top prospects are a whole different group of kids—they'd still be found regardless of where they played. 

IMO, you have to think if AAU is appropriate for the other 99% who won't be the lottery pick or the college star. As with other sport parents, no offense, a bit of panic sets in that their kid won't be identified unless they are are on the most high profile stage. From a college coach's perspective, of which I have a lot of colleagues and friends, the AAU/ID camps are there and convenient but it's not exactly an efficient system. You're there along with 3 dozen other colleges competing for the attention of the same few kids. But it's a good way to see a lot of good players on a limited travel budget. 

What matters a lot is relationships. College coach will call me—you got anyone good? Yeah, so and so is a stud. But more importantly, watching an AAU game will never give you as deep an insight into character as reference from someone whose judgement you trust. 

6 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

Again, talk to college coaches.  Not AAU coaches.  I've seen this spell before.  College coaches get out when they are allowed to.  Which is they ONLY thing that keeps All About Us relevant.  They can't get out during the high school season, yet they still care way more about what the high school coach says than the AAU stats.

Also, if you are chasing a basketball scholarship, I really hope you're dam good.  Just not much available, it's a foolish exercise for 90% of the population.

Agreed on basketball scholaships at least for men. Women have an easier shot. Men's soccer however is the equivalent of women's basketball in that respect though. That's one area where title IX works in his favor.

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

Agreed on basketball scholaships at least for men. Women have an easier shot. Men's soccer however is the equivalent of women's basketball in that respect though. That's one area where title IX works in his favor.

anyone with daughters?  get them playing lacrosse.  We have girls getting lacrosse scholarships in our area that have barely played. 

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

not sure how title ix works in his favor here?  help me.

I can't tell you how many kids and their parents I have seen that fall under the travel coach spell.  Cut check after check after check for "exposure" opportunities. 

What I can tell you is how many kids I have seen get an athletic scholarship.  The difference in those 2 numbers is telling.

this travel ball mentality is creeping into football, at least around here.

I actually had a 7th grade girl at my school explain to me that her 3rd grade brother just switched travel football teams for more exposure.  smh

this might be the worst....charging parents all this money to play a sport they have no business playing 2 seasons of.

There is no doubt in my mind that right now AAU is the best shot for men's basketball.  Athletes get discovered sure, but if you want to consistently compete against the best of the best, AAU is the way to go.  

The problem I have with AAU is it doesn't teach basketball.  All of the good youth coaches are in HS, while all the promoters are in AAU.  Kobe talks about it a lot.  There's no finesse anymore to the game, it's all and-1 crossovers and dunks.  Which is fine to get noticed, but it does little to prepare these kids for the next level (or NBA).  The 1 and done rule in college has created a system where athletes get noticed in AAU ball for athleticism and flashy plays, are expected to develop in one year at the college level with actual coaches, and then make it to the NBA.  That's not a good strategy for the long term health of basketball, if you ask me.  

2 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

The 1 and done rule in college has created a system where athletes get noticed in AAU ball for athleticism and flashy plays, are expected to develop in one year at the college level with actual coaches, and then make it to the NBA.  That's not a good strategy for the long term health of basketball, if you ask me.  

So true, hell I stopped watching all basketball when they dropped it down to 2 years in college.  Not much of a team game anymore.  

55 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

There is no doubt in my mind that right now AAU is the best shot for men's basketball.  Athletes get discovered sure, but if you want to consistently compete against the best of the best, AAU is the way to go.  

The problem I have with AAU is it doesn't teach basketball.  All of the good youth coaches are in HS, while all the promoters are in AAU.  Kobe talks about it a lot.  There's no finesse anymore to the game, it's all and-1 crossovers and dunks.  Which is fine to get noticed, but it does little to prepare these kids for the next level (or NBA).  The 1 and done rule in college has created a system where athletes get noticed in AAU ball for athleticism and flashy plays, are expected to develop in one year at the college level with actual coaches, and then make it to the NBA.  That's not a good strategy for the long term health of basketball, if you ask me.  

This x 1000.  

He colleges my my daughter is considering arent going to send women to the WNBA.  They will value the team play, tough D, and court IQ.  Her AAU coach wanted the girls to play the aggressive, 1v1 game and didn't appreciate that my daughter was making the right pass or playing awesome help defense. He benched her for not taking bad shots (in his words, not being aggressive enough). 

We have found a team that is closer to home with a coach that plays a team game- even if it means they lose in AAU tournaments to more athletic or 1v1 programs.  Happy with the change so far.  We will see come game time but we are hopeful. 

22 hours ago, Major Harris said:

not sure how title ix works in his favor here?  help me.

Every dollar a school spends on a male athlete an equal dollar must be spent must be spent on a female athlete. This was the leveling field to give rise to female collegiate athletics because of the me dominated athletic scene. Far soccer the roles get reversed, by-in-large female soccer programs are stronger than male programs which means that title ix works for male soccer players in the same way it works for female basketball players.

21 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Every dollar a school spends on a male athlete an equal dollar must be spent must be spent on a female athlete. This was the leveling field to give rise to female collegiate athletics because of the me dominated athletic scene. Far soccer the roles get reversed, by-in-large female soccer programs are stronger than male programs which means that title ix works for male soccer players in the same way it works for female basketball players.

Title ix it reads that you must provide equal opportunity for those who have historically been denied such, i.e. females. 

1 hour ago, Major Harris said:

Title ix it reads that you must provide equal opportunity for those who have historically been denied such, i.e. females. 

Been doing a lot of reading on this lately. Title IX requires equal access and scholarships, but the NCAA is mucking it up apparently. This article was from 2012, anyone know of any changes since that time.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/title-ix/article/7959799/the-silent-enemy-men-sports

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Been doing a lot of reading on this lately. Title IX requires equal access and scholarships, but the NCAA is mucking it up apparently.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/title-ix/article/7959799/the-silent-enemy-men-sports

Title ix has been fabulous overall.  It has had its desired effect and that can not be denied.  But like everything it has had a few negative side effects. And right now is a confusing time because, well what do we do with it?  You can almost argue that the tables have turned but the law hasn't. 

4 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I thought so too, it cleared up some misconceptions I had for sure. 

And makes me not like the NCAA even more. Those ratios are absurd, but now I get why people say that a girl athlete has a better chance at a scholarship in some pretty obscure sports.

I think that the NCAA model is striving for a semblance of competitive balance and it doesn't jive with title ix so well. I also think that the law as it was written was short sighted in its effects on male sports. But hindsight and all. 

I would also say that if male sports are being discriminated against, we should maybe be looking at a fix like we did with title ix

Bottom line is football offers 85 scholarships to men, and none to women. So an additional, equalizing 85 women's scholarships are offered to women in other--usually more "obscure"--sports. 

Check out http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

For more details. 

ETA: the article covers that. But there's kind of an editorial spin there. I'm not sure I buy the premise that requiring an equal number of scholarships for men and women is a bad thing. If the football coaches want more football scholarships to dole out, fine--give football 135 scholarships and womens' sports another 50 scholarships too. 

I agree with the article's author: "But if you leave preconceptions aside and just look at the data, you will find that the real enemy of men's sports isn't Title IX. It's NCAA scholarship limits."

26 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

I think that the NCAA model is striving for a semblance of competitive balance and it doesn't jive with title ix so well. I also think that the law as it was written was short sighted in its effects on male sports. But hindsight and all. 

I would also say that if male sports are being discriminated against, we should maybe be looking at a fix like we did with title ix

I agree, the strongest point I think the article makes is that even in regard to women's athletics the NCAA scholarship numbers don't make sense with the popularity of sports amongst women athletes. Why should a school be capped at 11 soccer scholarships with 20 times the demand when they have 15 rowing scholarships that they are struggle every year to award? My initial reaction to the removal of the caps was that football schools would swing all of the male scholarships into their football program, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Because then other schools could swing theirs into their other sports like baseball and soccer. A school that did that would have to seriously consider whether entering into that arms race was in the interests of the athletic program and student body. But, it would allow strong soccer schools to start their own arms race. While I'm not sure that's the best answer, I did like the suggestion of cap ranges that reflect the popularity of sports rather than some obscure cap that virtually mandates women's rowing and equestrial teams while stripping soccer, and softball teams. That phrase "rather than hunting for phantom hockey and rugby players" was very telling. I thought that was due to Title IX, but apparently not.

Once again it seems the NCAA's money first "one size fits all" approach is hampering more than it's helping. Stunner. I just want the NCAA to answer why a school in Southern Florida can't take their skiing scholarship allotment and slide it into sports where they'll actually get students? And why can't a Nevada school take its rowing allotment and divy it up amongst other sports?

5 minutes ago, Redskin-All-In said:

Bottom line is football offers 85 scholarships to men, and none to women. So an additional, equalizing 85 women's scholarships are offered to women in other--usually more "obscure"--sports. 

Check out http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

For more details. 

That's what the "party line" is, but the NCAA caps the number of scholarships that are available for each sport. Title IX says that equal scholarships need to be given, the NCAA says that only 14 of those can go to the women's soccer team, while 20 have to go toward women's rugby. 

And that's stupid.

For the record, the article I posted has the chart you linked, but it explains that the NCAA, and not the schools determine the cap numbers for the different sports. Why is there no latitude for schools to move scholarships around within their programs based on need and demand? The NCAA forces the "obscure sports" phenomenon women's college sports.

7 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Once again it seems the NCAA's money first "one size fits all" approach is hampering more than it's helping. Stunner. I just want the NCAA to answer why a school in Southern Florida can't take their skiing scholarship allotment and slide it into sports where they'll actually get students? And why can't a Nevada school take its rowing allotment and divy it up amongst other sports?

That's what the "party line" is, but the NCAA caps the number of scholarships that are available for each sport. Title IX says that equal scholarships need to be given, the NCAA says that only 14 of those can go to the women's soccer team, while 20 have to go toward women's rugby. 

And that's stupid.

Was ETA'ing while you typed that to make a similar point. I agree. 

(Although it kills me to do so since my daughter's a rower :))

Pretty sure my son made the Louisville team tonight. He had an evaluation with the goalkeeper coach for the program. There was 2-3 college players, 2-3 high school seniors, he was working out with them and was working step for step what they were doing. 

I got an opportunity to speak with the coach afterward and he said that he liked what Ethan had to offer with ability and size, he also was talking about the fact that every keeper he's trained has gone on to play college ball DIII-DI. It was a good conversation and very positive toward Ethan's prospect with the team. Best part is that he's the Louisville City FC (USL Team) keeper coach. 

This will have him playing the KPL (Kentucky Premier League) and MRL (Midwest Regional League) schedules.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived