Extremeskins

Boswell:The Redskins Have Started the Process

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11595-2003Nov24.html

I6568-2000Mar14

The Redskins Have Started the Process

By Thomas Boswell

Tuesday, November 25, 2003; Page D01

Sometimes a team is too close to its own misery to see itself clearly.

After six losses in seven games, culminating in back-to-back blown leads in the fourth quarter, leading to defeats by three points and one point, the Redskins are very close to despising themselves. You can hear the loathing in every disgusted postgame voice. But do the Redskins have themselves pegged correctly?

"We're all losers now," Steve Spurrier said bitterly after Sunday's night's 24-23 loss at Miami. He meant it only in the context of one game. But the words were still chilling.

Late Sunday night, Champ Bailey's eyes flashed as he cursed at the mere mention of his team's obvious talent. "The [heck] with the talent. . . . Some teams find ways to win. We're the exact opposite. We find ways to lose."

Middle linebacker Jesse Armstead's face could be used for a portrait called "NFL Pride." Week after week, defeat after defeat, he stands in front of his locker and answers every question as though it were a form of self-punishment.

"We just don't make the plays down the stretch. That's the problem. But I don't know why it is. . . . We work as hard as everybody else. We've got a lot of talent. That's what hurts. . . . I just want to run into a wall," he said Sunday. "We have to keep fighting and build on what we have. But I don't know what we have right now."

Perhaps most wounded, shocked and embarrassed of all is Spurrier, who this month benched himself as signal caller, inflicting two weeks of public self-mortification. The man with the $25 million contract put a dunce cap on his own head. His NFL record is now 11-16. Norv Turner was 40-36-1 his last five seasons and Marty Schottenheimer 8-8 with an 8-3 finish his only season. Were those the glory days?

Kick the Redskins when they're down if you want. But what's the fun in that? They're doing such a great job of it themselves, week after week, heaping on the self-criticism. Who could beat them at their own game? From the September day they committed 18 penalties against the Giants and lost by a field goal, the Redskins have been tearing at their own flesh. But maybe enough is enough.

The Redskins, often called the only billion-dollar franchise in American sports, are always surrounded by astronomical demands from fans, media and the team's out-on-the-ledge-by-halftime owner. Surrounded by such pressure, which quickly becomes internalized, it's easy to ignore the obvious. What the Redskins are missing is that, in their last four games, they are finally starting to play the game of football properly for the first time since Spurrier arrived. Victory is a process. First, you play better. Then, sometime later, as a byproduct of improved performance, you start to win. Then, the chemistry of victory feeds on itself, building a "winning atmosphere."

But the early stages, when the play improves slowly but the results stay rotten, is a bear. That's when it's easy to throw up your hands impatiently in disgust and despair of the whole process just as it's turning your way. The Redskins, after so many dispiriting losses, may be dangerously close to that point when clubs in all sports throw in the towel, tank the season and destroy the very thing they're barely started to build -- a team. Sometimes the corniest locker room cliche is also the truth: Suck it up or pack it in.

Throughout this month, the Redskins have played like the team they probably should have been all season. Against four straight quality opponents, three of those games on the road, they have battled on even terms with an excellent chance to win every game. By and large, they have not been careless or cavalier -- the criticisms that have dogged the franchise for years. They have not committed mindless pre-snap penalties or blown assignments. They even had a no-penalty game. They have fought hard and lost bitterly. Against four teams with a combined record of 30-14, the Redskins have been outscored by just four points, 85-81. If the playoffs started now, all those teams -- the Cowboys, Seahawks, Panthers and Dolphins -- would be in.

Spurrier, so accustomed to victory for so long at Florida, seems to have forgotten how long it takes to "coach 'em up," to develop a young quarterback and to go from talented-but-mediocre to championship quality. When his team is behind, he needs to come up with a sideline expression other than, "I'm losing" and "I'm still losing." Take an acting class. Look around the league. When Bill Parcells or Dick Vermeil is losing, does he look as if he is losing? No, Parcells and Vermeil look as if, pretty soon, they expect to be winning again. That's how Spurrier looked at Florida.

With five games left and, at 4-7 with no real playoff chances, the Redskins need to grasp their true situation quickly. They're at the exact point where they can continue to improve and lay a foundation for next season. Or they can pretty much blow the "Spurrier Era" to smithereens before it begins.

"This is a tough league and everything takes time," said Turner, now the Dolphins' offensive coordinator. "I think Spurrier is a great coach, but things don't get built overnight in this league."

In fact, some things, such as the Redskins' defense, need to be rebuilt. The irony of this Washington season is that, just as Spurrier's offense has moved into the top half of the league, the team's defense, without coordinator Marvin Lewis, has allowed 256 points. Only six teams have given up more.

This week many will debate the virtues of battered Patrick Ramsey vs. Tim Hasselbeck. At the moment, either can probably run the offense adequately, neither wonderfully, though Ramsey may someday. What the Redskins really need is a defense in which all 11 men are confident that their mates are where they're supposed to be.

Under the stern Lewis, the egos in the Redskins' defense were kept in some semblance of order. Sometimes, one player can earn the right to be a unilateral wild man, like Lawrence Taylor. But, aside perhaps from LaVar Arrington, no Redskin belongs in that category. But some seem to think they do. Bruce Smith wants that last record-breaking sack mighty badly. And sometimes, on fourth and one late in the fourth quarter, Jeremiah Trotter just can't help himself and decides to blitz. Oops, there goes his man for an undefended 25-yard flat pass.

Though few ever want to mention it, the Redskins have been a mediocre-to-poor team for 10 of the last 11 years. In the NFL, that's an eon. The process of creating a team that plays the game excellently -- then, slowly and painfully, translates that gradual improvement that into victories -- takes time and patience. The reason the Redskins don't consistently play like winners or feel like winners, despite their collective payroll, is simple. As a group, the Redskins haven't been "winners" for a long time. They need to sneak up on it.

For the last month, they've actually made quite a bit of progress. Now, will they build on it? Or will they blow it up and have to start the laborious process of Redskins reclamation all over again next season?

I was thinking the same thing. They've taken care of most of the fundamentals over the last four weeks but have lost some close games against good teams. If they keep on playing solid, mistake free ball, they'll start to win.

I was getting ready to post a thread that Spurrier and the redskins have gotten more respect in the last two loses than at anytime during the season.

I am glad to see, someone else see's that there is progress being made, and the Skins are close to to turning the corner in year 3

The only problem I see with this is the season coming to a end and players not playing for any thing else but pride. But sometimes players let lose a little if playoffs hopes are dead. Also, if things really start clicking, the season end will be near and then we start that dubious off season stuff again. Can this team carry taht over to next year. Will Champ be gone? Bruce will be gone along with some others. Thank God Bruce is leaving, but what about some of the others that think they're gonna be sticking around "sorry, but not".

It's gonna have to be a chemistry that these guys are gonna have to rekindle. But the verdict is still out on the coaches. Will the coaches be able to lead the team and newer players that arrive? are they capable of putting players in better positions to win opposed to this year, what have they learned?

It's gonna be all question marks next year and if things look boggled early like they did this year. Man! lifes gonna suck cause we're gonna be stuck once again with the same old coaching staff.

It would appear that the Skins ARE actually becoming a team....albeit slowly and painfully. The only thing we can hope for is that Danny Boy lets this continue and doesn't force wholesale changes in the team (although a few coaching changes might not hurt). Being a Cubs fan, I know all about "wait till next year", but in football, that often IS the case. We are playing good teams close (Bucs game notwithstanding), blowing chances to actually win the game. The things that are happening to the Skins can be corrected, let's hope Spurrier and DS stay the course....

...oh...excellent article....

Excellent article!!!

I started a thread a few weeks ago saying why losing the game did not hurt that much and it stated how we only had one penalty and played better when it came to basics. I guess I wrote my thread poorly because no one who replaied got what I was saying. The replies were on how they were getting use to losing. You never get use to losing but after the demise that was created by Norv it will take a few years to get things back on track. If they continue to improve like past few weeks we will be a very good team next year.

Great article! We still having something to play for the last 5 weeks. Beating 3 NFC East teams(Giants, Cowgirls, and Eagles). That will show how improved this team is. We lost to the Giants in OT, because of 18 penalties. They are playing pretty mistake free football against very good teams. The Skins, I hope with a few adjustments/players will be a very competitive/good team next year, and will turn the corner for a playoff run.

Well...it started out good.

Then he started making the points that everyone around here already knows.

I thought he would support his thesis, that the Redskins have started the process...of becoming a team, but instead, he criticized everything and drew no tangible conclusions.

So...I thought it was OK. Not bad buddy.

Originally posted by flashback

As fans, everyone likes to hope for the best, but your team has a whole lot of question marks heading into the off-season, regardless of how they play the last 5 weeks.

Pretty profound, flash.

How many teams in the NFL would say this does not apply to? :)

Originally posted by Om

Pretty profound, flash.

How many teams in the NFL would say this does not apply to? :)

Well, it'll be awhile before we see every teams 2004 payroll in relation to the Salary cap, but I'd say there are probably quite a few teams out there who are:

a) over .500

B) under next years salary cap.

The Eagles and Cowboys come to mind. I'd would think that the Panthers, Bengals, Ravens and Patriots might fall into that category, too.

Sure, that's a big category, teams with "a lot of question marks". I'll narrow it down. How 'bout "teams with questions about their GM, HC, DC, OC, #1 CB, DL, OL, and RB."

Happy?

Archived