Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boswell:The Redskins Have Started the Process

TK

Originally posted by flashback

Well, it'll be awhile before we see every teams 2004 payroll in relation to the Salary cap, but I'd say there are probably quite a few teams out there who are:

a) over .500

B) under next years salary cap.

The Eagles and Cowboys come to mind. I'd would think that the Panthers, Bengals, Ravens and Patriots might fall into that category, too.

Sure, that's a big category, teams with "a lot of question marks". I'll narrow it down. How 'bout "teams with questions about their GM, HC, DC, OC, #1 CB, DL, OL, and RB."

Happy?

Are you insinuating that we have questions at all those positions?

Hmm, that seems like a pretty stupid comment. And by this logic, pretty much any rebuilding team would have these question marks, if only because their record can easily be under 500.

As for the Cowboys success in their first season with Parcells, I'm not trying to take anything away from Parcells, but seriously, I thought Dave Campo had to be a complete moron to do so poorly with the Cowboys players. They were never as bad as their record was (which was HILARIOUS and endless entertainment for me last year, oh well). I mean, come on, the OPTION in the NFL? With Quincy Carter? Doomed before the season began. I was worried about the Cowboys until I heard that. Option. NFL. QC. That still makes me grin.

Quoth flashback:

Well, it'll be awhile before we see every teams 2004 payroll in relation to the Salary cap, but I'd say there are probably quite a few teams out there who are:

a) over .500

B) under next years salary cap.

Right. So until we DO have enough info to speak meaningfully on the cap, perhaps we can do away with “b” right off. Feel free to discuss it in the hypothetical sense, if you like – I probably won’t, though.

As to “a” ... are we saying that being over .500 at this point means a team has no “questions,” and are thus all set and ready to go into a sunny future? I sure hope that’s what Parcells, Reid, Fox, Tice, Sherman, Martz, Belichick, Wannstedt, Dungy, Fisher, Billick, Lewis, Vermeil and Shanahan feel, too ... cause it’d make it a whole lot easier for MY guy to catch up.

The Eagles and Cowboys come to mind. I'd would think that the Panthers, Bengals, Ravens and Patriots might fall into that category, too.

I disagree. Or at least I do until we can talk about the nature OF those “questions;” and the relative degrees of the seriousness of said questions; and the importance to the particular teams of said questions in relation to totality of circumstances ON their teams. But even if we were to do that, I suspect you’d not get any one of the teams you name here to say they’re “set” in more than a tiny handful of the areas on their teams. Not just talking public statements here, talking about the realities of just how different today’s NFL teams are from year to year, and how quickly what appears to be a strength – or at least not a weakness – on a given team can turn aroudn in a flash.

Witness Tampa’s defense. Witness the Raiders utter collapse.

Witness Carolina, with it’s QB-from-nowhere and the charmed life they’ve led this year. Witness your own Cowboys, with their QB-from-the-edge-of-oblivion, and their “questions” at RB, and their miracle-worker of a HC getting them on track to have just a huge, HUGE target on their chests next year (downplay that if you like, but I’d recommend not underestimating the effect that’s gonna have on the teams you guys see early next year).

Should I go on?

Sure, that's a big category, teams with "a lot of question marks". I'll narrow it down. How 'bout "teams with questions about their GM, HC, DC, OC, #1 CB, DL, OL, and RB.”

I assume from that laundry list you’ve been reading the threads around here. Most clever.

Bottom line ... if we ever DID come to a workable definition of what the “questions” you threw into this discussion were, I would certainly agree with you (wholeheartedly, on some) that the Redskins do in fact have “questions” in some of those areas. On others, I would end up disagreeing with your take on just how serious the “questions” were on this team at this time. And on others still, I would probably say maybe you should maybe read a few more of the threads around here, because most of them have been fleshed out to utter exhaustion already, and maybe they aren’t quite the debilitating “questions” you have apparently deemed them. :)

Not sure how much time you have today. Me ... not so much. But I’ll try to keep up.

Happy?

Usually, yes.

Thanks for asking.

What has also been ironic is that as the team has lost more and more of it's "irreplaceable" starters to injury the past 3-4 weeks, the better the team has played :)

Maybe that is an indication that guys who are hungry to play and get a chance in this league are just as valuable and necessary on a 53 man roster as the frontrunners that think because they have made a pro bowl or been a #1 or #2 pick that they have the world by the balls :D

Archived