Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Redskins' Smith Upset Over Playing Time

TK

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/7340310.htm

Redskins' Smith Upset Over Playing Time

JOSEPH WHITE

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. - In no mood to celebrate tying the all-time sacks record, Bruce Smith took his case for more playing time to Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder.

Smith got a half-sack in Washington's 24-23 loss at Miami on Sunday night. But the constant losing and his demotion to backup status has the 40-year-old defensive end too upset to enjoy the fact he's equaled Reggie White's mark of 198.

Smith said he discussed his limited role with Snyder after the game.

"I can't help this team win if I'm not on the field," Smith said. "This is not a selfish statement - I want to help this team win. And being on the sideline, my hands are tied. I think Mr. Snyder was a little disappointed of the fact of that when I talked to him. I'm at a loss for words."

Smith was taken out of the starting lineup four games ago, the first time he has played without starting since 1986. At the time, he said he felt he was being singled out by coach Steve Spurrier and that it was perhaps time to "take a stand and be a little selfish."

Smith teamed with Renaldo Wynn to sack Brian Griese for a 9-yard loss in the first quarter Sunday night. It gave Smith just three sacks on the season, on pace for his worst year since 1991, when he played only five games because of injuries.

Smith and Wynn smiled and hugged after the sack, and Smith tossed the ball to the Washington sideline for a souvenir. Griese became the 72nd quarterback Smith has sacked.

But there were no smiles in a very angry locker room after the defense allowed two long fourth-quarter drives to blow a 23-10 lead. The Redskins (4-7) have lost six of seven.

"Even if the mark had been broken, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it. I want to win," Smith said. "That's the only thing that I'm selfish about. I want to win. You have a locker room full of guys who are selfish from that aspect. We want to win.

"It just seems as though we find ways to screw it up. That's why that locker room was so frustrated."

Smith, who is expected to retire at the end of the season, has five games left to break the record White set during a 16-year career with Philadelphia, Green Bay and Carolina. The record dates to 1982, when the sack became an official NFL statistic.

Originally posted by TK421Clicker

In no mood to celebrate tying the all-time sacks record, Bruce Smith took his case for more playing time to Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder.

You know what?

CUT THE MOTHERF*CKER.

Now.

I'm dead serious. He's in the record books already. He's tied the record. This is the absolute perfect time to cut him and make the kind of statement I'm dying to hear.

We took Bruce Smith along far enough to tie the record. He can see how much playing time he gets on some other team. Go someplace else to kick Reggie White off the pedestal with you.

Up til now, I thought we had somewhat of a mutual commitment with Bruce Smith. Well, he's got the record now.

Get off our f*cking team now, punk.

And Snyder: shame on you. You should never have let him in the door to see you. It's this sh!t that makes you a little man among giants, not your height.

The biggest statement they could make is to either cut or suspend smith for this.

But then again, it speaks volumes if smith gets away with it and nothing is done to him. To other players as well as everyone else.

There's no way a coaching staff can have control of a team if anyone, even Darrell Green can go to the owner with impunity. and if the owner sides with the player.... :doh:

I'm in agreement, except I think he should go the route of Keyshawn and be deactivated for the rest of the season. We'd be responsible for his remaining salary, but I wouldn't allow him anywhere near the facility or other players. He's a selfish punk and the team should rid themselves of these type of cancer players.

Snyder is repsonsible for his accessabiity, he should close his damn door and tell the players to take football matters up with the coach. JESUS!!!!! Every owner knows this, adheres to this policy, except Snyder..... and he's to dense to see the damage that occurs.

DEACTIVATE for the SEASON......DEACTIVATE for the SEASON!!!!!!

Originally posted by Cskin

I'm in agreement, except I think he should go the route of Keyshawn and be deactivated for the rest of the season. We'd be responsible for his remaining salary, but I wouldn't allow him anywhere near the facility or other players. He's a selfish punk and the team should rid themselves of these type of cancer players.

Snyder is repsonsible for his accessabiity, he should close his damn door and tell the players to take football matters up with the coach. JESUS!!!!! Every owner knows this, adheres to this policy, except Snyder..... and he's to dense to see the damage that occurs.

DEACTIVATE for the SEASON......DEACTIVATE for the SEASON!!!!!!

It may have been one of those conversations that occurs as he exits the lockerroom, leaves the facility, etc...could've cornered Snyder or ambushed him with it, a situation Snyder would have little control over. I would hope ANY boss would say 'You got a beef about playing time? I suggest you speak to the coach yourself and I don't want to read about it in the Washington Post'

Let him play out the season and then go away. Heck, give him more PT, what does it matter we are just playing out the string. I was in favor of cutting him in 2001, but doing it now would just cause more upheaval and chaos. I'd like for the team to finish the season with as few soap opera skits as possible.

Cut the piece of ****. I can't believe he would go to Danny boy. No respect and SS needs to get respect from the team by cutting his ass. Let him go somewhere else and break the record. The only sacks he's had been half sacks-helped from others. He sucks. Danny boy just wants to make money off him when he break the record and he wants to get his 750k bonus for breaking the record. SS needs to cut his ass to get respect here or see you later, another year of no control. This pisses me off.

Bruce, go **** yourself you piece of ****.

Force him to play every single snap until he can't stand up. Hell we aint going to the playoffs, so why not make a fool out of this guy?

Ok on a more serious note. Bruce has got to be kidding himself, he wants MORE reps? He can barely get a push half the time he is out there. This organization has basically held his hand for the past couple of season trying to giftwrap his sack record for him. He better get a half a sack by the time the season ends.

I believe this type of s*** in a nutshell demonstrates why we have been through three coaches in four years and cannot seem to shake the losing aura. If a veteran player like Bruce Smith, who has been with the 'Skins for several years, believes that the best way to get playing time is to ignore the head coach and go straight to the owner, there are serious problems in the organization and I doubt that Bill Parcells himself could fix them. I am starting to believe that no coach in the world could come in here and get us over the hump as long as his authority is continually challenged in this type of fashion.

Archived