Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Rookie class report card

Playaction2Sanders

Now that looks like Cravens is done for the year with that bicep injury I figure why not have a report card session on this years class. While last years class continues to produce for us, this one looks like its done in the production category for the year despite the fact we have two who are getting playing time.. Wanted to get your thoughts..

1. Doctson : Inc. - Scot's breaking of his hand at the news of Josh' Achilles injury sort of had me worried about this kids future, I don't know if Scot was worried about his long term future or just this season in terms of his production but it sucks having your top pick do nothing his rookie year due to injury. People want to say we saw potential in the Dallas game after his long catch, I just saw blow coverage by Dallas and Djax opening up the sideline for him being a distraction. Hope he comes back strong in 2017.

2. Su'a Cravens: B- - We'll remember his pick vs NY for years to come, he's fantastic at shadowing mobile QB's I liked what I saw in the kid. Worried about his health down the road, dealt with nagging injuries most of the year and now is probably done with this bicep injury. IDK about these "HYBRID" linebacker/safeties or FAT CORNERS meanwhile Craven's isn't big enough to be super physical in the middle. I prefer a Sean Taylor type physique. Now THATS a hybrid LB/S

3. Kendall Fuller: C- - we saw this kid get beat over and over again, but I also saw some great throws beat some decent coverage by him. He's 21, I hope he doesn't go Amerson on us ( that's becoming a Redskin noun around here when it comes to our dbs). I feel after watching tape on his rookie year he can correct his mistakes and hopefully improve. He's crazy young.

4. Matt Ioannidis: Inc./D+ - He's playing now, we had him on the shelf for a while on a crappy D-line though, so I'm assuming he wasn't ready yet and has finally gotten his opportunity of late. But I've never heard his name when he's out there.. Guess he's a project for down the road, I'm kind dissappointed in the lack of production given that he got so much high praise coming out of Temple and the 2016 draft class was SUPPOSEDLY full of good DT's and a few have put up some numbers this year.

5. Sudfeld/Steven Daniels/Keith Marshall - F - Can't really knock Scot for injuries to rookies, its out of his control, Sudfeld looked like a career clipboard holder in the preseason, no big deal. Not being able to see what Daniels could do and Marshall did little in what we saw from him, the back end of the draft was a wash..

6. UDFA - Kevin Bowen, Rob Kelley, Maurice Harris, Joe Gore, Anthony Lanier, Joe Kerridge, Valdez Showers, Geno Matias Smith, Micheal Cooper, Tevin Carter, Ejiro Ederaine, Reggie Diggs, Dominik Jackson: B 

The fact that Scot found Kelley whose getting Marshawn Lynch comparisons is one of better finds in Redskins UDFA history, what the future holds for him will be up to him but to get that kind of production out of someone taken where he was is insane. Lanier made the team on pure effort and maybe that manifests down the road, who knows. Maurice Harris has been a solid contributor and you cant hear enough good things about the kid, he catches everything thrown his way, he blocks, he plays good special teams.. Go figure the rookie WR production this year would come from the Undrafted department. Compare this UDFA class to last years, where I don't think any of them are on our roster, Scotty probably saved his 2016 draft with the undrafted kids.. If those who finished hurt comeback and produce in 2017, the 2016 class could get 2016 comparisons, we just had to wait longer for them to develop..

In the meantime though I was a bit disappointed in the kids drafted simply due to injuries.. I give it a C overall simply due to the fact SM saved it with his undrafted kids, and it could potentially be a better grade if those injured produce in 2017 along with the UDFA..

I still am not criticizing the class, but our first two picks have serious long-terms concerns. No one knows what the deal is with Doctson, but Cravens is way too small to play violently the way he does in the NFL. He has to either get bigger, or tackle smarter. Hopefully the first part because we all love the way he sets everything on the line and is a missile out there. I think Fuller, Lanier, and Kelley will be very good players for us in the foreseeable future 

You are extremely generous.

Doctson is an F.  1st rounders need to contribute right away, otherwise they are a waste.  

Cravens is a C at best.  The C is for the pick against the G-Men, otherwise D.  Can't stay healthy. 

These grades may improve with time, but let's be real, this class is a royal dud so far. 

I think Cravens and Fuller were essentially our last hope at salvaging this draft class.  Doctson is likely to be a bust based on the fact that he was drafted at such a late age - the Julio Joneses, AJ Greens, and Dez Bryants of the world all declare for the draft as juniors.  Guys who end up being elite in the NFL at WR don't sit around for a 4th year at college (5th in the case of Doctson) - since Reggie Wayne was drafted in 2001, I think Steve Smith is the best college senior WR to get drafted in rounds 1-3.  Think about how many insanely talented WRs have gone in and out of the league in that time frame.

Bad freshman grades for sure. Cravens and Fuller have some potential, but haven't really flashed in a way to make you excited. Rob Kelley has been pretty good, but not necessarily good enough that you don't want him competing for his job next year. Otherwise? Anyone?

There are many who regularly post on this Board who could have done a better job with this Draft than Scot.  

Who woulda thunk that Kelley, Mo Harris and Sudfeld would end up being the standouts.

Proves my point ... made many times ... that Draft is a gigantic crap-shoot!

39 minutes ago, zoony said:

This is shaping up to be the worst Redskins draft class in several years

Cravens strikes me as JAG. Situational player at best who can't crack the starting lineup on the leagues worst defense. 

2012 was by far the worst draft class in recent years. Only Cousins, drafted to be a back up, remained with the team after the rookie deals expired and only because he is under the Franchise tag. The draft was made that much worse considering what Washington gave up in order to draft Griffin.

It's far too early to grade the 2016 draft. Doctson would likely grade low, if it wasn't incomplete. Very rarely do 1st year receivers make an immediate deep impact. Even Dez Bryant only had about 560 yards his rookie year.

As much as I like following the draft and root for lower picks and UDFAs to succeed, I've come to the realization that picks after the middle of the 5th round are akin to crap shoots with the button on 4 or 10 and having UDFAs work out are like hitting a hard way even number.

Archived