Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The NFL's new touchback rule

carex

9 minutes ago, roanoker said:

It seems that the D is getting screwed again. What would be more interesting is on touchbacks the ball is placed on the 25 and the offense gets 3 downs.

the NFL is looking to cut down on injuries, not scoring.

They should just eliminate the kickoff altogether, rather than change the rules every year trying to accomplish the same thing.  

On 7/31/2016 at 2:03 PM, carex said:

And eliminating the kickoff makes it harder for comebacks

So does moving the kickoff to the 35.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

They should just eliminate the kickoff altogether, rather than change the rules every year trying to accomplish the same thing.  

So does moving the kickoff to the 35.

the kickoff was at the 35 for decades and comebacks still happened

I could go for a compromise.  I've been thinking about it this weekend watching the games. 

It was mentioned that some ST coaches might try and pooch the ball down on the goal line in the corners.  We tried that and it backfired on us.  Some fans have said it sucks because, again, it favors the offense.

Here is what I would do:

1. If the kicker booms it out of the end zone, touchback and it goes to the 25.

2. If the return man catches it in the end zone, but decides to not bring it out.  Touchback and it goes to the 20.

I think that might be a fair compromise.

On 8/13/2016 at 1:18 PM, carex said:

you think it's already a perfect game?

YGTBSM. It seems obvious to me that "perfect" or GODelling is taking a bite out of the game each year until it evolves into something less harmful than flag football.

We'd still have kickoffs after scores they would just be punts. Safer and more exciting

Just imagine an onside punt. The kicker launches it into the air and it comes down into a crowd of both teams just waiting for it. It would be glorious anarchy. That ball could end up anywhere. Even on non-onside punts, just regular punts that take the place of kickoffs, there is greater chance of a muffed punt or fumble. Would be great. 

Plus without having to waste time practicing kickoffs, both punt teams would be much more improved. Would make for a pretty competitive dynamic added to the game rather than the rabbit out of the ass kickoff return TD that might happen 3-4 times among all teams for the season. Yawn. More starters or at least better players could play on punt units too because the reduced risk of injury and it's increased importance in the game 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived