Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something Interesting Happened Today...

Ignatius J.

Now, I might just have to duck as soon as I say this, but, hear me out....

If for some reason everyone goes D-line crazy in front of us in the draft, and if we manage to resign russell and zellner.....

If a star running back starts dropping and we find him sitting there for our pick.... could we?

Would it be excusable?

I'm not saying it, because we NEED help at D-line bad. I'm not real good with the whole draft thing so I don't even know if there is such a stud out there... but if.....

what do you guys think?

-DB

I agree completely, I would do it anyways.

Lional Dalton really seems to be coming on. I guess he's finally in shape. Therefore he's playing as good as usual. And we know Russel can do some damage when he's in shape. Those are two good DT's if they are in shape.

As for DE we have Upshaw, who is a solid player. And there are several FA DE's out there to pick up, like Kearse or Winstrom.

I dont like the D Linemen in the draft either, none of them are any good really except for Tommy Harris of OU. Or they just arent worth it to me.

Kevin Jones will probably be available at least until like the 15th pick. Kevin Jones is a STUD BACK!

Kevin Jones is who we should take.

Originally posted by bubba9497

RB can be drafted in the 2nd and third round and still be stars. Look at Portis, Davis, Anderson all for Denver. Jones may drop to the second round. There are several good backs coming out this year, few DL that can make an impact. I just hope the Skins draft wisely.

Very wise indeed. Thought the exact same thing.

Originally posted by bubba9497

RB can be drafted in the 2nd and third round and still be stars. Look at Portis, Davis, Anderson all for Denver. Jones may drop to the second round. There are several good backs coming out this year, few DL that can make an impact. I just hope the Skins draft wisely.

Jones....dropping? Jones is in the running for the Heisman. Why would he drop?

I think if Jones is around during our pick, we'd be crazy not to take him. We need a starting RB. Jones is a stud. The thing is, would SS utilize him correctly??

Our DTs may be coming along, but we are seriously wanting a legit pass rushing DE!! Yes, we're stuffing the run better, but we're not exactly putting fear into the hearts of opposing QBs. Upshaw is fragile and rather average. Bruce Smith will finally retire. Champ will likely go elsewhere, knowing that his best chance for getting recognition will come from playing for a winner, which means we can't compensate for a lack of pass rush with solid coverage.

Running back is consistently the most likely position to bust in the early rounds of the draft. D line is still by far the biggest need. If there are no D lineman slotted in the spot where you pick, you trade down and get more picks. There are tons of great running backs who were not drafted ion the first round: Ahman Green was a 3rd round pick, Priest Holmes was an undrafted free agent, Stepehn Davis was drafted in the fourth round.

And RB is uaually the position where you see the least drop off when a back up comes in for most teams--See Rudi Johnson, Arlen Harris, Dominic Rhodes, Moe Williams, etc.

And a huge "NO" to Jevon Kearse. He was carted off the field again yesterday and he hasn't come close to playing a full season since his rookie year. And, for that matter, when he has played since then, he has been unspectacular.

Althought Jones has been spectacular as a college tailback, I question whether his style of rushing will transfer well into the NFL. He's kind of a hop-style crease runner.... and although he exhibits power on occasion it isn't his primary skill. Also, doesn't he fumble quite a bit?

As for drafting a RB in the first..... I think that would be a poor draft decision. I'd prefer the F.O. look at several different options along the trenches..... either another OL (OT perhaps with Samuels poor play) or DL. Although the DT may not seem like game changers this year, there are a few DE that might make a measureable difference off the edge.

I'm with those who feel a potential star RB can be found later in round 2 or three. We'll have to see how it all shakes out between now and April.

Originally posted by GoSkins

Jones....dropping? Jones is in the running for the Heisman. Why would he drop?

I think if Jones is around during our pick, we'd be crazy not to take him. We need a starting RB. Jones is a stud. The thing is, would SS utilize him correctly??

Someone always drops, maybe even a couple players. Especially when some no names pop up to become top picks because size and intangibles.

Yes we did, and everyone keeps forgetting Betts is hurt and not playing and was doing real well when he was in.

Are you kidding me. He had a few good runs. But overall, his YPC was worse than Canidate's. Lets face it, Betts was a bad 2nd round draft choice. He can catch pretty well, he's pretty shifty, but he's not someone the defense really has to key in on to stop. We need a premier running back, and Betts is not that at all. He's a good backup. Thats it.

It hurts seeing all these other backs people took in the 2nd round, like Portis or Foster, then seeing the back we took in the 2nd. There is no comparison.

We need a premier back, someone like Kevin Jones, is just that.

Archived