Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Improving from within: Redskins should get help from their 2015 injured list

HapHaszard

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/redskinsblog/improving-within-redskins-should-get-help-their-2015-injured-list

The Redskins have made it clear that they are not satisfied with going 9-7 last year and going one and done in the playoffs.

“I think a lot of people think we had a good year and we won the NFC East which we’re happy about but bottom line is we were 9-8 and wasn’t good enough to our standards that we want to hold for ourselves,” Jay Gruden said during the NFL owners meetings last month. “We have to get a lot better.”

Many fans equate getting better with getting a lot of new players and the Redskins probably will have a significant amount of roster turnover. But bringing in new players is not the only way to improve. A lot of improvement can come from within. Earlier this week we looked at players who were in minor roles last year who could prove to be upgrades and at starters who can improve. Today we’ll examine players who missed most or all of last year with injuries who could have an impact in 2015.

click on the link for more

2015 opened many eyes and gave the team a new glimmer of hope.

How well Gruden & Co. does will be the proving grounds. He will need to find ways to challenge individual players to better themselves, as well as adapt to the influx of players coming off injury and utilize them correctly.

We've seen how one side of the team can get into a slump and the other side becoming emotionally drawn into the downward trend, so both the offense and defense must play separately but as a team and not let one side's failure bring them down.  I hope that between the new players and an upbeat mentality the team will be more balanced and successful, but it will not be easy, so Gruden has his plate full. 

Player's who were healthy in 2015 could be injured in 2016.

Yeah, I think we suffered more than our share of injuries last year, but part of me wonders if it could have been worse - losing Trent/Cousins for example.

Really though, all those injuries allowed other guys to step in and gain valuable experience (Jarrett, Smith, Dunbar, Hall, Compton/Foster, etc.) - in game situations and in our scheme in particular.

I think we have better depth now as a result, as well as a better understanding of our weaknesses.

It will be interesting to see who comes back and how well. It may also be interesting to see what their role becomes. We had A LOT of players we expected to depend on fall very early last year.

Scott definitely earned his pay check in year 1.

I remember we said this same thing during 2013 about getting Orakpo back and Garcon fully healthy and Fred Davis back.

You just never know. If it's not somebody from last year it's another player anyway. It's just part of the game. Hopefully you have enough depth to handle it, which we did last year.

I know, I know, who invited the good news bear. I'll leave and go get some honey now

Archived