Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS RE-SIGN RB CHRIS THOMPSON

TK

For Immediate Release

March 17, 2016

REDSKINS RE-SIGN RB CHRIS THOMPSON

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed exclusive rights free agent running back Chris Thompson. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Thompson (5-8, 193) entered the NFL as a fifth-round selection (154th overall) by the Redskins in the 2013 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 19 regular season games, rushing 38 times for 228 yards (6.0 avg.) and catching 41 passes for 267 receiving yards with three receiving touchdowns.

Thompson played collegiately at Florida State from 2009-12. He appeared in 38 games with eight starts in his career, rushing 277 times for 1,735 yards with 14 rushing touchdowns in addition to compiling 45 receptions for 430 yards with one receiving touchdown in his time as a Seminole.

Thompson, 25, attended Madison County H.S. in Madison, Fla., where he was a four-star prospect who earned PrepStar and Under Armour All-American honors. He was born Oct. 20, 1990

I believe Thompson had 35 catches in 2015 in limited action.

He is the perfect type of RB for this offense. Glad to have him back.

we've been hanging on to him through injuries and stuff. There has to be a reason. I know he's super fast. I wonder how his pass blocking is.

we've been hanging on to him through injuries and stuff. There has to be a reason. I know he's super fast. I wonder how his pass blocking is.

From what I head early on in his career before Matt Jones was the talk for 3DRB that he was a good pass blocker.  This was another reason besides his receiving ability and speed people argued that he would be a good 3rd down running back.  I am not 100% sure, but heard that a lot from the Junkies and here on ES  :P .

Matt Jones taking first and second down rushing reps (with the ability to be a 3rd down running back) with Thompson being in on 3rd downs might be a good idea if the coaches determine that is the best course of action.  

Either way definitely a good change of pace back.  Liked his long runs and the fact he can catch when we need someone like that out of the backfield in our offense.  Now we have that with both Jones and Thompson being exceptional receiving RBs.

Archived